Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

There's got to be a better way to do this (RAM preview frustration)

May 8, 2011 2:20 AM

I loaded a 1:20 second Full HD clip into after effects. I need to edit the video based on certain sounds in the video and see if I'm matching them up correctly by previewing it with sound.

The problem is i'm getting frustrated due to After effects not behaving like Premiere. First who thought it was a good idea not to incorporate sound into after effects? Second, I have an i7 sandy bridge processor, and 16 gbs of ram, yet it still takes time to render the ram preview (with no effects on it yet).

So ram preview is my only option for sound, but the problem is every time I hit ram preview it starts the video all the way from the beginning. This is frustrating as I want to start at a specific point. Imagine having a longer video where the editing needs to take place at the end.

There are people out there doing a lot more complicated professional projects, what do you guys do to get around this?

Why can't after effects do some basic things like premiere like render fast with sound? Is it due to Mercury engine and 64 bits?

This is one of the best products on the market, surely there is a better way to do this right?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2011 4:34 AM   in reply to DigitalSoju
    but the problem is every time I hit ram preview it starts the video all the way from the beginning.

Window --> Preview, enable the "From current time" option

yet it still takes time to render the ram preview (with no effects on it yet).

There is no magic button. If it is compressed, naturally it needs to be decompressed and decoded first. This can consume resources even on fast machines. Furthermore, drive speed matters a lot in such cases. This might actualyl multiply, if you use multiprocessing, so for this kind of simple setup it's usually better to not use it. If your harddrives are fragmented or simply generally slow, frames cannot be loaded as fast and neither will AE be able to use the disk cache. Ergo, convert the footage and move it to the fastest drive in your system.

what do you guys do to get around this?

We preview at reduced compo resolution to extend RAM previews and place markers while the RAM preview plays using the * key on the numpad.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to DigitalSoju

It doesn't sound like you're taking advantage of AE's ability to scrub audio:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb916558 66c1103906c6dea-7ec9a.html

You'll find the instructions a little way down the page.

Turning on the Caps Lock key is especially handy: the video doesn't update, and scrubbing becomes MUCH easier.  When you find the right place on the audio layer, you can highlight it and hit the * key (numeric keypad) to add a marker.  Double-clicking on the marker lets you add text notations.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 7:09 PM   in reply to DigitalSoju

You might get a better instantaneous RAM preview if you were to disable the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously checkmark in preferences. This way there is no "set up" wait time before the system starts to render RAM preview. You might want to check that option back on before you do your final output render.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 1:20 AM   in reply to DigitalSoju

Try disabling the "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" option in the Preferences. It will speed up RAM renders as there will be no"set up" time. You will possibly want to re-enable the option before your final output render.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 5:45 AM   in reply to DigitalSoju

No need to RAM preview just to hear audio, use the decimal key on the number pad to play an audio-only preview.

If you want to tag to certain audio events, twirl down the properties for the audio until you see the waveform, and then use that to sync audio and animations.

And if you want the RAM preview to start from your current position, just hit the 'B' key to set your work area start to the playhead, and then RAM previews will begin from that point.

Use ctrl-drag to scrub audio & video. Use ctrl-alt-drag to scrub just audio.

AE has all of the audio functionality of Premiere (plus more), it just behaves in a different way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 5:48 AM   in reply to DigitalSoju

Oh, and if your RAM preview (of video) is taking too long without effects, I would ask what codec it is that you are using for your video.

If it's H.264 you might want to flip it to something else. That codec is absolutely awful to try and work with; it's slow on the decompress in apps like AE.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points