Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bring back Redbook CD burning for Audition CS5.5

Apr 11, 2011 10:28 AM

Like I'm interested in opening a new application like iTunes to burn my CDs.  I have my own studio and use both Audition and Pro Tools, and Audition is my tool of choice for burning Redbook CDs.  I think Adobe has dropped the ball on this one.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2011 5:23 PM   in reply to Galvman

Ouch!

I won't bother purchasing this version..what? No CD burning? What a waste of a good piece of software with a good pedigree!...! Is there any other way to either export or burn a finished cd project?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 6:36 AM   in reply to Bangkok007

Hi,

I fully agree. Audition needs Red Book CD burning if it wants to be taken seriously. Even Wavelab Elements has this option. I repeat what I've said in Adobe Mac Beta forum - digital distribution of content is OK, but many of us still need to deliver replication ready material to be produced in CD pressing plant. To advise us that we should use another app just for this purpose is ridiculous to say the least...

And no, neither iTunes nor Finder can burn Red Book Compatible audio CD (in DAO mode). I think that in Windows 7 the situation is similar and that there is a necessity to use external software to do DAO burning.

Here is the thread regarding lack of this option in Audition Beta Mac forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/749759?tstart=30

Regards,

Mac

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 4:16 PM   in reply to Bangkok007

Hi Bangkok007,

This might be a little late, but you can try imgburn.  First, you will need to, unless someone corrects me, "save selection as"  if you have multiple songs in one audio clip.  With imgburn, you first create a cue file and then burn your image to disk.  If I upgrade to CS 5.5, this is probably the approach that I will take.

Hope this helps.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 9:54 PM   in reply to Galvman

I just got CS5.5 I was expecting the CD Burning capabilities too. How do you have a major authoring/mixing software without a clear physical production option? I'm disappointed. The interface is pretty and I've got to try out the different tools that are there, but I need a good physical production method and was hoping to avoid having to create separate tracked WAVs to send to another burning software.

Wow... They really stripped down the functionality of this version compared with version 3. I've been using 1.5 and it seems like this may have been a bad purchase...

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 10:13 PM   in reply to T3ee

+1 for CD burning.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 4:22 AM   in reply to Galvman

Hello,

I want to add that I am also very upset by this missing aspect of the Mac Audition software, which I did buy after having used the PC version for several years. To be clear: that's unacceptable !

JM.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 7:05 AM   in reply to Galvman

I will also throw my vote in to restore the CD burning feature in CS5.5.

I was completely caught off guard last night at a function where I had to edit and burn a music track. I searched far too long to locate the "missing" CD burning feature - I believed I was simply too stressed and I was unable to locate where they moved the CD burning entry point. I was astounded that I couldn't find it because it never entered my mind that it would have been removed....how can you remove a vital feature and sell the new version as an upgrade?!

Luckily, I still had (and will now NOT remove) Audition v3 from my PC and I was able to satisfy my client's need.

I like the speed of CS5.5, but having to keep both version of software on my PC does not make sense. This will slow me down as I now have to save numbers of tracks after working them in CS5.5 only to import/open them in v3 to burn CDs.

Shame on you Adobe for this serious omission! Please restore this important functionality ASAP.

Thank you,

Dana

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 8:44 AM   in reply to Galvman

I was aware that this feature was excluded from the beta version. I thought that was simply to limit the functionality in the test release. However, I was greatly disappointed to find it missing in the trial download of the commercial release. I was previously using an older version on Windows and wanted to migrate to Mac after purchasing a shiny macbook. In my workflow in my day job I had become accustomed to marking up long audio speech recordings with track markers and then burning direct to a CD master. Now, it seems, I'll have to export the track segments as fresh .wav files (ie. doubling disk space) then importing them into itunes (another copy made there?) and creating a playlist of them to render as a CD. If that's not enough of a pain, there's the reduced functionality to create varied CDs with, maybe, different or shared track arrangements and other tricks that made my life a lot easier in the old version. I often make CDs in English and Welsh and it was so much easier to manage the complexity of such projects when you could save track listings and not need to make duplicate copies of files everywhere. In short, Adobe, BRING BACK THE CD AUTHORING, PLEASE! The lack of it is the one thing that is holding me back from purchasing this otherwise superb product.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2011 2:57 PM   in reply to Synthdance

CD burning happens to be track at once instead of disc at once. This may make it okay for most, but not for producing masters for CD pressing plants. That needs disc at once. But hey, if the you would like one or two CDs to send to the folks, track at once might be fine, but it's nothing I've used for any professional application. This could be the reason why that it was removed in version 5.5?

Imgburn is the replacement for CD burning function. You initially produce a cue file and then burn your CD.  It is a multi-step process, if you first need to save selections from your audio file as separate songs (because you no longer can work with track markers).  Imgburn has got the potential to burn cds with reduced or no errors, according to some.  There are a few Premier Pro users which use imgburn as opposed to the CD burning functionality built into Adobe Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2011 4:05 PM   in reply to cdpressing34

I don't believe that that is correct. I am sure that Audition 3.01 is capable of producing Disc at Once CDs. Also you don't need a multistep process to produce a CD from an Audition mastered audio file in ImgBurn. You just need the free Cuelist Tool to convert Audition's Track markers into a Cue list which ImgBurn can then use to burn your audio CD.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 10:26 PM   in reply to Galvman

I bought Audition CS5.5 after talking to the Adobe tech support who assured me that I could create CDs from Audition CS5.5!!!! Very disappointed!!!! I asked because I didn't see it on the webpage. Wow! I got hit really good with the shell game of your webpage and your phone tech support! Come on Adobe!!! Get real!!! Even your tech support can't believe that something major like that would be left out of the "New and Improved" MAC version!!!! Either they were uninformed or... well you fill in the blanks!!! You guys have got fix this!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2011 1:53 AM   in reply to stevandupree

The Mac version is certainly new but not yet improved. Since this is a completely new cross platform version rewritten from the ground up not all features from the PC version AA 3 have made it across. Hopefully CS 6 should have most things back and a lot more.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 1:02 AM   in reply to stevandupree

I'm very sorry to hear you were given the wrong information about CD Buring in Audition CS5.5. As you will read on many of the other forum threads here (and announcements on some of the Adobe informational web pages as well), Audition CS5.5 is mising some features you may be used to in earlier Windows versions. The short version of reasoning for this is simply, we built this version from the ground-up to be compliant with both Mac and Windows and time would not allow for all previous features to be re-implemented in this first version. The Audition team is still working hard on future versions of the cross-platform product, and we hope to add much more expected functionality as we move forward.

Here is our official Adobe help page which specifies some changes to our feature set as well as what is missing from the earlier Windows-only versions:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/895/cpsid_89588.html

Agian, I am very sorry for the incorrect information given to you by support. If you want to pass on additional information regarding this matter, please send our product team a direct email at audbugs@adobe.com.

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2011 1:30 PM   in reply to cdpressing34

cdpressing34 wrote:

CD burning happens to be track at once instead of disc at once. This may make it okay for most, but not for producing masters for CD pressing plants. That needs disc at once. But hey, if the you would like one or two CDs to send to the folks, track at once might be fine, but it's nothing I've used for any professional application. This could be the reason why that it was removed in version 5.5?

As far as Audition 3.0.1 is concerned that's completely and utterly wrong, as the post following observed. Audition 3.0.1 only writes disk-at-once. Primarily the reason for the original post was to include a link to the poster's site (not in my reply - I removed it), not to provide any useful information, obviously.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2011 7:49 AM   in reply to Galvman

Ditto to "bring back CD burning". At this point I'm forced to use a very old version rather than the new. This seems to be a common problem with software these days... eliminating useful features.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 1:58 PM   in reply to Greg Parke

As so many have already stated here, after years of using Audition, it was also a shock for me to discover that CD track markers and the CD burning capability altogether was removed from the new version! And on the FAQ page someone had the arrogance to say, "Other features, like CD burning, are not included because the majority of newly created content is distributed digitally, and inexpensive or free third-party CD burning tools, such as iTunes, are readily available." Wow.

First of all, it may be true that more content is being produced digitally and other CD burners are available, but many of us still produce commercial CDs for various markets (yes there is still a market for physical CDs) and have long depended on the ability to add track markers and burn CDs for clients directly from Audition. To remove this feature so casually and with such disregard for the needs of its long-term customers has really made me wonder about Adobe. For now, I'll need to stay with Audition 3 and just hope that this functionality is retored with version 6.

If not, I'll need to change to another program that allows this functionality as I can't imagine using iTunes or other such programs to burn professional quality CDs for mastering. Does anyone know if Adobe is listening to it's customers about this? I haven't heard anyone from Adobe actually say that the CD burning capability, with track markers, will be restored in version 6. So, if someone from Adobe development is reading this, I'm sure you have thousands of Audition customers who would like to know about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 2:08 PM   in reply to aloyisus54

Hi,

Durin from the Audition development team here.  I'm not able to confirm nor deny CD burning functionality in CS 6, I'll go on record that its absence is one of the most-missed features from Audition 3 and one of the most-requested features we receive.  While there are executive-level decision makers that are calling for the demise of physical media, and Adobe is not the loudest voice by far on this issue, those of us doing the work and talking to our customers on a daily basis understand that CDs are still alive and kicking for at least a few more years.

Thanks,

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 5:37 PM   in reply to _durin_

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in and urge Adobe to add Redbook CD mastering/burning back into Audition. But not in CS6, rather as a update patch to CS5.5, since CS5.5 really should have shipped with it!!

James

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 8:49 PM   in reply to Galvman

I know you're tired of hearing this one, but this came as a huge disappointment. This has been the primary reason I used Audition in the first place allowing me to discover all of the other great stuff. But without it, I'm completely cornrered now on this project, and will have to export it over to a windows box somewhere. No version of Audition should ship without it. There is a dearth of software that has this feature, and none with this simplicity and convenience (in the same program that I mastered in (obviously I used the windows one for years.   That feature was nailed on Windows, here's hoping you can get it into the Mac pronto. if you have a beta that has it, I would love to run it. (Hey, even an alpha ).

dex

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points