Skip navigation
ronchast
Currently Being Moderated

Is there any way to make copies of the maser image in LR3?

Apr 28, 2011 9:40 PM

Is there any way to make copies of the maser image in LR3?

I do a lot of sports and dance photography and I need a way to make multiple copies of an image to drag into different folders in LR3.

Example:  One dancer may be on several teams and I need to make copies of the team photos to put in each dancers folder before I upload them to my E Commerce site so each dancer see's their team photo with their individual photos in the same folder online.

I know I can make virtual copies, but you cannot drag them to different folders as copies, it will move the virtual with the master.

If they would just let us hold ALT or any key while dragging to "copy" instead of  "move", my problem would be solved.

For now I have to go into Windows, make copies ,then synch the folders again. Pain in the rear to do that.

Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks

ronchast

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2011 10:48 PM   in reply to ronchast

If I were you, I'd use collections instead of folders and put different virtual copies into different collections, instead of different real copies in different folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to ronchast

You're welcome - I think it'll be "going more with the grain", so to speak - and that way you won't have duplicates in your catalog either, which is generally preferrable, me-thinks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2011 5:47 PM   in reply to ronchast

I apologize for not reading super-thoroughly.

But from what I gleaned, One possibility may be:

If you can figure out how to arrange a hierarchy of collections (smart or regular) then tree-publisher can mirror the collections as folders when exporting.

There are some other possibilities too, but one step at a time...

PS - You are right about Lightroom: exports all go to the same folder/end-point unless using a special export plugin that's been programmed to do what you want.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2011 5:52 PM   in reply to ronchast

Another option, if you can figure out how to arrange a sequence of exports that combined will do the job, then they can all be invoked with a single click by using ExportManager.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2011 8:54 PM   in reply to ronchast

Ron,

I too need to make "Real Copies" of images and hate doing anything directly from the OS because of the chance that my LR catalog gets out of Sync with the actual images on the computer.  So I make the copies inside LR with an export routine and then move the copies inside of LR with the normal drag and drop.  Once the export preset is created it can be executed from the Library Grid by right-clicking on the image (or selected images) to make the copies.  My settings are as follows in case you are interested:

RealFileCopyExport.jpg

This is the first time I have posted an image before and I am not sure if you will be able to read it or not.  The contents from the export preset in the image above are as follows if that helps:

s = {

id = "3AF0E3D2-BC6A-4D53-A7BE-B7A6C4D673AC",

internalName = "Make Real File Copy",

title = "Real File Copy",

type = "Export",

value = {

collisionHandling = "overwrite",

exportFilters = {

},

exportServiceProvider = "com.adobe.ag.export.file",

exportServiceProviderTitle = "Hard Drive",

export_colorSpace = "sRGB",

export_destinationPathSuffix = "",

export_destinationType = "sourceFolder",

export_useSubfolder = false,

extensionCase = "lowercase",

format = "ORIGINAL",

includeVideoFiles = false,

initialSequenceNumber = 1,

jpeg_limitSize = 100,

jpeg_useLimitSize = false,

metadata_keywordOptions = "lightroomHierarchical",

minimizeEmbeddedMetadata = false,

outputSharpeningLevel = 2,

outputSharpeningMedia = "matte",

outputSharpeningOn = false,

reimportExportedPhoto = true,

reimport_stackWithOriginal = true,

reimport_stackWithOriginal_position = "below",

renamingTokensOn = true,

size_doConstrain = false,

size_resolution = 300,

size_resolutionUnits = "inch",

tokenCustomString = "RC",

tokens = "{{image_name}}_{{custom_token}}",

tokensArchivedToString2 = "{{image_name}}_{{custom_token}}",

useWatermark = false,

watermarking_id = "<simpleCopyrightWatermark>",

},

version = 0,

}

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to JW Stephenson

Thanks for the export preset. That is helpful. But is a long way round to Joneses!

Adobe,

there seems to be a real need for a copy/paste capability within LR that makes real copies. In my case it is intending to use the image with InDesign where I want to Edit Original without changing the master file, which may be a TIFF file that I also  use for print, so I need a copy of it.

And have I said before that for me Round Trip Editing is a real nuisance? I want to go to Photoshop one-way - edit the image there and save it in a different folder and NOT have the TIFF file show up in LR in the view of the folder that holds RAW files OR the collection on which I am working. I'm an old dog and I keep track of things by folder. When I need cross-folder collections I use...collections! I work in LR, then go to Photoshop, and save into a new folder. If I want to see the edited images in LR I want to see them in the view of the new folder, not in the view of the source folder.

In LR as it is today I have to delete the TIFF from the collection or folder in which it shows up, or close LR before saving the TIFF from Photoshop. Not a disaster but definitely a nuisance.

- susan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points