Skip navigation
cwilson03
Currently Being Moderated

Possible to continue encoding after reboot?

May 3, 2011 3:18 PM

Hi,

Using Master Collection CS5, is it possible to continue encoding with AME after a reboot (either planned, or in case of a system crash, as just happened to me)?  Seems like a simple pause in AME, followed by a reboot, loses any encoding progress up to that point.

Best,

Chris

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2011 4:32 PM   in reply to cwilson03

Nope. Gotta start over.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2011 6:34 PM   in reply to cwilson03
    Seems like a simple pause/continue across reboots/invocations is a great (and obvious) enhancement idea.

For the majority of deliverable exports--H.264 MP4, MPEG2 DVD, WMV, for example--I don't think it would even be possible. Since these formats aren't encoded with discrete, individual frames, but rather in chunks of frames called Groups of Pictures (or GOPs), those chunks have to be encoded and written to disk in sort of a piecemeal fashion. If you stop encoding somewhere in between--or if you suffer a crash--you'd have a high degree of likelihood of being somewhere in the middle of a GOP when that happened. That GOP would be all messed up, and I don't think any encoder could recover from that. I'm not a software engineer or encoding expert, so...

Is there an official "enhancement" forum where these ideas can be submitted?

In a way: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points