Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CSS for Book Document in 5.5

May 9, 2011 8:31 PM

I believe I've just found another glaring problem with the epub implementation in CS5.5.

I have a 20 chapter book. Created with very consistent styles for everything and using a book file to keep all styles synchronized.

But when I create the epub -- I get a new set of styles for every chapter. One CSS style sheet doc. But 20 copies of every style. Body-Text, Body-Text-1, Body-Text-2, etc.

Just to be sure I wasn't causing this, I just resynched all paragraph styles. No change.

This takes away a whole lot of the value of styles. Now if I want to edit the CSS I have to edit every entry 20 times. This is nuts.

Is there a place where I should be complaining about this? (The other glaring error I'd love to talk about is the way images are handled. Adobe insists on creating height/width descriptors based on a 72 dpi screen (which doesn't exist anymore) rather than the pixel dimensions of the image -- which is what all ereaders expect. Absolute dimensions ought to be an option, at least.)

I was very optimistic about this version of ID. But the deeper I get into it the more disappointed I am.

Thanks to anybody who can help --

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2011 2:47 AM   in reply to SteveC100

SteveC100 wrote:

I believe I've just found another glaring problem with the epub implementation in CS5.5.

I have a 20 chapter book. Created with very consistent styles for everything and using a book file to keep all styles synchronized.

But when I create the epub -- I get a new set of styles for every chapter. One CSS style sheet doc. But 20 copies of every style. Body-Text, Body-Text-1, Body-Text-2, etc.

Yes I had that as well. But unfortunatly I haven't found the time to go into more with testing. If that IS a bug, its a massive problem

These and other reasons are why I still make epubs using CS3. (200 epubs and counting )

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 4:38 AM   in reply to marcusstringer

The place to report bugs is here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

That said, what happens if you just assign an already existing CSS file?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 7:55 AM   in reply to SteveC100

Why don't you just map the p tag to those styles and then create a CSS rule for the p tag?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 9:25 AM   in reply to SteveC100

New to CS5.5 is the ability to map any paragraph style to any HTML tag.

Capture.PNG

Once you've done that it's a simple matter of defining the tag in the CSS.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 9:50 AM   in reply to SteveC100

You won't get any of that if you don't specify classes when you export. It's way cleaner that way but you have to be able to write your own CSS.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 10:28 AM   in reply to SteveC100

You could be losing some manual overrides, but other than that, I don't know.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 2:51 PM   in reply to SteveC100

Gaaaaa...

If this really is the case, (because I havn't tested it yet) There is no way in hell I want to go and map style names to tag name, (does Adobe not understand how many that could be) That's insane the amount of time I'm going to spend on that task when it was working just fine thank you in every other edition...

I'm off to test and retest...if this really is the case, does Adobe offer refunds, as this is a deal breaker...

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 3:11 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

30 day money back policy, but if you simply open the Paragraph Styles menu you'll find a command called Edit All Export Tags. Shouldn't take you but a couple of minutes to do every style.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 7:10 AM   in reply to marcusstringer

You can do them all together without opening the styles definition at all:

1. Go to the paragraph style panel or to the character style panel
    2. In the panel menu > Edit akk Export Tags…

Here you find a list of all Paragraph styles and you can edit all export tags in only one step. This done in one document lets synchronize the whole book.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 12:45 PM   in reply to SteveC100

I will ask what I asked before (since I don't remember the answer). Have these documents been edited in CS5 or CS5.5 before synching? If not, I'm not so sure this a bug as it is the text reflowing because of the difference in text engines.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 2:58 PM   in reply to SteveC100

Very strange behavior. I wish I had an explanation for you.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points