Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

_blank issue

May 6, 2011 6:42 AM

I have a spry menu bar that has a link to a page that opens in about blank. The issue I'm having is after the page opens, if I hover over the spry menu bar that had the link to that page, the page minimizes.

If you have any idea what the problem is please help.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2011 8:31 AM   in reply to The Cruiser

Wow, I have never seen that. Do you have a link that we could see?

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 12:27 PM   in reply to The Cruiser

Hover over "Schools" and click on one of the links, then when the page is up hover over the same menu bar (the black one) and it should minimize the page.

For me, it opens a new website in a new tab in IE8 and IE9, as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 1:32 PM   in reply to The Cruiser

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you mean?

What bar?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 3:58 PM   in reply to John Waller

It all works fine for me in Chrome, Firefox and IE. I don't see any

problems or anything unexpected happening.

--

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 7:00 AM   in reply to The Cruiser

I don't see any problem in IE7.

As far as I know you can't control the size of another window by just simply hovering.

But, IE will remember the window size used when it was last closed. So if you close IE at full screen, it will open in full screen. If you close IE with a much smaller or minimized window, that's the size it will open in the next time you use it.

So unless you last closed IE when it was full screen, clicking a menu link in a newly opened IE Web page, will not open in full screen, but rather at the window size you last closed IE at.

_blank does not mean full screen, but simply open in a new window.. and it will be in whatever size you last closed IE. Now perhaps you are minimizing IE and then closing it.... so when you open IE next time, it's remembering the minimized size. So you click a link, open new window, give focus back to the first window....second window returns to it "opening default" size.

Try testing by just opening the main page, maximize to full screen, close IE (File / Exit). Open the page again and then test. Open main page, open second page. Go back and give first page the focus... hover or whatever.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to The Cruiser

Far as I know there is nothing you can do to change the size of a different window (window 2) from window 1 once window 2 has been opened... at least not with simple html or css...

For testing... maximize the second window, then Exit it before giving focus back to first window. Then maximize first window and Exit that also.

Then start over and test again.

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to The Cruiser

Don't know the exact answer... but here are a couple observations:

Yes, hovering over the second menu bar in window 1 does "grab focus" and window 2 moves behind it.

Without tearing the second menu bar apart, it's hard to tell if that is the problem or if it's more of a "browser" issue.

But, clicking and opening the second window (the _blank) brings up a page with many, many code errors, including no DOCTYPE declaration. This may be preventing that browser window from getting and holding focus.

Now once I manually move window 2 back in front of window 1, the hover has no effect... so I still think it's a browser issue... having to deal with a poorly coded page in window 2.

Validate those pages here:

http://validator.w3.org/

then test again.

If that fixes it...great! if not, a least you are one step closer to solving the problem... plus those _blank pages will work better.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 7:21 AM   in reply to The Cruiser

No it's not a common issue. As another poster mentioned, he'd never seen anything like it before... neither have I.

As for the PDFs working but not the HTML pages, that would make sense if the problem is that those HTML page are faulty, full of coding errors and cannot fully maintain focus. The PDFs on the other hand are correctly formed code which the browser can understand and correctly parse.

So either try correcting those other HTML pages (then validate again)....

Or create a simple "Hello World" new Web page. Make sure that it validates at the link I included earlier. Put that page in the menu along with the 3 pages that are causing problems and test that.

The reason for using a DOCTYPE declaration in the <head> of the HTML page is that it tells the browser which set of rules to use when parsing (reading the code and displaying content) the page. Without a set of rules, it drives the browser wacky and you could well get unexpected behavior like you are seeing.

I don't think your problem has anything to do with the menu, but rather I suspect those HTML pages being linked to.

Best of luck!

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points