• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internet Explorer has stopped working (2nd attempt to fix this)

May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Ever since I upgraded to Adobe Flash Player v-10.2.159, I get the error "Internet Explorer has stopped working" when I close a tab.  It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes when I have multiple tabs open.  And it only happens when I have Adobe Flash Player add-on enabled.  I am using Windows Vista Home Premium and IE8.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Is it any particular website you happen to be on when this happens? The Adobe Flash Player addon that you refer to, is this the Shockwave Flash Object? This is the ActiveX Control for Flash Player and must be Enabled if you wish to view Flash content.

I would try having fewer windows open and see it that continues. If that doesn't help, then there may be some other addon in the browser that is conflicting either with the SFO or another addon.

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb  sp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your response.

It is the Shockwave Flash Object that is causing the problem, since the problem never occurs when I disable it.  And it doesn't matter how many tabs I have open (2 or 10), it happens, but not always.  And that is the frustrating thing.

Whether it is conflicting with something else, I don't know.  I only know that the problem started when I upgraded to Adobe Flash 10.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. I don't know if you have a 32bit or 64bit system, so check in the location that is appropriate.

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back the files listed OR

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash 

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running 32-bit Vista

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash contains a folder called FlashPlayerTrust and files Flash10p.ocx, FlashInstall, FlashUtil10p_ActiveX.dll, FlashUtil10p_ActiveX and install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Your Flash files are all correctly Installed. Make sure the Shockwave Flash Object is version 10.2.159.1 also.

If it is, then something else is going on. First I would like you to test at this site and let me know if you can see the Flash Player logo (Red F) animation(spinning) and just make sure the Version of Flash Player Installed says 10.2.159.1.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Then using IE, go to Tools, Internet Options and make sure under the Security Tab it is set to Medium for the Internet Zone.

Then when you reply back, list any Anti-Virus/Spyware programs that are Installed.

Have you had any Malware Issues? If so please explain.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK:

I do have 10.2.159.1

I do see the red f animation.

My security tab is set for Medium for Internet Zone

And I did recently have an issue with my antivirus program (BitDefender), possibly due to a virus.  I lost several Windows files (games history, calendar settings) and a file that BitDefender needed to do it's scans.  I uninstalled and reinstalled that program.

I thank you for your ongoing help and hope that, since you anticipated the antivirus problem, we are getting close to a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The fact that you can see the Flash Player logo animation and your Security is set for Medium for the Internet Zone, should have Flash Player working properly.

I'm not sure if the Virus would have an effect now due to the above. That would normally prevent you from Installing that Shockwave Flash Object.

What it could be is that some component of BitDefender is conflicting. Some of BitDefender has been or is known to conflict with Firefox. Not sure about IE.

This is a thread on issues with FF  and BitDefender: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/601019?tstart=0

What version of BitDefender do you have Installed?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Sorry for the extended absence.  I drive a truck all week and my 12V laptop charger went kaput.

I read the link and tried to disable BitDefender before installing Flash.  But every time I uncheck it in System Configuration under System or Startup, it just rechecks itself and ignores my command!  It must be a very stubborn safeguard.

I wanted to start Windows in safe mode, but then I can't get onto the internet.  Is there a way to download a Flash installer, then run it in safe mode?

PS - What did you mean by "Don't click on the link in post #11"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, You can disregard Post#11, it was a spam post and I was just warning you or anyone else. It has been removed now.

BitDefender is causing you a problem. Either that or you still have Malware on your system. That's want it sounds like to me.

But to run any other Anti-Virus program, that BitDefender needs Disabled. Otherwise it will prevent any other Scanners to do what's needed.

You don't want to Disable it until you have another Anti-Virus Scanner on your Desktop.

I'll see what I have on that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2011 May 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went into BitDefender and disabled RealTime Protection, then installed Flash.

Not only did I get the "Internet has stopped working" error upon leaving the Adobe site, but now I am getting error messages from BitDefender!

I have to believe this is a problem with Adobe Flash, since I never had the problem with BitDefender and older versions of Flash.  Makes sense, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2011 May 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, After you Disabled the Realtime Protection in BitDefender, did you Uninstall Flash Player first before Installing? If so, check your Flash folder to make sure you have the correct Flash Files that you posted earlier. Also the Shockwave Flash Object is still Installed and Enabled. If all of those are the same and you can still see the Flash Player logo, then check this:

The UAC in Vista can be turned off or on. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

See if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then go to www.malwarebytes.org and download and SAVE to your Desktop the Free version. Use the Update feature and allow it to update. Then close it.

Now close all browser windows and:

Disable BitDefender:

Double click on the system icon for Bit Defender.

When the Bit Defender window appears, move mouse arrow to the left side and click >> Virus Shield.

Move mouse arrow to the black check by Virus Shield is enabled and click.

The black works will change to red, >> Virus Shield is disabled.

Move mouse arrow to the top right corner and click the down arrows.

Bit Defender is now inactive.

To enable Bit Defender, do the same steps except click to enable.

Now Open malwarebytes and click on Scanner and run a full scan. If any malware is found, follow their instructions for removing it.

Then re-enable BitDefender.

Let me know the results of the UAC and the Scan.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you want me to do these things to? I didn't since subject line is different than my original question.

Sorry, but it has become so confusing since I started receiving about 65 emails a day from many different Forum Support workers.

Sorry also, but I haven't uninstalled Flash Player either and am not sure how to do this. Last thing you asked for System information and how to find bytes #.

Sorry again,

tcenters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I uninstalled Flash, then disabled BitDefender RealTime protection, then installed Flash again.  All the same files are there and the animation works as well.

As for these other steps, I will have to find the time to get them done, since I am back on the road again.  I will let you know the results in a couple of days.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this.  I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I finally found time to try your suggestions and here are the results.

I went right to the MalwareBytes suggestion, because I don't want to have to run my computer withour UAC.  It found 4 infected items and removed them.  BitDefender does this every time I do my weekly scan, but it usually finds about 20.  The infected items are cookies (spyware?).

After that, I did some work on the internet and did not get the "stopped working" error.  I thought the problem was solved and was going to let you know.  As I clicked on the "reply" button on this webpage, I got the error again!  It closed the tab, then almost immediately recovered it!

Now I have UAC turned off and have not had the error for a short period of time.  Is UAC interfering with Adobe Flash?

...Just got the error again with UAC turned off!  I think this must be a problem with Flash itself since, the only time I DON'T get the error, is when it is disabled.  Am I the first (or only) one to have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't think there is any conflict with UAC and Flash Player. I think what is happening is Malware related. The UAC when working properly is to warn you with an Internet Security warning before downloading/installing any Software and asks your permission. Since you didn't mention these warnings, it makes me think perhaps the UAC is not working properly.

Some malware will re-appear. So update MBAM, disable BitDefender, close all browser windows and run another Quick Scan with MBAM.

After that, click on the Logs at MBAM and let me know what kind of malware was found and where.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UAC always asks me to confirm any downloads and program runs, when it is active.

I ran the MBAM scan again and it found nothing.  Below are the results of the first scan, when it found several items.

Registry Keys Infected: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2B96D5CC-C5B5-49A5-A69D-CC0A30F9028C} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\{1D4DB7D0-6EC9-47a3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\{3C2D2A1E-031F-4397-9614-87C932A848E0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47a3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: c:\program files\funwebproducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Files Infected: c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin\F3EZSETP.DLL (PUP.FunWebProducts) -> Not selected for removal. c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin\F3PLUGIN.DLL (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin\NPFUNWEB.DLL (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the info and running that again. That WebSearch family is malware for sure, as I've seen it before. I'm surprised that BitDefender didn't find any of what MBAM did. Cookies are one thing, but what MBAM found is something else.

However looking at the logs, this one was not selected for removal. Files Infected: c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin\F3EZSETP.DLL (PUP.FunWebProducts) -> Not selected for removal.

It should be removed. Can you go to the location c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin\F3EZSETP.DLL

and find that, right click on it and delete/remove it?

So UAC is working then, ok.

While you are doing that, I want to check if I have anything else on WebSearch related.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't find 'funwebproducts' folder in 'program files' folder with Windows Explorer, even with "show hidden files" checked!

Tried using Agent Ransack, which always works when Explorer can't find something.  "0 files found"!

Did a FULL MBAM scan.  It couldn't find it either.  It must be gone.  Hopefully, the Internet problem disappeared with it.  I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for doing all of the checking, but since this WebSearch family has many names and can re-appear it was important to make sure. Perhaps that latest scan removed it. Good to know nothing was found.

I hope also that this takes care of the IE issue.

This is just a suggestion, but since BitDefender didn't find this, it may be a good idea to keep MBAM updated and run it once a day with a quick scan. Either at start up or shut down. You'll find the quick scan will get faster after being used a few times. That is what I have found, since I use it also.

Let me know if IE is working as it should.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the error again!  I have attached the error details below.  Fault Module Name is not always the same, but this time it is Flash.  This could be a problem with IE8 or Windows Vista.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:     APPCRASH

Application Name:     iexplore.exe

Application Version:     8.0.6001.19048

Application Timestamp:     4d633f27

Fault Module Name:     Flash10p.ocx

Fault Module Version:     10.2.159.1

Fault Module Timestamp:     4da39a4c

Exception Code:     c0000005

Exception Offset:     00178830

OS Version:     6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID:     1033 

Additional Information 1:     fd00

Additional Information 2:     ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3:     fd00

Additional Information 4:     ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is strange. It's showing the Flash10p.ocx which is the Flash Player ActiveX Control and FP vs 10.2.159.1.

Now FP has updated to version 10.3.181.14 and whether this would solve the issue, I can't say.

Do you recall the site you were on when this happened? I don't need to know other than if it was a video/youtube.

Did you receive an IE Security warning from UAC?

I know that BitDefender has RealProtection. Is that Virus Shield installed into the IE browser or any addons at all in the browser of BitDefender?

I know you didn't have any issues with BD before, but sometimes when FP updates a conflict can occur due to changes in FP.

Something is causing this.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just happened when I was on local.google.com.  The street view feature requires Flash.  When I closed the tab, I got the error.

It is a Microsoft Windows error that I am getting, not a UAC IE Security warning.

I'm not technically savvy enough to know how BD interacts with IE.  I do have Realtime Protection activated, and I have received warnings about dangerous sites which it blocked me from viewing.  The only BD addon is for changing chat encryption preferences, and I have that disabled.

My only hope is to update Flash.  I will disable BD before I do it this time.

...Update complete.  Here is the proof:

Problem signature: 

Problem Event Name:     APPCRASH 

Application Name:     iexplore.exe 

Application Version:     8.0.6001.19048 

Application Timestamp:     4d633f27 

Fault Module Name:     Flash10q.ocx 

Fault Module Version:     10.3.181.14   <---

Fault Module Timestamp:     4dc3253e 

Exception Code:     c0000005 

Exception Offset:     001780f6 

OS Version:     6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3 

Locale ID:     1033 

Additional Information 1:     fd00 

Additional Information 2:     ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160 

Additional Information 3:     fd00 

Additional Information 4:     ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so updating Flash Player to the latest version didn't help, as you are still getting the error. Something is conflicting with Shockwave Flash Object in my opinion since even tho the error is coming from Windows, it involves the Flash10q.ocx. This is the ActiveX Control for Flash Player. The "q" reflects that latest version of Flash Player you just updated to.

BitDefender may warn you about dangerous websites, but it didn't warn you nor prevent the Install of all of the WebSearch malware.

Go to Tools, Manage addons and look in Toolbars & Extensions; go to "Show" and look in all 4 categories also for any BitDefender addons/BHO's/Helpers or anything related to BD.

Do you have any Toolbars Installed?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No BD toolbars other than the one mentioned which is disabled.  It would allow chat sessions to be encrypted if both parties had BD.

Only others are IE Status and Command toolbars.  I don't like alot of clutter on my webpage screens.

PS - I am very sceptical of all anti-virus programs.  How would they know which virus' exist unless they know who wrote them, or even wrote them themselves?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines