• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac ppc is now incompatible with most websites needing Flash Player?

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Flash Player to  trouble shoot a different problem I was having last week. It wasn't the  cause but, when I tried to re-install, Adobe would only allow my system  to download and install Flash Player 9. I'm pretty sure I had some  version of 10 before but I can't say for sure. In any case that's when most every website requiring Flash Player (including Adobe's site stopped working for  me on this system saying I need to install Flash Player 10.2.

As is clear on the Adobe download page a ppc running osx 10.4.11 can only use Flash Player 9!  Does that mean this computer has just become obsolete for use on the web?!!

There does seem to be some thread of discussion on  the web but nothing concrete and I can find no download anywhere for  Flash Player 10 below 10.2! Even Version Tracker as far as I can find  has nothing.

Can you confirm that Flash Player 9 will not work with the Adobe site? Has it been changed or upgraded in the past  week or so?

And...Do you have any ideas where I might be able t find a version of Flash Player 10 below 10.2?

All of these sites were working on this computer until last week so I know it's possible (unless all these sites have  changed in the past week).

Is there something else I can try?

Thanks for any help!

I've attached some screen shots.AdobeFail.jpg

RootPlayerProblem.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi, That version of Flash Player is Archived: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html 

You will need to download the Flash Player 10.1 (81.7 MB) and SAVE it to your Desktop. Then you will find the 10.1.102.64 version for the Mac Platform. There is a readme file also.

Here are instructions from Apple Discussions:

*Flash Player for PPC Macs*
Adobe's last release of Flash Player for PPC Macs was in November, 2010 with release 10.1.102.64 Subsequent releases are for Intel based Macs only. To update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, You should be able to use Flash Player vs 10.1.102.64 for your PPC. I have some info on that and will post it back.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, That version of Flash Player is Archived: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html 

You will need to download the Flash Player 10.1 (81.7 MB) and SAVE it to your Desktop. Then you will find the 10.1.102.64 version for the Mac Platform. There is a readme file also.

Here are instructions from Apple Discussions:

*Flash Player for PPC Macs*
Adobe's last release of Flash Player for PPC Macs was in November, 2010 with release 10.1.102.64 Subsequent releases are for Intel based Macs only. To update you should download:

Flash uninstaller: [http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#prob1=uninst,os=m10.6,] Make sure you get the right one.

Flash installer 10.1.102.64 [http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp10.1.102.64_and_9.0.289.0archive.zip] Open the archive to reveal yet more archives and multiple files. Select: flashplayer101r102_64_ubmac.dmg

To install:

1) Run Disk Utility and verify your hard drive. If the hard drive reports errors then it will need repairing first (another topic). If it verifies, run Disk Utility's repair permissions.

Quit all applications to ensure nothing is actively using Flash.

Run the uninstaller application. Adobe says, "Adobe recommends that you restart your computer before you install a different version of the player."

Run the Installer
Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your computer. this is important when installing anything from Adobe.

7) Restart your computer.

You may not need these instructions, but I posted them if you do.

Hope that helps.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much that worked perfectly and was exactly what I had thought would be the fix but without any way to find the links without this forum post and answer. I have spent three days trying to track down this answer. It would be much easier to solve if the download page did not have incorrect and missing information. The third link to the installer in the solution reply does not work but it is easy to find using the first link when following the information in the message. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm glad that worked for you. I try to search from the threads of the Mac Users from the Flash Player Forum and also from the Apple discussions that are helpful. It would be a lot easier for Mac Users if I used a Mac, but I depend on Users as yourself and others for information:-)

I would be very interested in knowing the site that has incorrect or missing information as you've said. If you would post back a link, I would be happy to follow up on that. Also the third link you mentioned. It's important that I understand what you are saying so I can pass it on. If you have time to do that, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for marking your thread as answered also. I know other Users have the Mac PPC and this info in your thread will help them also.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link in the email (the 3rd link to the installer zip) sent me to a 404

page not found. I did find all the zips using the first archive link though.

The information that is incorrect and missing I will try to surmise:

This link (the download Flash Player link)

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

"step 1" I can only select one option for mac osx 10.4 -10.6

"step 2" I only get one option "Flash Player 10.2 osx 10.4-10.6 (intel)

Intel is only after the 10.6 so there is some ambiguity which is compounded

by the fact that Step 1 makes no mention of Intel. So after trying it and

getting a message that I can't use 10.2 on my system. I need to try again.

This confusion is also made worse because as you could see in the screen

shots of sites not working they specify that I need 10.2 to see the content!

I'm not sure where that message is generated from but it is clearly wrong as

I do not now nor have I ever had 10.2 running on this system yet I can see

the content now. (and as I discovered I needed 10.1.102.64)

After digging some more I found in the Adobe Flash Player Mac OS support an

option:

"I'm having problems using Flash Player on my older Macintosh computer"

which eventually brings me here:

"Mac OS X (PowerPC):

Download<http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/current/9/install_flash_player_9.dmg>(2.99

MB)

The PowerPC download contains two files. Follow these steps to install them:

1. Download the Mac OS X (PowerPC) files."

The problem is that this is a link to Flash Player 9 which does not work for

most sites anymore!!!

Some screen shots:

[image: FPdownload2.jpg]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you for this info. I haven't had time yet to review all that you have provided, but will. The first thing I see is this:

The link in the email (the 3rd link to the installer zip) sent me to a 404 page not found.

This occurs for all users when they use any links directly from their email notifications. There is a format/script issue when doing this. It's always better to page down in the email and click on "visit the message page". This takes you directly to your thread and any links embedded in your thread will work without that 404 error. I think maybe this is what happened there.

The other info I will review and follow up on. Perhaps a clarification can be made, but I'll leave that to those that will be able to assess this.

I do appreciate your information and explanation, as feedback is very helpful.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it is helpful for someone else who may come across the same issue.

I don't usually have any problems using direct links within emails. In fact

the other two links in that email worked fine. Also, I don't get any "visit

the message page" at the bottom of my emails?

Thanks again for the help,

-Genji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The issue with the email notifications is usually with "active" links that sometimes have a * before and after the link. At least that what many do experience. Perhaps it depends on the email that is used; didn't think of that.

I have this included in all of my email notifications:

This message was sent to: eidnolb

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3640886#3640886

This is the latest one of yours.  Also when using the email to reply, your personal email address will appear in the message page of the Forum!!

I'll check that link out and the other info.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have exactly the same problem … with an additional detail : I am using a 1.8 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) that does not yet have an Intel chip (and can therefore not work on OS 10.6). I use two harddisks with two systems (10.4.11 and 10.5.8), and I encounter the corresponding limits when wanting to upgrade. I am using Adobe Flash Player 10.1.102.64 and should upgrade because some websites prompt me to do that. When doing so on the Adobe website I am asked to download 10.3.181.34 - which does not work on non-Intel PPCs. Yet there is no information on anything between 10.1.102.64 and 10.3.181.34, which seems a bit bizarre when lookig at those version numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello sascha42, The latest Flash Player version for the PPC 10.4.11 is 10.1.102.64. There is no Flash Player version after that for the PPC's with the non-Intel chip.

Apple does not support the PPC. You can read this article about that here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10260972-37.html

The Technology needed in the PPC for Flash Player versions after 10.1.102.64 is not there, since Apple does not support the PPC with updates. Same thing with Windows, Microsoft doesn't support any OS earlier than XP. All XP users will face the same thing the PPC users are. Technology moves >>>>> 🙂

Hope that helps explain it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, what a drag!!! 10.1.102.64 is of autumn 2010 - and the further

pursuit has already been abandoned - this is ridiculous

Am 30.06.2011 um 17:04 schrieb eidnolb:

*Hello sascha42, The latest Flash Player version for the PPC

10.4.11 is 10.1.102.64. There is no Flash Player version after that

for the PPC's with the non-Intel chip.*

>

*Apple does not support the PPC. You can read this article about

that here:*

>

*http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10260972-37.html

>

*The Technology needed in the PPC for Flash Player versions after

10.1.102.64 is not there, since Apple does not support the PPC with

updates. Same thing with Windows, Microsoft doesn't support any OS

earlier than XP. All XP users will face the same thing the PPC

users are. Technology moves >>>>> *

>

>

Hope that helps explain it.

>

>

Thanks,

>

>

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sascha42, It may be a drag, but keep in mind this was Apple's decision, not Adobe's:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure dear eidnolb !!! and thanks for your kind assistance!!!

Am 01.07.2011 um 07:01 schrieb eidnolb:

*Hi sascha42, It may be a drag, but keep in mind this was Apple's

decision, not Adobe's:-)*

>

>

>

Thanks,

>

>

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi sascha42, You are welcome. I hope it helps so at least you have Flash Player on your PPC. I realize many websites may not work with that FP version, but maybe you'll find a way to work around them:-)

I hate to think when I'll be in the same boat as you with my XP, LOL But I know it's coming:-)

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines