Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How sort manually?

Apr 22, 2011 11:13 AM

I don't mind starting with a sort by name or time added. But then I'd like to move a few around. I'm going to make a web gallery, and somtimes want to tweak the order of presentation. is this possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2011 11:30 AM   in reply to kevin4545

Kevin,

You can establish a user sort order by dragging and dropping images in the Grid view (or in the filmstrip), but the following is important:

• Drag the images from the middle of the thumbnail, not from the gray border
    • Let them go inbetween two other images (a small black bar will be shown)
    • User Sort Order is only possible in
      • Collections
      • Folders, which don't have any subfolders
      • Folders which have subfolders, but the option "Show Photos in Subfolders" must not be checked

When dragging images to sort, the sort order will change to "User Order" automatically.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2011 12:14 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Kevin,

For a Web Gallery or a Slide Show I would recommend establishing a collection. By doing that, the number of images remains stable and you can always go back to it.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2011 2:01 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Kevin,

Yes, you can establish a user sort order from a folder view (within the restrictions described). But - depending on your folder structure - there is often a need to include images from more than one folder in a Web Gallery or Slide Show. Also, when you base on a folder, the number of images in the folder could increase as you do more imports, whereas the content of a collection remains stable unless you add/delete to/from the collection.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

Manual or "user sort" apparently won't work on Smart Collections either, at least not for me.  I wonder whether any of this will be changed in LR 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to jbrw

jbrw wrote:

Manual or "user sort" apparently won't work on Smart Collections either, at least not for me.  I wonder whether any of this will be changed in LR 4.

True, and this won't change with LR4.

Beat

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points