Skip navigation

Very slow printing to default Adobe PDF printer

Nov 25, 2010 3:30 AM

Latest reply: bowen192, Oct 6, 2011 2:08 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2011 12:01 PM   in reply to ReactionAtWork

This is a rather long thread, but I want to add my 2 cents.

Rendering my company's book, (500 pages, containing 1 png per page or so) takes roughly 30 minutes. Horrible.

If we had known about this issue we probably would not have bought Framemaker. Our previous tool rendered the same content in a couple minutes.

Hopefully, this could be improved in future updates.

-Ian

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 12:04 PM   in reply to Iangull249

Ian, would you re-post your O/S info, and whether you're on a 64-bit system and/or in a VM?

Sheila

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to lsk2002

Still did a save as pdf that took 30 minutes. Was kind of scared to print to a pdf.

As Arnis suggests, print to .ps and Distill from .ps to pdf separately.

Report the time for each, and see where the time sink is.

I never save as PDF or print to PDF anymore, because the Distill path provides much more control (plus, I'm usually printing to PS from FM7 on Unix, and Distilling on Windows 7 with CS5 Acrobat(9)).

I only see serious slowdowns when there are network issues, or the PS or TPS object is really huge (2-4GB) due to some imports.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 12:02 PM   in reply to ReactionAtWork

... Using the PS first / distill later method makes little difference - I'm still waiting several minutes, ...

Yes, but how long in each phase?

|
    Mark as:
  • ddsbleton
    30 posts
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to ReactionAtWork

I'm replying mostly so I can follow the topic, but we also experience profoundly long PDF rendering times (30 or more minutes for a ca. 500 page book), regardless of settings.

Our old tools (open source toolchain based on latex/docutils) took about 5 minutes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 5:46 AM   in reply to ReactionAtWork

You can use a different program to create PDFs.  I know it boggles the imagination that Adobe's own product should have trouble with PDFs, but they do.

I use CutePDF (www.cutepdf.com), but there are lots of others out there.  They may not offer the same level of customization with regard to file size, but can certainly be faster and more robust than the home-grown variety.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 2:08 AM   in reply to dcrouse10

dcrouse10 wrote:

You can use a different program to create PDFs.  I know it boggles the imagination that Adobe's own product should have trouble with PDFs, but they do.

I use CutePDF (www.cutepdf.com), but there are lots of others out there.  They may not offer the same level of customization with regard to file size, but can certainly be faster and more robust than the home-grown variety.

It's not good, is it?

Things have got that bad now that I have to pdf in Foxit, manually add bookmarks and remove the Foxit mark manually in Acrobat, as this is faster/more reliable than using Adobe pdf.

As I said, not good at all.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points