Skip navigation
arlynxyu
Currently Being Moderated

Future Support the HP Touchsmart TM2?

Apr 12, 2011 7:54 AM

Hey the new iPad apps look really awesome. Unfortunately, as a graphic designer, I decided to get a computer with a built in Wacom digitizer instead of a giant iPod. It seems unfair TM2 owners would not get this functionality, as realistically, the TM2 is the ONLY laptop, desktop, macos or iOS product with a built in Wacom digitizer. It is the only AIO product that has out of the box pressure sensitivity that works with photoshop. If Adobe made hardware like Apple, this would have been their signature photoshop device, or as close to it as could realistically be expected. It's unfair that others and i are going to lose out on these professional and awesome tools just because i'm too serious to buy a toy for my work. It's unrealistic to expect people to drop 700 bucks on smearing paint with their fingers when we already have that functionality.

You should not be driving iPad sales with these apps. You should inticing people instead to buy the slate they're going to have the best Photoshop experience on, thus creating an environment that literally facilitates the cultivation of pleased consumers. If I can do more with Photoshop on this machine than any other, then certainly my Photoshop experience is going to be more positive. Creating apps for the TM2 will make the people interested in these types of apps more likely to buy the device that will give them the best Product Satisfaction,

I'd like to see it implemented so that I can dual- or triple-display using extended desktop, having the apps run in full screen on the tm2 and using the other displays for my workspace.

Any effort made would certainly be appreciated (understatement) by myself and many, many others.

Apple has enough wind in it's sails at any rate.

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to arlynxyu

Guess you didn't buy a ThinkPad W701ds laptop with dual screen built in color calabrator and Wacom tablet. Photoshop is not going to preform well on a $800 tablet....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-W701-DS-17WUXGA-10-6WXGA-i7-SSD-HD -16GB-/330542365162?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4cf5dc39ea#ht_3297wt_128 2

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5580778465_87c2aedb81_o.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2011 5:49 PM   in reply to arlynxyu

How many more of these machines do you think I should buy in order to begin development for Adobe Tablet apps on other platforms?

You only need one to start developing apps. Just download the SDK and develop your idea for a new app.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 8:07 AM   in reply to arlynxyu

Unfortunately, The mentioned Thinkpad doesn't contain a touch screen or digitizer, so there is no SDK to create apps for i

Yeah, the same SDK you use to write for tablets works just fine for desktop systems.  Despite the unfortunate "Touch" name that got tacked on at the last minute -- the SDK is about communicating with Photoshop over networks and not about touch screens or digitizers.

You said you wanted applications written using the new SDK for your system -- and I told you that you can use the SDK to write applications for your system.

I have no idea where you got the rest of that stuff.

We put the SDK out there so that other people can develop for whatever platform they want.

We are not going to be the sole supplier of applications to communicate with Photoshop anymore than we are the sole supplier of plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 9:42 AM   in reply to arlynxyu

point out that your press release says the SDK is only for mobile OS's. Android, iOS, Blackberry.

Where did you find a press release with that statement?

All the ones I've read say it also supports MacOS (we didn't get a native Windows sample app written in time, though).

Again, the SDK is about network communication - the type of device does not matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 10:21 AM   in reply to arlynxyu

She said mobile and tablet devices... because that was the topic of that particular blog post.

Nothing there says that the SDK is limited to just those devices.

You simply read too much into that one blog post.

Again, any device that can connect over TCP/IP and support some basic encryption can communicate with Photoshop using the SDK.

That could be MacOS, Windows, tablets, phones, my TiVO, an internet enabled TV, etc.

What possible use could it have?  An offscreen tutorial system, collecting student work in a classroom, render farm control, a print kiosk, slideshows on your TV, setting colors from a remote measurement system, or anything else that could be automated through javascript and connecting to Photoshop over the network.

Lava, Nav and Eazel are tablet examples.  They make sense on tablet like devices, and may get ported to other tablet like devices (some just take more time because their toolchain is not as well polished at this time).

Other examples will be coming, and third party applications are already being announced.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to arlynxyu

My biggest gripe with Adobe is their fanboy attitude with Apple.  As an electronic engineer I started working in what was to be called Silicon Valley in 1961. I followed Woz and Jobs as they created Apple and purchased their first offerings.  After many years in the valley following many new startups, including one I also helped create, I have become disenchanted with apple guidance and marketing.  I will never buy another Apple product no matter how good it's engineering as long as Jobs runs the company.

Therefore, I purchased a Motorola/Google XOOM and am greatly pleased with its performance even at this early stage of Honeycomb development. I would also like to voice my opinion that Adobe also provide software for the many Android devices that are available and multiplying.

Added: I do have the crippled Photoshop app on my XOOM.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points