Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I would like the ability to save a thumbnail preview for use by the OS on image export.

May 3, 2011 12:12 PM

Hello,

I have been using Lightroom for about three years and one of the many features I would like to see is the ability to save a thumbnail for the image while exporting an  image.  This is an option available in other leading software, and also happens when you save an image in Photoshop.  It isn't a huge issue when using a Mac because you have the option for the finder to force an image preview.  It is however an issue when your client uses Windows since the OS doesn't allow the user to force a thumbnail preview.

The client is king, especially with the economy and market the way that it is.  If the client wants thumbnails on their images in their OS, the photographer needs to be able to deliver.  I don't expect myself or any other photographer to have to open files in Photoshop and save them to force a thumbnail for the image.

This software is in no way as expensive as Photoshop and it does have amazing features, but it is also not cheap and is intended for working professionals.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2011 12:29 PM   in reply to mongoman1

What type of images are you exporting that don't have thumbnails visible in Windows for you client?  And are you asking for an embedded thumbnail or a separate image thumbnail file with a different name and/or a different folder?

I use Windows every day and I can see thumbnails of my export JPG images if I open up the folder in Windows Explorer and set the View options to Large Icons.  How are you delivering the images to the client and how are they trying to view them in Windows that doesn't have thumbnails available?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to mongoman1

Examining exported TIFs and JPGs from Lightroom 3.4 in ExifTool, both have embedded thumbnails in them.

If your users cannot see thumbnails this is not something LR has anything to do with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 1:57 PM   in reply to mongoman1

Either OS has to be in a view-mode that displays the thumbs, in which case they will (show thumbs), provided its not a corrupt file, whether thumbs are embedded or generated on the fly - the embedded thumb is just for speed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 2:14 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

It is my experience that if Windows sees only images (and other thumbnailable media) in a folder, then it automatically shows thumbnails and creates them as needed.  If it sees a mixture of file types, or perhaps the first few files are not thumbnailable, then it automatically just shows the filenames.  I wonder if this is what is happening for some users.

The bottom line is, though, that LR is embedding thumbnails in the exported images so if Windows is not showing them, it is something out of LR's control, and the LR Feature Request isn't warranted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 2:34 PM   in reply to mongoman1

Oh, I think I see what you are driving at - a file icon for display in the list & detail modes, not a thumbnail proper, right?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 2:45 PM   in reply to mongoman1

From my experience with Windows, an "icon" is a pictoral representation of the program used to open a particular type of file, and a "thumbnail" is a very small version of the image, itself.  Windows can determine the "icon" to show based on the file-extension, and can compute its own thumbnails of thumbnailable images, but perhaps can show embedded thumbnails, initially, before recomputing.

In Windows Photoshop / Preferences / File Handling / File Saving Options there is only Image Previews (Always, Never, Ask), File Extension (Lower Case or Upper Case), and Save As to Original Folder or not.  There is nothing about an icon or windows preview.

Can you upload to the forum an example of a JPG from PS and a JPG from LR where the thumbnail works for the PS one but not the LR one?

I don't have a Mac to experiment on, so I've asked for an upload to see if the LR JPGs from a Mac include a preview like the Windows LR ones do or not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 3:11 PM   in reply to mongoman1

You bet. If you're sure Adobe will know what you are talking about, consider submitting a feature request direct to them as well, if you haven't already. If not, you may want to follow ssprengels suggestions above so that everyone understands exactly what the deal is...

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

The Windows versions of Photoshop and Lightroom don't have the option to embed or not embed a Mac-icon-sized thumbnail so if LR cannot do it on the Mac, perhaps it is for continuity purposes--to make the Windows and Mac versions of LR act the same, rather than the Mac-LR do Mac-specific things.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 4:00 PM   in reply to mongoman1

There are no images on your post.  Attachments are stripped off to keep postings free of viruses.

Use the camera icon to insert images into a web-based forum reply.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 4:38 PM   in reply to mongoman1

All these files as posted are pngs, not jpegs - perhaps re-post without the conversion(?) - or is it just me?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 5:18 PM   in reply to mongoman1

Even the two jpegs still seem like pngs to my system, despite the .jpg extension.

Not sure what's going on: If I save the jpgs as jpg, they won't load into Photoshop (although they display ok in Windows). If I rename them .png, then Photoshop will load them - strange.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 5:15 PM   in reply to mongoman1

Your original links were ok, two JPGs and one PNG.  BTW,the resizing wasn't necessary because the warning about it is only for viewing the photo in the message.  You can always click on the photo and see the full-sized version, as long as it doesn't exceed the filesize limit, of course.

On my Windows 7, both JPGs show a Windows Picture Viewer program icon when set to the default settings, and both JPGs show a thumbnail icon when the icon-size is increased.  This is a function of Windows, not the contents of the files, as far as I can tell.

No thumbnail Icons using the default view:

JpegsNoIcon_2011-05-03_185843.jpg

Thumbnail icons when switching to the next larger sized icons:

JpegsBothIcons_2011-05-03_185957.jpg

On the Mac the two images act differently, but you're asking for Mac-specific things to occur, and Adobe may choose to not do it based on it not being different on Windows.

For what Windows scenario does the PS-saved JPG show a thumbnail-icon instead of a program-icon when the LR-saved one shows only the program icon.  I'm not asking about the Mac where your screenshot shows the difference, I'm asking about Windows.  Is it only when you e-mail pictures or is it on the customer's hard-drive, somehow, and what is the customer using the view the images?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 5:22 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Opening the three images with Notepad, the PNG has "PNG" near the beginning of the file, the other two say "EXIF" near the beginning.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 5:35 PM   in reply to ssprengel

"View Image Info" as reported by Firefox (win7/64):

yellow-1.jpg

Maybe firefox is wonky or something - saved image has "PNG" near the beginning:

png.jpg

But its not just OP's jpgs - the ones I uploaded which were definitely pure jpegs are have the same png thing going on when checked by firefox and/or re-downloaded - its a mystery...

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 6:11 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I used the links in the e-mail, not the images, online.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 9:19 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Email links were to jpgs for me too. Interesting that they would be different - oh well...

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 10:07 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Maybe the preview is a PNG and once you click on that, the full-size overlaid image is the original.  In this case the preview and the original were the same size so maybe you saved the preview instead of the original after clicking on the preview?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 11:37 PM   in reply to ssprengel

The files show as .png when right clicked to save with Safari too but save as jpegs ok if saved from opened image. So the forum must embed previews" in posts as pngs with a link to the jpeg.

Both jpegs show thumbnails on my Mac 10.5.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 12:31 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Yeah, after clicking the "preview" the opened image saves as a proper jpg - thanks all:

this new knowlege may come in handy ;-)

R

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points