Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else have a sluggish "timeline" problem?

May 7, 2011 2:35 PM

Anyone else have a sluggish "timeline" problem?    When I'm working on a project and need to zoom in or out of the timeline for editing; I have this frustratingly slow delay as I click my mouse several times.  I've had this issue since day one with my P.E. I've mentioned this before in an earlier post and never got a good answer.  I don't think it is my hardware as it is up to the task and "rendering" is very fast.  With my old PE 3 and a so so PC (dual-core 2 GB RAM) I could toggle/click the timeline button and have much better response.  Thanks for your thoughts.  Elwood  Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU Premiere Elements 9

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2011 2:38 PM   in reply to Elwoodbluesman

My guess would be that it's exactly the same issue that caused your previous issue with poor preview quality.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3649799#3649799

For some reason your operating system or hardware is failing to interface effectively with the program.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 5:53 PM   in reply to Elwoodbluesman

Do you happen to be using a Toshiba laptop?  Because my computer does a lot of what you described--video is bad quality, the timeline is slow and my clips always come up as unrendered, even though I'm using three different types of camcorders...I have a triple core phenom with 4 GB ram, but it isn't much better than my old laptop...

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 7:36 PM   in reply to Infinity Focus Photos

I assure you guys, your experience is by no means typical.

I'm working on a computer that runs a fraction of the power and and have never seen problems like this!

Wish I had a solution, though, other than to call Adobe Tech Support.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2011 6:00 AM   in reply to Elwoodbluesman

Are you saving all your project files on a different internal hard drive to the captured video files? If not it will be sluggish.

Best is to have 3 drives.  OS & PE9 on a smaller C, Video on a large E, Projects on F.

I turn off the timeline thumbnails except briefly when I really need them. You dont really need them most of the time because they only give you a rough idea of where you are and they are the chief cause of sluggishness particularly if you are looking at a large slice of time. In case you haven't found it, it is very quick to change the number of thumbnails by clicking on the little frame icon to the left of "Video 1"

If you select the thubnail option that shows one only at the start and end of each clip this is usually all you need.

The reason it is better to have big thumbnails is because there are fewer of them when they are larger

For zooming the timeline in and out, the slider at the right is virtually instant on my old Core duo with 3gb ram. When zooming in, position the cursor first then move the slider.

I always use the space bar with my left hand to start and stop the preview, This frees up the mouse to be at the next spot far quicker.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to Ted Smith

I've tried turning off thumbnails and that helps a little.  As far as using three hard drives, I have my OS and PE installed on my internal drive and I put my video files and the projects on an external HD.  Also, it usually takes a second or so when I push the play button on a rendered file and from 4-10 seconds on unrendered files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2011 8:36 AM   in reply to Infinity Focus Photos

>external HD

If that external drive is eSata or Firewire 800 you are OK... if USB, it has too slow a transfer rate for video editing

eSata Dock http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A 4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 10:05 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Ah.  I am using a USB hard drive (in fact, it uses mini USB ports).  However my computer does have an esata port and I plan on buying a portable hard drive that has esata also.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points