Skip navigation
Haber1
Currently Being Moderated

Win 7 32bit or 64bit for PRE9 and PSE9

May 4, 2011 1:47 AM

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a new computer.  Would the PE9 and PSE9 run ok on WIN 7 64bit?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2011 2:58 AM   in reply to Haber1

They run trouble free on my W64 system. And although there have been concerns about 64-bit driver compatibility for peripherals I have never had any problems with any of my peripherals (many of which pre-date W7). I also don't think there have been many (if any) truly confirmed PSE/PRE problems with 64-bit driver incompatibility.

64-bit is, in my opinion, the only way to go with a new PC.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 5:33 AM   in reply to nealeh

I would vote for 32-bit myself.

You get no advantage using most consumer program with the 64-bit version of Windows 7. And, as Neale indicated, there are occasional problems with incompatible drivers resulting in things like the program not being able to capture, weird mouse behavior or, most often, problems burning DVDs and BluRay discs.

So, it's up to you. But, if it were my money, I'd go with a 32-bit operating system. The odds are just more in your favor.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 8:54 AM   in reply to Haber1

Neale and Steve both have good points

But... what ELSE are you going to install on that computer, and do any of those other programs "prefer" or "require" a 32bit or 64bit Operating System?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 11:09 AM   in reply to Haber1

I say 32-bit.

In four or five years, I'll likely give a different answer. But, for now, unless you're using professional programs like Adobe's Creative Suite, there are more liabilities to using a 64-bit version of Windows 7 than advantages.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks for your feedback.  I do have the Web version of the adobe suite which I am trying to learn but my computer is 64-bit and I'm not sure how I can change that now.

Morris Jackson

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 7:24 PM   in reply to Haber1

Hard to beilieve a 64 bit processor would run properly on a 32 bit operating system.

I suspect any strange 64b behaviour is due to some other incompatability or a bad video card or not enough RAM as many people have no problems with 64 bit.

I find even my old fairly complex apps written in Visual Basic6 in 1999 run perfectly in 64 bit Win7.Exactly like they did in every previous Windows OS.

Windows 7 won't run very old activeX components written in 16 bit although XP will.

Because a program written in 32 bit doesn't have any 64 bit instructions or use a wider memory range, it wouldnt know the difference but the other way would!

One downside in 64b is you have to have twice the RAM installed with 64bit to have the same effectiveness for a 32 bit prog. (4gb in 64b = 2gb in 32b)

See the recent post  by kjm33 on aparent power supply problems referring to memory & resource "leaks" and settings that could explain a lot of the problems reported in this forum.

I'd go with 64b Win7

For ecomomy in a computer:  4 core Intel i7, Minimum  8gb fast ram. Medium speed CPU. Select a motherboard that fully uses the capability of the CPU. Better to put a bit more money into the motherboard than the CPU. Asus is a good brand. Will run 50 times faster than a 5 year old computer.

There is a 6 core i7 avaolable of $1000 more

I see they are bringing out CPUS with 8 cores now. These are a huge leap forward in speed again

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2011 4:45 PM   in reply to Ted Smith

Ted Smith

Could you please elaborate on when you wrote

"One downside in 64b is you have to have twice the RAM installed with  64bit to have the same effectiveness for a 32 bit prog. (4gb in 64b =  2gb in 32b)".

Are you talking about RAM (physical memory) or virtual address space (virtual memory)?

This is my understanding of the situation. Premiere Elements (any version to date) is a 32 bit application that runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of a 32 bit system, namely max supported installed RAM (physical memory) = 4 GB of which 3 GB or less of that is available. The perk of the 32 bit application in a 64 bit system is that the application gets 4 GB of virtual address space in contrast to the 2 GB it would get with a 32 bit application in a 32 bit system (unless of course you used the 3 GB Switch in XP or Vista where the application could get 3 GB virtual address space and the OS 1 GB virtual address space). In either case, the Premiere Elements header would need to be written appropriately to work (see link information), and I  believe that Adobe has written the header that way..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

In Premiere Pro CS4 which I believe is a 32 bit application, Adobe appears to have optimized the program for 64 bit (with a virtual memory perk of creating multiple exe files so that each would have its own 2 GB virtual address space). So there the advantage is in virtual address space not installed RAM. With Premiere Pro CS5, that appears to be a 64 bit application which when run in a 64 bit system can take full advantage of the 64 bit system resources (RAM and virtual memory).

I have Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit 4 GB RAM and 1 TB Local Hard Drive Space and have Photoshop Elements 9/Premiere Elements 9/Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, and Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7 all installed without problems and are working fine in all aspects...no compatiblity issues...with exports and burn to DVD or Blu-ray. Of the 4 GB installed RAM, 3.8 is usable, and typically 2.7 is available.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2011 4:50 PM   in reply to Haber1

Haber1

One more vote for Windows 7 64 bit. Look at Windows 7 Professional (and I believe Ultimate) which comes with (integrated with) the free download of the Window XP Mode which is a virtual Windows XP Professional SP3.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 5:39 AM   in reply to Haber1

Haber1

A major benefit of the Windows XP Mode ("virtual" Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit integrated with the "real" Windows 7 - in my case, Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit) was that it allowed me  to install older programs that would not install in Windows 7. The major benefit in my case was it offering me the means to install two HP printers that would not install in Windows 7 64 bit. As a result of this, I can use these printers in the Windows XP Mode or in the host Windows 7.

Another thing to be aware of with the Windows XP Mode, the internal type optical drive is a read only when you are in that mode. I have not tried it, but one suggestion for getting a burn to disc in the virtual Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit is to use an external burner with a USB connection. I find that essentially all of my work is in the host Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit, so I have not explored that suggestion to see if it would really work

There are all sorts of perks that I discover as I use all this.  As I said, the Windows XP Mode is a free download that is associated with certain versions of Windows 7. I do not believe the Windows XP Mode can be used with Windows 7 Home Premium version. I think that the versions where it can be used are:

Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows- xp-mode

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 9:12 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Physical RAM

As I understand it, it does depend on what sort of RAM amd motherboard you have

Earlier 64 bit systems used 2 x 32 bit ram cards so you really could only address to the max size of one of them.

If you are using the newer 64 bit memory cards and motherboards that can take them then this is not an issue.

Some computers were advertised unscrupulously as say 4gb (because they had 4gb in them) but you could only really access 2gb.for this reason.

The same happened when 32bit ram was introduced from 16b

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Haber1

Hi

I know this thread is old but for anybody else the main points are:

1. with 64bits you have numerous advantages with or without using 64bit programs and the main one is that if your motherboard allows it, you may install 8Gb [or more!] as opposed to 4Gb max memory recognised by a 32bit system - i.e. if you install 8Gb on 32bit W7, the system will only see 4Gb - at 64bit you will have the whole 8Gb, as long as you use the correct memory for that motherboard and if the memory allowed is a very fast one, your computer will fly!

2. PSE9 is a 32bit and I have the problem that since a 32bit application is 'automatically and forcibly' installed in Program Folder (x86), rather than Program Files folder, when you go to associate some or all image files with PSE9, you will not be allowed to do it [29 Feb 2012] and I have started a thread here about it:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4237260#4237260

I doubt it is possible unless you modify the register and make W7 believe PSE9 is a 64bit program!

I wonder and hope.

Regards

M

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points