• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader could not open 'filename.pdf'" because it is either not a supported file type...

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a website that holds 23 different PDF's. They all download fine and open correctly when downloading from a Mac computer. They even download and open fine from a Mobile Phone. However my client is getting an error over and over again. I have tested it out and this is what I have come up with.

Error:

Adobe Reader could not open 'filename.pdf'" because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been corrupted (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)

I have resaved the PDF's to be compatible with Reader 6.

Works fine with

All Mac's using either Firefox, Chrome or Safari using Pro and Reader

iPhone downloads using iBook

PC's when downloading from Firefox viewing in Reader 9

PC's when downloading from IE 6.0 view on Reader 8

Error Message When

PC when downloading from IE 7 viewing on Reeder 9

PC when downloading from IE 8 viewing on Reader 9

Here goes the URL when the files resides.

Please help. I can not find a solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds that you want to read your .pdf files on your Mobile device,maybe iPhone, but failed? If that, you need to know that it is normal, because most of mobile device supports .pdf file veiwing poorly. The right way is to change the format from .pdf to .epub. Hope this would do you some indirections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is my client as well as most others own a PC with IE 7/8 on it. When they download the file they get the above error. It only happens with IE 7/8.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you download the file using IE 7/8 it actually comes over as 0KB. Thus not containing any information. However using the smae computer and downloading the file using Firefox it contains all the information.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mmm, this does not seem related to Reader as the file is downloaded by IE as 0 bytes whereas other browsers seem to work fine. Reader is invoked after the file has been downloaded. You should also try posting your question in Microsoft's IE forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to solve this issue.  I am having the same issue now.  I have an app which generates reports and sends it as an attachment to senior managers.  but they are not able to open the report.  We all see the above error you mention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi i have solved the ie bug creating the pdf phisically, this is the code i use:

$hostname = "XXXXXX";
$database = "XXXXX";
$username = "XXXXX";
$password = "XXXXXX";
$db = mysql_pconnect($hostname, $username, $password) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR);

mysql_select_db($database, $db);
$query_rs_docs = "SELECT * FROM doc WHERE doc_name='".$_GET['doc_name']."'";
$rs_docs = mysql_query($query_rs_docs, $db) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rs_docs = mysql_fetch_assoc($rs_docs);
$totalRows_rs_docs = mysql_num_rows($rs_docs);

$t_pdf = fopen("/path to doc folder/doc/".$row_rs_docs['doc_name'], "w+");

fwrite($t_pdf, $row_rs_docs['doc_file']);
fclose($t_pdf);

header('Location: http://www.portalesardegna.com/doc/'.$row_rs_docs['doc_name']);

the db table (doc_name must contain the .pdf extension):

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `doc` (
  `doc_ID` int(10) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `doc_name` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `doc_file` longblob NOT NULL
  PRIMARY KEY  (`doc_ID`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM;

Message was edited by: Portale Sardegna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines