• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbers incorrect after conversion from Excel to pdf

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Adobe Standard for years to convert multi-tab Excel files to pdf.  I have the footer set up to number page X of Y at the bottom of each page.  I can print to pdf and the page numbers are correct.  However, if I use the Convert to pdf add-in, the pages each show page 1 of 1 at the bottom.  This began when I bought a new workstation with Office 2010 and Adobe X standard.  I have spent 3 hours with Adobe tech support personnel trying to fix it only to have them come back to say that that functionality no longer exists with Adobe X, but then to have them escalate the issue to a higher level.

Is anyone else having this issue?  I would like a solution, rather than a workaround, since this software isn't cheap and this is basically the only thing we use it for.

I have earlier versions of Adobe but they're not compatible with Office 2010 so it seems I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Please let me know if there is futher detail needed or if anyone has any insight!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

I am using Office Pro 2010 and Acrobat Pro X. I have found a work-around as follows:

1) On the ribbon click "File" and select "Save-As"

2) For "Save as Type" select "PDF"

3) Under "Options" Select "Entire Workbook"

4) Click "Save"

This works for me, hope it is of help to you. It's a shame we can't simply convert as we used to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you mean by the plugin, PDF Maker (often denoted create PDF on an Acrobat menu in the product) and not the MS plugin. Have you updated both products? One thing to note that a few years back this problem existed with WORD, but it was an issue with WORD, not Acrobat. Have you tried different output or prints with OFFICE to be sure that is not the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply!

Correct- I am using the Create PDF option in Excel.  Both products are up to date.

I don't have this problem when I print to pdf.  Acrobat is also capable of numbering the pages correctly if they are all on the same tab.  It's when they're on separate tabs that it doesn't number them properly.

Also, I didn't have any trouble with earlier versions of Excel and Acrobat.  I used 6.0 and 8.0 with success over the past several years with Office XP and 2007.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a good answer. It might be Acrobat, but it might also be MS that is the problem. You will likely have to wait for someone a similar configuration to compare. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are setting up the page numbers in Excel, the resulting PDF would display the the page numbers created in Excel. On Excel 2010 support page, (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/insert-and-remove-page-numbers-on-worksheets-HA01034261...) is stated the following "tip" which indicates by default Excel 2010 starts numbering each tab with 1. Exel's workaround tip is below - 

Set a different number for the starting page

Tip   To number all of the worksheet pages in a workbook sequentially, first add page numbers to all worksheets in a workbook, and then use the following procedure to begin the page number for each worksheet with the appropriate number. For example, if your workbook contains two worksheets that with both be printed as two pages, you would use this procedure to begin the page numbering for the second worksheet with the number 3.

1. On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click the Dialog Box Launcher Button image next to Page Setup.

Excel  Ribbon Image

1. On the Page tab, in the First page number box, type the number that you want to use for the first page.

Tip   To use the default numbering system, type Auto in the First page number box.

Also helpful in the same section is the note on viewing page numbers. To see if the page numbering dilemma originates in Excel make sure you are using the Page Layout View see below:

If you want numbers shown on pages when you print a worksheet  you can insert page numbers in the headers or footers of the worksheet pages. Page numbers that you insert are not displayed on the worksheet in Normal view — they are shown only in Page Layout view and on the printed pages.

Overall it may be easier not to create the page numbers in Excel but instead create then in Acrobat using the Headers and Footers option in Acrobat.  I hope this helps - it sounds like a frustrating issue you are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for responding, I haven't tried this yet but will give it a shot later.

Again, my thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did mean to say that the page numbering is sequential and correct in Excel when viewing "Print, Preview"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My page numbers are correct in print preview in Excel too.

I have submitted my files to the tech support people to see if they can duplicate it.  I also sent them a file that was successfully created with Acrobat 8 so they can see that Acrobat used to be able to do this seamlessly.  If I get a resolution, I will post it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, seems every time a new version comes out it loses some functionality. The page numbering also worked in Acrobat Pro 9 but Acrobat 9 was not compatible with Office Pro 10 so I was advised to purchase Acrobat Pro X to solve any compatibility problems. It sure seems as though the Adobe people could post a patch to fix this problem, I'm getting very tired (and broke) purchasing Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Office Pro 2010 and Acrobat Pro X. I have found a work-around as follows:

1) On the ribbon click "File" and select "Save-As"

2) For "Save as Type" select "PDF"

3) Under "Options" Select "Entire Workbook"

4) Click "Save"

This works for me, hope it is of help to you. It's a shame we can't simply convert as we used to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you, DAE100!  It worked and it's a much cleaner workaround than print to pdf!  Thank you so much!!

Adobe was able to recreate my issue and forwarded to their developers.  They're acknowledging that it's a product design limitation bug.  Your workaround is much better than the one they offered of putting the page numbers in manually through Adobe.  Hopefully they'll fix it with a patch and we can go back to the seamless way of doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you.  It would be nice if someone from Adobe read this and posted a

patch so the "Convert to PDF" Ribbon Add-In worked the way it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same trouble with Office Pro 2010 and Acrobat Pro X.  When converting a multiple worksheet Excel file I get page numbers X of X for each worksheet but not continuous throughout the document.  For example, tab 1 may be page numbered 1 of 4, tab 2 page numbered 1 of 13, etc. instead of continuous numbering.

I purchased Acrobat Pro X after the Adobe help desk told me that Acrobat 9 was not compatible with Office Pro X and that all issues had been repaired in X.  I have had Acrobat 6, 8, 9, and now 10 and all have had issues that I was told were fixed with the latest versions.

After spending +/- $1,000 over the years for the "Latest and greatest" I think it may finally be time to go on the internet and download a free or very modestly priced PDF converter of the dozens that can be found.  I am totally disappointed in Adobe and their "expert" advice to me that basically says buy the latest version, only now there is no later version other than the one I have.

One would think Adobe would write a patch instead of advising loyal customers to buy the latest version only to find that does not work either.  I guess good customer service would be too much to ask for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi dae1000,

I am not sure if you have already found a solution. I was reading this post and I thought it might help you or someone else reading it in future.

So, your goal is: For example, if a Workbook has 2 worksheets and each contains 3 pages (total 6 pages) then the converted PDF should show Page1/6 - Page2/6- Page 3/6 - Page 4/6 - Page 5/6 - Page 6/6. Right?

Try this:

1. Open Excel file
  2. Select Worksheet 1
  3. Click on Insert tab
  4. Click on Hearders & Footers in Text ribbon
  5. Click on Page Number (it will add &[Page] in the Header
  6. Type '/' sign after &[Page] in the header
  7. Click on Number of Pages
  8. Repeat this process for Worksheet 2

Now try to convert using Adobe Acrobat tab in the ribbon.

• Click on Preferences
  • Check 'Prompt for selecting Excel Sheets'
  • Click OK
  • Click on Create PDF in the ribbon
  • Selct 'Entire Workbook'
  • Convert.

I appologies for the trouble you faced in getting support but if you want to report a bug in the version that you are using or want to get a feature added in the upcoming versions of Adobe please submit it using Adobe Wish Form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I would be happy to know the results. I am attaching the Excel and converted PDF for reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines