Skip navigation
Martin McCoy
Currently Being Moderated

Pesky pixel problem?

Apr 24, 2011 5:25 AM

My camera is a Canon HV30. All my footage will be from that. So I set After Effects composition settings like:composition settings.JPG

That looks to me like it's correct. But then when I hit 'OK', it sets up my workspace like this:

composition panel.JPG

The composition thumbnail in the 'Project Panel' is the right format, but the one in the composition panel is not the right shape.

What am I doing wrong guys?

MM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2011 9:19 AM   in reply to Martin McCoy

> Even if it IS that: why on earth would you ever need to see your comp without the correct PAR applied? I've been scratching my head, but I honestly can't see why that it's even an option to view it uncorrected.

Your computer monitor uses square pixels. Showing a non-square-pixel item on your monitor involves a scaling operation. Scaling diminishes quality. So, you can choose whether to see the perfect pixels unscaled (as square) or you can scale them to see the image at the frame aspect ratio that it will show up as on a TV (or other device that uses non-square pixels). This is all about previews and has nothing to do with final output.

Here's a note from After Effects Help:

Note: To preview non-square pixels on a computer monitor, click the Toggle Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction button at the bottom of the Composition panel. The quality of the pixel aspect ratio correction for previews is affected by the Zoom Quality preference in the Previews category. (See Viewer Quality preferences.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2011 7:22 PM   in reply to Martin McCoy

If it were me I'd just change the comp settings to the HDTV 1080 25 preset. Now you're working with square pixels, your footage will fit the composition perfectly because AE is designed to do that automatically, and your rendered output will be compatible with all standard formats. That's the easiest, cleanest, and safest way to work with any of the non square pixel formats.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points