Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remote install of Air Runtime and Air APP on Linux without keyboard

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are running Air Runtime 1.5 on a custom Linux OS (based around Debian) which is being used on our Digital Signage computer control boxes. Recently we needed to update the Air App that is being used to display our signage content on a box that was on the other side of the country. The final step of the update required the boxes 'root" password to be entered by someone at the box, not ideal, not practical and not something we want to do with thousands of boxes, but all updated fine.

My question is, how we can do the whole install/unistall/update process of both the Air Runtime (if we so choose) and the Air App on boxes located anyhwhere in the world from our head office in Melbourne without needing someone at the other end with a keyboard entering critical passwords and so forth? I have researched the "Silent Install" but I am stll not sure if that covers both Air Runtime and Air Apps or whether that is in fact the right approach?

I look forward to hearing all your replies, so I can move on confidently with Adobe Air.

Thanks

Tim

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

I think you're on the right track here.  I'd go with a silent install approach (which is available for both the runtime and application install.)  However, you'll first want to complete our redistribution agreement so you can redistribute the runtime and use the runtime to perform a semi silent install.  Once you've done that you'll get a link with detailed command line documentation. 

You'll probably end up doing something like:

sudo "/Adobe AIR Installer" -silent -eulaAccepted "/MyApp.air"

That command will elevate privledges and then install both the runtime files and the .air application in silent mode. It also works if the runtime files are already installed.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Yep signed the agreement back in July, so we'll give the .deb package that is provided under the agreement a go instead.

Thanks for your help with this.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

If you are still there, we've hit a brick wall.

We are trying to install our Air App remotely/headless without GTK or any GUI at all - only via the command line. However when installing in such manner we get the "**GTK Cannot Open Display ***" error, as there is no GUI.

If I open an Xterm window and GUI, and type as root:

/opt/Adobe\ AIR/Versions/1.0/Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer -silent -eulaAccepted /home/screen/main.air

it installs fine. But as we are wanting to update the air app without the physciall Linux box in front of us, just remotely via the command prompt, how we do that?

I note under a Mac someone suggested using the "-location" option, but that appears to have made no difference under Debian Squeeze.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm afraid this is a known issue (internal bug #2832964) in AIR. This workflow is currently not supported in AIR.

Thanks,

Jian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jian,

Wow!! ... Is there an ETA as to when this will be rectified? Are we talking Air 3.0 maybe?

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is an enhancement request to support this workflow, though it is currently unclear which exact release will include this feature.

Thanks,

Jian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines