Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Possible to Make CS4 not go full screen OSX?

Apr 27, 2011 12:44 PM

I'm on Mac 10.6.7, CS4 InDesign 6.0.6.

Is there an InDesign preference I can set so when I open an existing document, it doesn't take over my entire 30" monitor every time (this is very annoying)?

+++++++

Also, a long time ago (maybe even CS3) I asked WHY when I open/edit an existing document, then Save As — the destination is not the folder containing the opened file.

I was told at the time InDesign should be automatically saving in the same folder, that I must have a problem on my system, but I am still not seeing that behavior.

Every other application on the OSX platform Save As to the same folder as the opened document, but not InDesign (this is even more annoying than the other)...

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2011 1:04 PM   in reply to gator soup

Turn off the Application Frame in the Window menu.

Whenever I Save As the program defaults to the folder containing the active file. This only works if the file has already been saved in that version of InDesign. If you open an InDesign file from an earlier version of InDesign it is converted to the current version and the original file is unaffected. The original file is not considered to be the open file, so until you save there is no folder for the current file. This also affects files converted from .idml or .inx.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 1:59 PM   in reply to gator soup

As I said, this is what happens when you open, for example, an InDesign CS3 file using InDesign CS5. Saving over the original file can be a bad thing, so it is a potentially good thing that InDesign does not. You should, if it is viable, open and save files using the version that was last used for that file. So if you have InDesign CS3 and InDesign CS5, use InDesign CS3 to open, edit, and save InDesign CS3 files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 2:17 PM   in reply to gator soup

There is a discussion InDesign CS4 window fills screen at open that you might find useful.  I use Dave Saunder's Windowsize.jsx daily, but note -mt's comment that it may not work reliably for IDCS5 in Snow Leopard.  However, he posts an applescript from Rob Day that works for him.

David

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 27, 2011 5:00 PM   in reply to gator soup

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 5:16 PM   in reply to gator soup

Photoshop and Illustrator don’t work like InDesign. InDesign can only save InDesign files in that version’s unique format. Illustrator and Photoshop can save .ai and .psd files readable by earlier versions. If you open an Illustrator CS3 file in Illustrator CS5 and save you will save the file without a dialogue and in CS3 format. This, too can be bad becasue you get no warning that CS3 or CS5 only features will be dumbed down and uneditable.

InDesign’s file handling is, in almost all ways, superior to other programs. It might be nice for InDesign to remember the source folder for converted files and default to it, although that makes overwriting those files much easier and destroying the file’s compatibility with older versions.

The proper philosophy for saving files is to make it hard to damage data or destroy files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 28, 2011 4:43 AM   in reply to gator soup
    I avoid all types of system haxies, tho...

DF works as a preference pane, it doesn't hack the save dialog but floats along side. Couldn't live without it besides setting the default folder, let's you save favorites, list last visited, move files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to Rob Day

I totally agree with Rob about Default Folder. It's invaluable, is not a hack, is constantly kept up-to-date by the author. It saves me immense amounts of time, and is the most valuable utility I own.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points