Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro - replace After Effects composition with original footage?

Sep 24, 2010 6:06 AM

I have a Premiere Pro project where I have replaced some clips with linked After Effects compositions (= doing the grading and stabilization in AE).
Is there a way of undoing this and easily reverting to the original clips in the place of the linked compositions? I'm thinking of a command that would simply restore the original clips.
Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2010 6:15 AM   in reply to David Carr

No such animal, I'm afraid, though it would be nice. You have a couple options:

1. Always, always, always be sure to duplicate your sequence and stash it away somewhere in your project before doing the Replace. That way you have something to go back to if you need it. Always.
    2. Immediately after initiating a Replace (and letting the comp be created in AE with all footage imported), Edit > Undo (Ctrl+Z) the action in Premiere. This will undo the Replace and remove the comp from Premiere, BUT the comp will still be created and all footage placed in it in After Effects. After you do your work in AE, just drag the AE comp into Premiere, and plop it on a track above your original edit. That way, you can easily tweak the original edit in Premiere, and then copy and paste stuff back in AE to your DL'ed comp, if you need to.
    3. This will have varying degrees of success, but may be your only salvage if it's too late for the first two: you can copy and paste your footage items from your AE comp into a new Premiere Pro sequence, or you can use File > Export > Premiere Pro Project from AE, and then import that into Premiere. Either way, it's going to be a little ugly due to the way that AE and Premiere work differently with their respective timelines (layers vs. tracks), but it can save your bacon when you need it. I've actually used this method to recover hopelessly busted Premiere Pro projects, as well; it takes some rebuilding, but at least you don't lose everything.

Make a feature request for your initial concept: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 7:31 AM   in reply to David Carr

The easiest way is to copy and paste the clip to the track above (in Premiere) and use that to replace with AE comp.  Simple!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 8:01 AM   in reply to David Carr

I've run into this problem too, with CS5.5. It seems to me that this should not need such an elaborate workaround from the user, this should be a feature in the suite itself. Now I'm expected to make a backup copy by hand, if I need to go back to the original edit in Premiere, after it's been replaced by an AE comp.

Is there no other way to do this? I can't be the only one that finds this very annoying and complicated? Because of this I'd rather not work with the linked comps because the way it works now actually is hurting my workflow more than it is supporting it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but suppose I have footage that I need to see with some specific AE effect to gain better insight into how it would fit in my PP project, I replace it with an AE comp with the effects, but then I see that it needs to be longer, I just missed that specific bit of footage that is right before the start of my cut. Now there is no way to get to that from the material I have on my timeline in PP. Apart from reintroducing the footage (which can be a pain, if you're working on a large project) as a clip in PP and redoing the replace with comp action. Or is there?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 8:54 AM   in reply to marcusmoonen
    It seems to me that this should not need such an elaborate workaround from the user

Copy/paste is elaborate?

And don't forget about using the History panel/Undo command.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to marcusmoonen

Welcome to the forum.

I can see the need for such a simple solution. As per Colin's reply above, the Feature Request is the way to "catch Adobe's attention."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 8:59 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff,

Just a quick question please: won't History be reset, if one has exited from the Project?

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 9:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Of course.  But in the scenario marcusmoonen outlined, all the experimenting would occur during the same editing session.  At least that's how I parsed his post.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 9:24 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I like the word "parse." It's just fun to say: parse, parse, parse.

If you parse a post, and then quote part of it, are you making "parse-snips?"

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 9:28 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham
    If you parse a post, and then quote part of it, are you making "parse-snips?"

Oww. Owww. Owww. Groan.

-Jeff

Back on topic - it would be nice to know if marcusmoonen is closing Pr when he switches to AE to add effects to the clip in the new comp.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 9:50 AM   in reply to David Carr

How bout this: Before making the After Effects Comp from the clip, make the clip a subclip in the project. Then, should you ever want to revert back to the clip, just click once on the subclip in the project, then go to the comp on the timeline, right-click and choose "replace with clip in bin". That would do it, I'm sure. Making a subclip before making the comp would only take a few seconds, really.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points