Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What happened to scrubby sliders in v3.4?

Apr 28, 2011 7:47 AM

Since I updated to LR v3.4 I have noticed the scrubby sliders are not working or barely working with the brush.  My preferred way of working is to click on the parameter number and slide back and forth (rather than the needle).  Used to work fine, now either not at all or moving my mouse well across my desk has minimal impact.  This is on both Mac and Windows installs.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2011 11:11 AM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky

Yes, this is a very annoying bug.  Driving me crazy and wasting my time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 8:00 PM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky

Until this is fixed, try holding the Shift key while using the scrubby sliders.  Unfortunately, this is almost as oversensitve as the non-shift method is under sensitive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 9:49 PM   in reply to Matt Fitt

sigh, we have to wait another 6 months or so for next update. Patch = kill

old bug, and introduce new bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2011 7:41 AM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky

Yes, I have been experiencing all kind of buggy operations with the scrubby sliders too.  I found the problem most apparent when adjusting brush or gradient properties but have experienced it in almost every panel in the develop module.  Please release a 3.4.1 version with this problem addressed.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2011 2:58 PM   in reply to adventure_photo

If I decide to go back to Lightroom 3.3, will the installer automatically remove 3.4?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to JimHess-ra2Osl

JimHess wrote:

If I decide to go back to Lightroom 3.3, will the installer automatically remove 3.4?

Based upon my experience: Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 11:12 AM   in reply to Matt Fitt

Matt,

I have just downloaded 3.3 and reverted.  All is working as it should.  I had no issues in 3.4rc but 3.4 is totally unusable.  Adjustment brushes

are basically almost frozen with the first application, unadjustable and at a visual value that does not match my chosen amount based on normal

usage. I have to delete the adjustment totally, I cannot right click on the adjustment to even delete it.  Crop will allow me to choose a ratio but then

once selected jumps, retains the ratio but reverts to custom.  One photo just opened appeared to be totally out of focus yet when exported to

CS5 obviously is not.  I do not know what is going on with the bugs but as previously stated, this is totally unusable unlike the rc and I am in the

middle of wedding shots and do not have time to mess with this.  The reversion to  3.3 retained all my edits under 3.4rc with no hitches I am aware

of.

Regards,

asu_chic

intel mac core 2 duo 2.26GHz 4gig 10.5.8

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 8:15 AM   in reply to asu_chic

Just an update for anyone interested. As per my previous I reverted to version 3.3.  As of 30 min. ago, I have upgraded 3.3 to 3.4 via LR update.

All now appears to be working as it should including scrubbies.  My prior upgrade was from 3.4RC via LR update. When I upgraded from

3.4RC the upgrade required me to shut down LR partway through the upgrade. When I upgraded via 3.3 I did NOT get this message and

LR remained open and functioning and showing version 3.3. Upon closing LR and reopening, version 3.4 seems alive and well. I do not know if

there is any significance to the upgrade path causing issues from 3.4RC or not.  I can only tell you what has happened on my machine and Scrubbies

now only require a quarter of a desk!!!!

Regards,

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 8:24 AM   in reply to asu_chic

asu_chic wrote:

Just an update for anyone interested. As per my previous I reverted to version 3.3.  As of 30 min. ago, I have upgraded 3.3 to 3.4 via LR update.

All now appears to be working as it should including scrubbies.  My prior upgrade was from 3.4RC via LR update. When I upgraded from

3.4RC the upgrade required me to shut down LR partway through the upgrade. When I upgraded via 3.3 I did NOT get this message and

LR remained open and functioning and showing version 3.3. Upon closing LR and reopening, version 3.4 seems alive and well. I do not know if

there is any significance to the upgrade path causing issues from 3.4RC or not.  I can only tell you what has happened on my machine and Scrubbies

now only require a quarter of a desk!!!!

Regards,

asu_chic

I installed 3.4 (on Mac Pro) the same way, and scubbies are fine here as well.  Weird..

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to JayS In CT

I'm completely stymied by these last two posts.  I never installed the Release Candidate - went straight from v3.3 to v3.4 official release and have the stuck scrubbies.  Also on a MacPro, running OS-X Snow Leopard.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky-NoB1xM

Jay, I am still on Leopard due to my various printers and as of yesterday I could Not use 3.4 in Develope Module at all. I have no idea at all as to why because the 3.4rc was working for me.  My first thought was that something was "broken" between the release of the RC and the final product as in previous cases, but now, I just don't know.  I tried updating again on a whim as I had finished the project I was doing and had a moment to revert if need be. Now as you state you had never used the RC I do not know what to think.  A download issue? Weird...

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky-NoB1xM

Jay Mitchosky wrote:

I'm completely stymied by these last two posts.  I never installed the Release Candidate - went straight from v3.3 to v3.4 official release and have the stuck scrubbies.  Also on a MacPro, running OS-X Snow Leopard.

Jay...

I can't imagine it makes a difference, but I have MagicPrefs installed for my Apple Magic Trackpad and mouse..  Scrubbies are working fine... small small increments and all..

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 8:50 AM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky-NoB1xM

Jay Mitchosky wrote:

Same here... never had 3.4RC.  Went from 3.3 (which was working flawlessly, for me) to 3.4 (which I uninstalled < 1 hour later).

And I'm running WinVista, so it doesn't appear to be OS-related.

But I am excited to hear that a re-install seemed to make a difference.  Maybe I'll give it another try. 8~/

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 9:19 AM   in reply to JayS In CT

JayS In CT wrote:

Jay Mitchosky wrote:

Jay...

I can't imagine it makes a difference, but I have MagicPrefs installed for my Apple Magic Trackpad and mouse..  Scrubbies are working fine... small small increments and all..

Jay S.

I just installed 3.4 over my 3.3 installation on Macbook Pro.  I left 3.3 open, did the "Check for update" on the help panel.. Downloaded 3.4 to the desktop and ran the install.  I had renamed the 3.4RC (maybe it makes a difference??) before starting the process.  The 3.4 install went clean, replacing 3.3 in my Application folder and Dock.  Scrubbies work fine.. both with pad on Macbook Pro and external mouse..

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 10:15 AM   in reply to JayS In CT

This is interesting because I did the same, but as stated previously, I upgraded from 3.4RC and got the non functioning 3.4. I then installed a fresh 3.3

to get rid of 3.4 and then threw the 3.4RC in the trash and deleted. All of this was yesterday. It would almost seem there may be a problem with updating over an RC version.  I wonder if this may explain some of the irratic issues with previous versions having RC's. Unfortunately this does not explain why Jay Mitchosky is having the same issues.  I do use a Logitec M505 which is a nice moving mouse but don't use MagicPerfs. It sure would be nice to know WTH this is happening, she says as she SWEARS that she will never, never, never, ever, download upgraded software again until at lease a WEEK has passed.  You DO believe me don't you?  Yeah, I know.......

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 10:46 AM   in reply to JayS In CT

OK, so I reinstalled 3.4...

Scrubby sliders are a little better?  Maybe?  Far from perfect, but usable, I guess.

Hovering over slider

• the name and value are correctly highlighted on hover
    • tapping arrow key does not change value, but does appear in history as an adjustment
    • holding arrow key for extended time will finally adjust value by 1.... 2.... 3....
    • Shift-arrow correctly adjusts in values of 10

Hovering over numeric value

• pointer correctly shifts to finger/adjust icon
    • but click-drag requires greatly exaggerated motions
    • (Fortunately for me, I use a track ball, so I never run out of desktop as others have complained of!)

Clicking onto numerical value

• causes the value to highlight
    • but arrow keys behave same as with hovering over slider -- extreme delay, effectively useless.

Clicking onto slider

• now works precisely as if you'd clicked onto numeric value (and it functioned correctly)
    • arrow key promptly causes value to adjust by single digit
    • holding arrow key causes value to continue to change
    • This adjustment is not reflected in history until you once again click the slider.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 11:30 AM   in reply to JayS In CT

Don't have an Apple Trackpad.  Although your mentioning that is odd.  I recently added a Logitech Performance Mouse MX and ditched the Apple mouse (prior gen with the little ball at the top).  Shortly after that I realized the Lightroom and Photoshop were running faster than ever before.  For example, in Lightroom the spot removal tool, which was always frustratingly sluggish, is now instantaneous.  The only other recent change was to delete the LR preference file (I've read it can become corrupted over time and negatively impact performance), and while LR did seem a bit snappier afterwards it wasn't as fast as it seems to be now.

In short - I don't know what the hell's going on!   Definitely not complaining about that speed boost.  But the scrubbs are still annoying me (I just find it easier to use then pinpointing on the needle).

JayS In CT wrote:

Jay Mitchosky wrote:

Jay...

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 2:18 PM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky-NoB1xM

Jay Mitchosky wrote:

Don't have an Apple Trackpad.  Although your mentioning that is odd.  I recently added a Logitech Performance Mouse MX and ditched the Apple mouse (prior gen with the little ball at the top).  Shortly after that I realized the Lightroom and Photoshop were running faster than ever before.  For example, in Lightroom the spot removal tool, which was always frustratingly sluggish, is now instantaneous.  The only other recent change was to delete the LR preference file (I've read it can become corrupted over time and negatively impact performance), and while LR did seem a bit snappier afterwards it wasn't as fast as it seems to be now.

In short - I don't know what the hell's going on!   Definitely not complaining about that speed boost.  But the scrubbs are still annoying me (I just find it easier to use then pinpointing on the needle).

JayS In CT wrote:

Jay Mitchosky wrote:

Jay...

Jay S.

What's that sound...  I think it is the sound of credit cards coming out as Lightroom users start purchasing a Logitech Mouse in search of the ever elusive perfomance gain.   :-)    I can't possibly imagine a mouse impacting LR performance, but who knows!!  I'm thinking recreating the prefs file may have had something to do with it as well.

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 5:00 PM   in reply to JayS In CT

Re "mouse" -- maybe it was the mouse.  I had a Microsoft mouse on my PC for the last year.  For months now I have thought my apps were sluggish -- the mouse would hesitate then "catch up" to where I had moved to -- as if the app were having trouble following it.  I finally got fed up and got a top-of-the-line logitech mouse, and no more sluggishness -- which in fact turned out to be the mouse hesitating.  Everything seems "cleaner" if not "faster".

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 6:03 PM   in reply to Dennis Smith

quenton8 wrote:

Re "mouse" -- maybe it was the mouse.  I had a Microsoft mouse on my PC for the last year.  For months now I have thought my apps were sluggish -- the mouse would hesitate then "catch up" to where I had moved to -- as if the app were having trouble following it.  I finally got fed up and got a top-of-the-line logitech mouse, and no more sluggishness -- which in fact turned out to be the mouse hesitating.  Everything seems "cleaner" if not "faster".

What you're describing though just sounds like a mouse issue in general, not one specific to making LR run faster.  There are a lot of things that can affect a mouse perforamance including tracking sensitivity, etc.

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 12:34 PM   in reply to Matt Fitt

Matt Fitt wrote:

Clicking onto slider

• now works precisely as if you'd clicked onto numeric value (and it functioned correctly)
    • arrow key promptly causes value to adjust by single digit
    • holding arrow key causes value to continue to change
    • This adjustment is not reflected in history until you once again click the slider.

Thanks for the analysis, I have one addition for "clicking onto slider": Normally after clicking the mouse wheel can be used to change the value. This still works, however with the same extreme "gear ratio" that makes scrubbing unusable (contrary to scrubbing, holding down shift doesn't help with the mouse wheel).

It seems that the "gear ratio" from up/down keys, scrubbing distance and mouse wheel stops to the actual increment of the value is generally extremely off, except for the exposure slider and some other exceptions (e.g. clicking on slider and up/down arrow keys work).

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 1:57 PM   in reply to Jay Mitchosky

I use mac os 10.6.7;  both wired and bluetooth mice.

I installed 3.4 without having gone first to 3.4RC.

Scrubby sliders did not work on 3.4.

downloaded and installed 3.3 over 3.4. Scrubby sliders now do not work with 3.3. Did all the usual trashing prefs, etc., to no avail.

vince

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points