Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Epub bug

Apr 23, 2011 8:36 PM

I made a whole bunch 'a epubs today and found a pretty painful bug. When you generate a book with a Table of Contents ID screws up "space after" paragraph styles and changes (shortens) them pretty dramatically. Some styles are okay, some arent'. I have no idea why some get screwed up and other don't. (This is in ID / CS4)

Output your book without a TOC and all the spacing looks great. Output with a TOC and you get the munged space-after and the thing looks much worse. Open up the epub and examine the stylesheet and sure enough, it's changed.

This is also true if you use the Kindle output scripts.

I can get into the epub stylesheet and edit it, but I can't see how to get into a mobi file and edit its style sheet.

Anybody have any suggestions? Beyond waiting for (and buying) CS5.5?

Thanks!

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2011 6:14 AM   in reply to SteveC100

Space after in an epub is handled with a margin for the element in question.

And even if it is a bug, you'll never see that kind of thing fixed in an older version.

5.5 should be out very soon and it's definitely worth waiting for. Are you using ID in a suite or stand alone?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to SteveC100

Perhaps one of the upsides to CS5's implementing EPUB export in JavaScript is that theoretically we could fix any bugs that popped up. With CS5.5, I guess that possibility all goes away... hopefully there will be no bugs.

(Though it doesn't look like We as a Community made much use of that possibility).

The obvious answer is "you can try CS5." Of course CS5.5 has better support, but I gather CS5's EPUB support is better than CS4...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2011 9:45 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

The reason I asked about the suite is that if you're going to upgrade now is the time. You'll save money AND have both CS5 and CS5.5.

Here's how:

1. Buy the CS4 to CS5 upgrade: http://amzn.to/gnJOD9

for $579.

2. Check out this page on Adobe's site to get a free CS5.5 upgrade: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15304.html

The CS4 to CS5.5 upgrade is going to be about $100 more if you wait AND you won't have CS5 in case you need to be compatible with someone who does.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2011 12:10 PM   in reply to SteveC100

SteveC100 wrote:

One question I had -- if I get Design Standard (or ID) do I get to keep the other apps from Design Premium (namely Dreamweaver)?

Yes. Student licenses are perfectly valid and can either be upgraded to regular commercial licenses at teh next version, or left alone and used in that version forever. There are no "student upgrades" (education prices for the softeware are already lower than the upgrade prices), and the student packages cannot be transfereed to a new user.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2011 12:14 PM   in reply to SteveC100

Are you still eligible for student pricing? If not, you're way better off doing the upgrade now, but it's your call...and yes, the CS4 apps are untouched when upgrading.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points