Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Publishing just one .folio to a few Ipad

May 10, 2011 2:27 AM

Hi, I would need some help because I am rather confused about the new method for publishing .folio files onto an Ipad.

Actually with the pre-release system it was vey simple to save a .folio file onto my desktop to be sideloaded later onto the Ipad by I-Tunes but now it seems that I must buy a quite expensive service in order to do that again :-(

I mean that all I would like to do is to create a .folio file for a personal presentation of my activity (I am a single artist, not a publishing company) and I would like it to be saved on the Ipads of my contacts (18 pieces).

I was used to create a presentation with a .pdf file saved onto usb keys that I gave as a present to my contacts, but now I just would like to take advantage of the new Overlay-Creator functions  in order to make more attractive presentation (with 360° Viewer and Pan&Zoom effects).

What I am trying to explain is that I do not want to sell the  presentation itself neither I need to have a large public diffusion of this file: I just need to have it downloaded and saved on the 18 Ipads of my friends and contacts.

Obviously is not woth to pay an expensive subscription just to create a simple and private .folio, so please could someone of Adobe say clearly if the new features are dedicated to great publisher only?

Thanks!

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2011 4:31 AM   in reply to Pierluis

You don't have to buy anything but you do need an Acrobat.com account. You can use that to share your folios with other users. You can only have one folio at a time with free Acrobat.com account.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 5:53 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob,

i am also a bit confused about the pricing and the hole publishing process. For example, a client of us wants to produce a small info magazine and wants to offer this magazine in the apple app store for free. But when i understand it right you have to buy the Professional Edition to do this?! So, where are the solutions for small companys who wanted to publish a small info magazine for free and cant pay about 8.000 EUR per year for that???

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 8:02 AM   in reply to diedänen

Yep, you have to deliver the big bucks to Adobe and Apple before you can publish a simple issue to readers!

No, not joking, you have to pay - big time!   :-(

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 3:42 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob,

I agree with Pierluis that the new system is a bit confusing. My question is: how do I get my .folio into the iPad? I have a free Acrobat.com account and I can see my .folio online. But what I can't do is seeing my .folio on my iPad. How can I download it? If I sign in with my details into my Adobe content viewer, I would expect to see the .folio there? But it is not there. Could you please shed any light on this? Many thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 5:19 AM   in reply to Fabthink

The current viewer is not compatible with the current tools. Unfortunately Apple is taking its sweet time in approving it.

There's nothing anyone can do but wait.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 5:25 AM   in reply to Fabthink

Agree with others above.

I wanted to create some internal interactive publications for our company (just a couple of hundred people), newsletters, building maps that kind of thing. But this is not possible due to the massive costs of actually creating distributing the completed digital publication. As I understand it I'll need to sign up for a Professional account so I can use Viewer Builder to create the App (IPA) and submit to Apple.

Adobe really want this to be be for mass market magazines rather than the small guy.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to Pierluis

Again, the current viewer won't work with the new tools. You're going to have wait for Apple to approve the updated viewer and the everything SHOULD work.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 1:09 PM   in reply to Pierluis

However, it is STILL not clear from the last answer if Adobe is going to allow one .folio file to be saved to your local copy of iTunes and then when synced, viewed on the iPad. The question is - will the new viewer app on the iPad allow that task? If not, we have really been mislead, because Terry White and others have implied that all you do is just create your document, and presto! You can watch it right on your iPad.  I've already invested heavily because of these statements and if (as a lone individual) I am NOW required to purchase the expensive DPS solution as if I were a large publisher, I'll be asking for refunds.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 1:24 AM   in reply to Dogwalker1251

Sideloading (loading a folio using iTunes) is no longer available in the final version of CS 5.5

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 7:40 AM   in reply to Pierluis

I agree with Pierluis that the new system is a bit confusing.

Why actually  it wasn't possible to save a .folio file onto my desktop to be sideloaded later onto the Ipad ?

Honestly I am still rather confused because I can not understand why the pre-release method (when I could have a "file.folio" saved on my desktop) has been so dramatically changed !!!

ps. Pierluis are you Italian ? I can contact you?

Ivan

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 7:51 AM   in reply to Ivan.V

Why has it been changed? So you have to pay.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 8:54 AM   in reply to Pierluis

What a fantastically confusing mess this DPS has been thus far.  From early betas to name changes to program/app discontinuations.  A total mess.  They should immediately take down those Digital Magazine clips on Adobe TV.  Worthless at this point.

Finally I find this thread...in which the OP asks the absolutely CRITICAL question "Will we be able to simply distribute .folio files ourselves?" 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that a huge percentage of Digital Magazines created would NOT be done so for subscription distribution, but for private - mostly corporate usage.  Interactive presentations/brochures that sales people could show or email to clients, etc.  The potential we have here is enormous in that respect.  If there ends up being some sort of free or low cost subscription model, that will no doubt take off as well, but the real potential here is an interactive brochures.

Of course, we're not going to know until the app update is released, but if Adobe restricts this so that we will not be able to privately distribute .folio files I'm going to take my copy of CS5, place it in the middle of my street, and light it on fire.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 8:58 AM   in reply to Pierluis

@ Pierluis

Wait, you are saying that you can't save a .folio file to the desktop, but you can save it to an Acrobat.com account?

What?

WHAT?

Again, this just gets more and more confusing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 9:04 AM   in reply to landrvr1

I don't believe the new viewer (whenever Apple decides to approve it) will solve the things we're complaining about here. I was told to complain on the Adobe Facebook page for the DPS. Really?  I would rather take my $12,000 (minimum) expense and hire an iPad developer to create my OWN shell. Then, nobody can control the distribution of my own content, make changes to agreements and software without letting anyone know, mislead us via videos, blog posts, etc, and as soon as we get in, raise the price. Do you think if Apple had charged everyone $12,000 a year to make an app that there would be ninety gillion of those things available? Adobe - do you think if you charged little guys $0 and made money off the content that was sold you would make a WHOLE lot more? Come on people - common sense here - I am really pissed because this slight change killed a fantastic business idea I'd been working on for weeks. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to do it and write Adobe totally out of the loop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 9:09 AM   in reply to landrvr1

Lets get this straight, this is what I know and believe to be correct:

• You can publish 1 .folio file to your acrobat.com account for free.

• You then install the Adobe Viewer on your iPad login into your account and view the .folio in the Adobe Viewer, but at the moment the Adobe Viewer requires an update which has been submitted to Apple so currently you will get an error until the update is released.

• You cannot sideload .folio files in the production release of CS5.5 to the Adobe Viewer.

• You cannot save a .folio file locally on your HD, you must publish to your acrobat.com account

• You have to have a Pofessional or Enterprise account to publish your .folio and make them into a App that you then can submit to Apple. Only with a paid subscribtion will you get acces to the Adobe Viewer Builder, this is what turns your .folio into an App.

I agree with other comments, corporate brochures, internal corporate guides and publications for small businesses would be great but it seems Adobe are targeting DPS at large magazine publishers who have 1000's of readers. Adobe are missing out here.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to Pierluis

Okay, interesting replies.  I'm not ready to get the gasoline tank out just yet. 

Now, the questions are these:

If you have a Basic or Plus Acrobat.com account, will that enable you to host more than one .folio account that others would be able to load onto their iPads?

If yes, would they also need their own FREE or PAID Acrobat.com account?  Or could you send them a download link?

How and where did you guys hear about the Acrobat.com hosting option?  Is that in the CS5.5 help files?  I can find no info on this page:  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/home/

Is the .folio file actually STORED on the iPad; to be viewed without an internet connection?  Or is it a 'streaming type' service?  I don't mind in the least that someone would have to download, but if it's a streaming type file that would be horrid.

How in the world do you test your content?  Within InDesign?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2011 10:59 AM   in reply to landrvr1

If you have an Acrobat.com account that allows you to create multiple workspaces, you can create multiple folios. When you use the Folio Builder to create a folio, the folio is stored on Acrobat.com. When you sign in to the Adobe Content Viewer on the mobile device, you can download any folio that you have access to. You can share any folio you create with anyone else who has a valid Adobe ID, and they can download folios to their mobile devices. Once downloaded, these folios remain on the mobile devices, even without an internet connection. To answer your question, it's not streamed.

One issue that's causing confusion is the question of sideloading .folio files. With the old workflow, you could create .folio files and share them with others. Anyone could use iTunes to sideload those .folio files to their iPads. With the new workflow, regardless of account type, the .folio file format happens behind the scenes. Sideloading to the Adobe Content Viewer is no longer possible. The Share option replaces sideloading. (Sideloading is still available with custom development apps for paying customers, but that's a different issue.)

Another issue that's causing confusion is that people think they can use acrobat.com to edit and publish folios. That's not the case. Paying customers can use the http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com site to edit and publish folios. Non-paying customers can create folios and share them with others, but they cannot publish them to any of the stores (App Store, Android Market, App World, etc.).

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 11:16 AM   in reply to Pierluis

Thank you, Bob, for some clarity.

It's great that we can at least publish 1 or multiple folios using Acrobat.com without needing the DPS subscription service.  At least the Basic and Plus Acrobat.com account pricing is realistic!  I'm sorry to see the sideloading feature vanish...it's clear that Adobe wants a $piece$ of the action in terms of any content delivery method.  On one hand I can see your position, but on the other it's a bit of nickle and diming just because it's digital content as opposed to printed.  I'd urge Adobe to rethink that position.  Adobe doesn't get a fee for printed documents I might produce and deliver to my co-workers and clients, but they expect some $ for digital?  Yikes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 11:51 AM   in reply to Pierluis

I can not understand the attitude of Adobe and annoy me just yet. Just take it like Apple does. 30% of the price of an app as a fee, and if the app costs nothing, you have to pay no fee. Thats simple! What's next? Fees for each InDesign file, or any SWF? That's really disappointing. And now will not come back with the cloud and Acrobat. We simply want to take apps by Sideload, or right to offer for free on the App Store without paying thousands of Dollars! It's really not fair Adobe...

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 2:23 PM   in reply to diedänen

I think its perfectly fair the way the pricing structure is thus far. Apple charges you a yearly fee for a license to upload... test.. and create apps.. even if your making free apps your still paying that yearly licensing fee.  Adobe charges you for a license on a monthly basis to access .. test.. edit ... distribute....  and then charges you for "folio credits" if your app requires multiple folios to be downloaded. I do however believe Adobe should work out a method to continue to distribute your content while you still have "credits" available and not necessarily renew your license.   I mean options like mag+ follow this same reasoning.. and can become even more expensive than the DPS... and that option will cost you $2,500 for your first app.....

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to Pierluis

meh.

When I create a print document for distribution throughout my company, Adobe makes ZERO money off that process.  Nada.  Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.

As it well should be.

The only difference here is that we are now looking at digital content.  There shouldn't be a difference, period.

Removing the sideloading feature now forces people to essentially pay Adobe for the priveledge of using InDesign to create privately distributed digital content.

Fail.

FAIL.

FAIL.

Widespread subscription models?  Fine.  No problem.  Charge away.  Adobe's gotta eat.  But an electronic iPad presentation that I want to load privately onto a dozen salespeoples' iPads?  It's absolutely Ludicrous that we should have to pay to do that.

As soon as a viable sideload option becomes available from another vendor, I'm switching toot sweet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 2:39 PM   in reply to landrvr1

I mean, what's next?  Is Adobe planning on a way in which all Flash swf files that I create will require some sort of subscription purchase?  No matter how low the cost or convenient?  lol.

Again, this entire launch is a hamfisted mess.  Nevermind the goofy subscription approach for creating private content...How in the world was this also not designed and marketed as an interactive presentation and brochure tool?   I mean, there's not even a slight amount of verbiage on that approach ANYWHERE to be found, lol.

Jesus Wept.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 2:49 PM   in reply to David Ben

OK, Apple: yearly fee 99 $ for a developer account. Adobe: Round about 6000 $ yearly fee. Apple: 250.000 downloads of a free app, 0 $ fee. Adobe: 250.000 downloads of free app/magazine, round about 50.000  $. Or I'm wrong ?

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 2:46 PM   in reply to landrvr1

I totally agree with landrvr1

"Removing the sideloading feature now forces people to essentially pay Adobe for the priveledge of using InDesign to create privately distributed digital content.".................

But an electronic iPad presentation that I want to load privately onto a dozen salespeoples' iPads?  It's absolutely Ludicrous that we should have to pay to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 2:57 PM   in reply to Pierluis

perfectly fair ... no, perfect fail.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 3:05 PM   in reply to landrvr1

As we have been discussing in the pre-release...

We are a small design company and only produce one magazine and a few books.  Again there are many routes to take when bringing your publications to IOS or android.. People are upset as if Adobe just cut off their legs and have prevented them from bringing their publications world-wide.  We have two apps that we developed ourselves (by ourselves i mean i basically imported  from indesign and coded the app myself in flash) and it works like it should, but we want a quicker and easier solution.... so we are willing to pay the price.  In all reality Adobe hasn't been advertising this product to one app “self-publishers” .. Its advertised as a media and business solution.

Adobe probably would have gotten a lot less upset customers if they would have just distributed the DPS as a optional plugin... or a Paying Customer only plugin-- but they choose to include it inside InDesign CS5.5 as an "extended" feature .. with the option to upgrade...

Adobe is just being a business and charging for its own publishing solution.. and it is in no way preventing you from publishing or using indesign to make your own IOS applications.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to David Ben

And the DPS at $6,000 is competitively priced to other InDesign (and QuarkX) to IOS solutions..  we have tested MANY and all range from $6,000 to $12,000 a year.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 3:30 PM   in reply to Pierluis

Adobe simply cannot release this amazing new version of InDesign - with so much promise for non-coded iPad interactivity...only to tell people that you gotta pay extra in order to distribute private content.

On second thought, they can. 

Why are we pissed?

Because EVERY bit of marketing and promo crap leading up to this moment in time gave NO indication that we'd be expected to shell out even more $$$ in order to distribute our own stuff.

Why are we pissed?

Because the potential for this tool is enormous and Adobe knows this and suddenly wants a piece of what we create.  I mean, I seriously can't believe that somebody at Adobe didn't think about brochures and other non-subscription content.  They probably did, and they didn't care.

Why are we pissed?

Because we expect better from Adobe.

Nobody's saying that we want something for free.  Nobody.  Here's a scenario:

Scenario 1

I create a printed brochure and pass it out to salespeople.  Adobe gets no money.

Scenario 2

I create a digital version for the iPad and pass it out to salespeople.  Adobe gets money (because they disable the very feature that would have kept their hands out of my pocket.)

lol.

God bless 'em, though.  They know they've got us over a barrel.  Because though I'm sitting here complaining endlessly, I'll be upgrading my Acrobat.com subscription level as soon as the new app version comes out of the Content Viewer.

As of now, they are pretty much the only game in town unless you want to agonize over learning C++ for iPad app creation, lol.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 4:14 PM   in reply to landrvr1

Trust me i understand your frustration.

But there are many other options and products emerging  (...sooo not the only game in town).. InDesign to Dreawever to ios... InDesign to flash to iOs.. mag+.. Aquafadas Digital Publishing... Pixel mag....(we have tested most of these solutions and still favor DPS for its price and features) These range from Plug-ins to Entire solutions.

Adobe advertised... but only ended putting that little *fine print* note-- telling you that it would require an additional license.

Trust me this has been the issue raging in the Pre-release.. and the pricing model now is actually an adjustment from two previous versions.. you should have seen it before.

My team orginally wanted to use the software for an internal newletter.. but i realized i can't get mad ---thats not what the DPS was created to do.

So when you say "..... I mean, there's not even a slight amount of verbiage on that approach ANYWHERE to be found, lol...." thats because the DPS wasnt created as a solution for small brochure creation? And although you can use the tools in that manner.. it seems silly to get upset.. because you want to use the tools in ways other than what it was created for.

It would probably be wise for adobe to extend the Acrobat.com integration so non-commerial content can at least be viewed in the viewer app.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 4:21 PM   in reply to David Ben

Well, at least we've got the Acrobat.com distribution method that has a reasonably low cost.

What did you think of Aquafadas Digital Publishing?  I found a demo rather sluggish...

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 4:34 PM   in reply to landrvr1

The first version was a little "laggy" but they just updated the plugin.. and hosted a webinar yesterday.  we enjoyed the solution mainly for its PDF integration and the fact the content comes from your own server. They also have a working "webviewer" where Adobe is still working on their "webviewer" and "desktop solution"

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 7:06 PM   in reply to Pierluis

I've been looking into this deeply. It seems QuarkXpress (aka theywhoshallnotbenamed) 9 will have a function to export an app for iOS and Android.

Maybe adobe should come down to earth.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points