Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Community Help - Remove old Applications

Apr 25, 2011 4:14 AM

With Adobe Creative Suite 5 Adobe Community Help was installed for the first time on my computer.

As I have installed Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 before uninstalling Adobe Creative Suite 5, and afterwards uninstalled Adobe Creative Suite 5, I now see several Adobe Creative Suite 5 products and Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 products in my Adobe Community Help Client.

How can I get rid of old applications no longer installed in the Adobe Community Help Client?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2011 8:06 AM   in reply to franz.w

You can manually delete the cached archives in the prefs of the help client under the Local Content section....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 11:16 PM   in reply to franz.w

I don't quite follow.... Even in CS5.5 many products will be listed as CS5 - there simply is no Photoshop CS5.5 or some such thing. Other than that removing the archives should work just fine, if you don't suffer from any permission issues. At least I'm not aware of any standing conflicts here....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2011 7:41 AM   in reply to franz.w

Actually I think there is nothing to delete in this case. The incremental update only brings a few new files, but otherwise builds on the old ones. I agree it's a confusing mess, but due to my involvement as a Community Help Moderator I was told that it is very much meant to be this way - the help client will only download files according to how they have been tagged in the database and that unfortunately isn't always aligned with the current product cycle and versions. In fact the next patch for PS could even make a third entry appear, if it introduces a new section/ page in the help... On teh other hand, they may straighten this out with a mini update to the help client. I'm sure you can also dabble with manualyl editing the XML files, but that would require deeper investigation, so I cannot give you any specific pointers...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 4:54 PM   in reply to franz.w

Hi Franz:  are you using the latest version of the Community Help application (version 3.5)?  We specifically engineered a function to bias the app and not display content for older versions.

You can manually update the application by visiting our install page here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/chc

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2011 3:21 PM   in reply to Mark Nichoson

I have the same issue after upgrading from Flash Builder Burrito to Flash Builder 4.5:  the main page displays both products, and the best I can do is go into Preferences > Local Content and delete the older topic content.

I'm using the latest version of Adobe Community Help (3.5.0.23)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to franz.w

Mark, Iam using 3.5.0.23 which states it is completely up to date.

After removing the old CS5 suite and upgrading to CS5.5 I can report that ALL of the old community help for the old suite is STILL present along side the new documentation.

Although there is an option in "Local Content" to delete old documentation, this list does not correlate AT ALL to the documentation from the old suite listed in "Download Prefferences".

It isn't really relevent whether or not the old documentation listed in this section is downloaded or not. The annoying thing is that it's STILL listed. (In my case I had to go through and untick ALL of the old applications documentation).

Example "Adobe Media Encoder CS5" unticked, "Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5" ticked etc. etc.

This bias that your talking about obviously doesn't appear to work. The old documentation is still listed in "Download Preferences". Those options in the download section of the Adobe Community Help application should have been removed when I uninstalled the old CS5 suite (obviously an ommition). So something should be implemented in the Adobe Community Help application to enable users to "not see" those options if they do not have the relevent applications or suites installed. (They shouldn't really have to go through this list deciding which ones to tick and which ones to untick... after the suite is uninstalled, these options still remain ticked and continue to update along side the new applications causing a slow down of the community help application while it indexes the files and another burden on disk space and fragmentation and bandwidth). The help for an entire "master suite" is quite substantial. It really doesn't need to be duplicated in this way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points