Skip navigation
Stew Brinegar
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 objects moving on pdf export

Jul 16, 2010 7:22 AM

I've been trying to export a multipage pdf to send to my print vendor, and something really weird has been happening: on page 1 of the pdf, one of my text frames has moved into what appears to be the center of the page.

I tried a few things to get it to work properly

• deleting the text frame resulted in a different frame being moved to the center of the spread.
  • swapping pages 1 and 2 resulted in a logo (on the new page 1) being relocated to the corner of the page, and the same frame moving on page 2.
  • exporting to a jpg worked perfectly
  • overriding all master page items did nothing

what finally did the trick was the tried and true method of copy/pasting the whole page into a new document and exporting a pdf from there, then replacing the offending page in my original multipage pdf.

Is there anything I can do to insure that InDesign won't automatically adjust the layout of my documents when I make pdfs?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2010 7:52 AM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

What version of InDesign are you using?

That is not normal behaviour!  Try this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2010 8:13 AM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

The good news is that it will open as an Untitled document. Just don't record over the original by saving it as the same name

as the original.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 12:27 PM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

I have not figured out why it's happening but I have figured out a workaround that helped me out and is much quicker than exporting/reimporting.

I've found that the only layer affected on my pdf are the bottom-most one.  If I switch out the layer that's moving when I PDF with a new layer, it too will be moved and the other layer will now be unaffected.  What I did was create a small box filled with the same color as the background (luckily the catalog I'm working on has a white background) and dropped it to the lowest layer.  That way when I PDF even if that small box is moved around, you'll never notice.  Fixed it 100% of the time for me.

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2011 9:34 AM   in reply to linearmike

This fix worked for me as well. though it is disturbing to think stuff is just going to move around at will.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 10:25 PM   in reply to linearmike

Got same problem at random files. Could‘t understand the reason and system of this error, except that the transfer whole of objects into a new file does not solve the problem. But in my case the problem solves by group "moving" objects with any other and exports are no longer displaced. In any case, it would be damn interesting to know what the root of the problem. Such surprises were typical for CorelDRAW5...

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

I am having a similar issue: a few elements (two pencil-drawn lines and 2 vector eps files) are in a different location in the pdf vs. in the InDesign CS5 document. Other pencil lines and vector files in the same InDesign file stay in their original position. The document is 14 pages, everything on one layer. All 4 of the elements that shift position are on the 2nd of 2 master pages.

The work-arounds offered in this thread and another thread (creating a blank box in the background color; grouping; copying and pasting to a new InDesign file; removing guides) did not work for this file.

The only successful work-around was taking the 4 offending elements off the master page and placing them on each document page.

Though a decent workaround for this particular file (since it's only 14 pages), the issue is disturbing. And it's bizarre that I've been using CS5 heavily for months and this is the first time (that i've noticed...yikes!) that i've encountered this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 10:53 AM   in reply to kristin_gvn2fly

Hello, Kristin!

Not that I can solve your problem with that, but I'd like to know what exact version of inDesign CS5 on what OS platform you are using. Latest version is 7.0.4. At least to the public.

In the past I had issues with images shifting minor amounts when exported to PDF. With minor I mean about 0.05 to 0.1 mm. Not annoying when images standing alone but with adjacent page elements that was a big deal with a customer. Outputting to PostScript and then distilling to PDF was the solution then.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

It happens the same exporting an entire 32-page document. if I export individual pages does not occur. The error occurs when exporting to pdfx3 pdfx1 and more does not occur in pdfx4

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

I just started having this same problem with a file I recived from a new client. The blank square on the layer affected fix works but it's not enough for me. I'm making a 92 page magazine and having this problem when it's going in the press is very scary!

So I tried to make a completely new file/master from scratch and copyed the elements I needed from the old file without the 'paste remember layers' selected. And It worked perfectly untill I had done most of the magazine and this **** problem started happening on pdf export again! ARRGH! This is sooo frustrating. I need an answer/good fix to this ASAP! I have worked with Indesign in 6 years and this is the first time I have ever had this problem.

HELP!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to dbdee

Ok, so my workaround for this issue of the magazine is to place the transparent box in the masterpages in its own layer called BUGFIX, this works fine on export. And I really hope someone will find a better solution to this problem for my next issue of this magazine,

cuz this is very scary!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to dbdee

@dbdee – What is your PDF export profile? PDF/X-1a related? Do you flatten  transparencies due to using PDF v 1.3 for output?

If so try to export via PDF/X-4, if your printers permit it.
    If they will not accept PDF/X-4, try the PostScript-then-distill-to-pdf route.

Occasionally we had the same problems and a PDF/X-4 output was the solution.
    Or PostScript-to-distiller, if you dare ;-)

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to dbdee

As I said, group (ctrl+g) "moving" object with any other. For now it is the best solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Dr.Romano

Since you cannot know in advance if the problem rears its ugly head I'd prefer PDF/X-4 output.
    Or PostScript to distiller.

With that in mind you should be on the save side…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Laubender

In my case, the problem persisted regardless of the version of the pdf output or tool. With a sweep through the Distiller was the result is the same. The only way to fix it - grouping the objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Dr.Romano

Thank you for commenting, DrRomano.
    Very interesting. Could you provide a small test sample (IDML) for downloading?

Could you test in InDesign CS5.5?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Laubender

Don't met this bug in 5.5.
    Can't provide a sample, it was almost year ago, so i just don't remember what files has this issue.

I met with this problem several times but could not simulate it in brand new file with brand new objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to Laubender

Interesting the different solutions that work, or don't work, for the same problem.

We had this issue a while ago and while we never managed to establish what the trigger was for the behavior, the solution for us was to make sure that the setting for Output with Convert to Destination, was Document CMYK. When Document RGB was selected the element/s moved.

It seemed to be entirely random as to when it happened and what element was affected. And as others have said, it wasn't possible to make the issue happen consistently, so it was impossible to thoroughly troubleshoot it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to Laubender

Thanks Uwe!

Just upgraded and working with CS5 document in CS5.5, first time I have ever seen this happen. Exporting to PDF/X-4 worked a treat! I'm just hoping I don't come across this when I need to send in PDF/X-1.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

Just ran into this problem today. Got an email from my account rep at the printer asking to confirm image and text postitions on certain pages. Took a look at the PDF and sure enough, some text and image frames had moved. It seems like everything moved a set distance either left or right, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind which objects moved and if they moved right or left. That'll teach me to send a PDF to press without looking at it first. Been working with InDesign over 7 years and I've never seen anything as bizarre as this. No software changes or updates lately. I moved all of the objects back to where they were supposed to be, re-exported with the same settings as before (they were still saved) and it worked just fine. Saved INDD after export, nothing moved. I'm completely baffled - but this is a really scary problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to Stew Brinegar

Same problem here. If my exporting range is the offending spread plus a spread after and a few spreads before (like eight pages total) it doesn't happen, but when I export about 25 pages including the offending spread, it does happen. I wonder if it's linked to using Paste in Place, because I pasted in the offending objects using Paste in Place. And for me, it seemed to be the backmost object, so if I did Bring to Front on the offending object, a different object would be shifted during next export. I used linearmike's fix

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points