• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

May I extract an audio from video?

New Here ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to extract the audio from a video, but I don't want to import that video to audition. Can I do that?

I am working on Audition CS5.5

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Hey Guys,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but the simple act of opening a video asset will give you this behavior. When a video asset is opened into Audition CS5.5, we automatically split the stream into the video and audio portion.

Yes, this means you have the video stream in your files panel as well but you can simply close it or ignore it if you won't be needing it.

The audio portion can be edited and saved as a single audio asset just like it could in Audition 3 and earlier.

Please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Longzhilin,

While I haven't tried that, yet, you certainly should be able to split your video clip into separate audio and video within your NLE and then export your audio.

Then, close your NLE and import your audio into Audition.  If you are using Premiere Pro CS 5.5, you might be able to export your audio directly into Audition via Adobe Dynamic Link, or some other method, but I haven't seen the newest Premiere Pro, yet.

Perhaps, someone else can comment, too.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... With AA4 in its present incarnation, doing this outside the CS suite doesn't appear to be possible at all. There is no 'extract audio from video' facility in either EV or MV, and it's not available as an import option as far as I can see, so you would have to arrange to do this externally. Or use AA3.0.1, which of course will do this.

The feeling at present seems to be that if you have Audition in the CS, then its actual video handling as such isn't quite as important as it might have been, and I think I'd agree with the principle, at least. But in practice, it's different. There has been feedback from video editors who point out (quite reasonably) that if you are going to do things like voiceover work, or even foley, having the ability to handle the entire job, synched accurately, within the audio editor is indeed a very useful facility. On that basis alone, I would expect this to return at some stage in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a LOT for this indeed revealing post, Steve, because it made me understand things I wasn't able to since the 5.5 demo came out. I had no answer to the question how on earth anyone thought it was possible to do serious audio-for-video work with a program in which the priority of video output is lower than that of clip representation on the timeline (leading to skipping frames, freezing video playback, etc). Now I got the answer: you weren't supposed to. I'm feeling much better now, because this concludes several days of frustration. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but the simple act of opening a video asset will give you this behavior. When a video asset is opened into Audition CS5.5, we automatically split the stream into the video and audio portion.

Yes, this means you have the video stream in your files panel as well but you can simply close it or ignore it if you won't be needing it.

The audio portion can be edited and saved as a single audio asset just like it could in Audition 3 and earlier.

Please let me know if I misunderstood the purpose here.

Thanks,

--Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works with .avi files, but, as with AA3, when you try with a.mpeg file it fails - you get a warning about missing codecs?

I was hoping that several years down the linefrom AA3, you would be able to import an HDV mpeg into AA5.5 and edit the audio track.  The snag with using the "Open in AA" from the Premiere timeline is that you can only edit that portion of the clip that is used on the timeline.  I often wish to edit the audio from the entire clip, and have to user a workaround to get there.

For me this is a deal-breaker for AA5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron's right of course - I'd forgotten that you could do that with an .avi. Part of the reason is that it's not blatently obvious that you can do it! And of course there's the mpeg problem, which I had encountered too a while back - probably why I'd ignored the .avi possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click on one or more video files in your Premiere Pro CS 5.5 Project panel bin and choose Edit in Adobe Audition > Clip.  Premiere will extract the audio and send them to Audition for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the distinct impression that the OP isn't using the whole of the CS, just Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

_durin_ wrote:

Right-click on one or more video files in your Premiere Pro CS 5.5 Project panel bin and choose Edit in Adobe Audition > Clip.  Premiere will extract the audio and send them to Audition for editing.

Yes, I have used that method since way back to the appearance of CS2, but as I said in my post to which you reply, this method only extracts the part of the clip that is used on the timeline.  I often want to extract and edit the audio from the entire clip.

For .avi clips, you can use "Open Audio From Video" on the AA File Menu to import the audio of the entire clip into AA and edit it there.  It would be useful if this functionality could be provided for.mpeg2 clips which are after all, the capture format that Premiere uses for HDV.

At the moment if you use the "Open Audio..." command, mpeg2 files are visible in the dialogue box, but if you try to open one you get an error message - "The selected file is not a supported video file format or the video codec required to open this file was not found."

Message was edited by: Alan Craven Factual error in original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan,

I'm not sure if I understand where you're selecting the "Edit in Audition" command.  If I perform this action on a clip in the timeline, then all that's sent to Audition is the portion of the asset represented by the clip.  But if I right-click the source asset in the Project panel, the Edit in Audition command extracts the full audio stream from the file.  Are you not seeing this behavior in CS 5.5?

Thanks,

Durin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just realised that because I have AA3 on my system as well as AA5.5 trial, "Edit in Adobe Audition" in Premiere 5.03 is sending the extracted audio to AA3 for editing.

With AA3, I only get the portion of the clip that is on the timeline extracted to audition whether I right click on the clip in the Project Panel or select the clip and use the "Edit..." command in the Edit Menu.

I cannot find a way of sending the clip to AA5.5 on this system.  I do not want to remove AA3, so I will install the AA5.5 trial on my laptop where I do not havve AA3 and see what happens there.

Note that I am still using PPro 5 on both systems.

You are clearly saying that the extraction process to edit in Audition is different now.  Is this difference down to AA5.5 or PPro 5.5?

I have looked at the video about this on the Audition web site and I see there that there is a choice of extracting just a clip or the entire sequence.  I do not see that with my present set-up where I have PPro 5.03, AA3.1 and AA5.5.  This difference must be in Premiere, I think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan,

Try installing the trial of Premiere CS 5.5 on your system and see if you still have your problem.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, any new integration with Audition CS 5.5 will require Premiere Pro CS 5.5.  If Audition is the default application for certain audio file types, then Premiere 5.0 will be able to utilize it for standard editing via the Edit Original command, but you will not get the Edit Clip/Sequence options and Premiere will not have the ability to send multiple FILES to Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, It had occurred to me since my last post that this must be a feature of Premiere, as the source of the command, than a feature of Audition.  I have installed AA5.5 alongside PPro5.03 on my laptop, and as Durin says the only integration I get is Edit original.  Edit in Adobe Audition is greyed out in both places.

I think I will leave it there, as I am not going to buy CS5.5 having only just bought CS5.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was puzzled by a similar problem.

I just installed the CS5.5 Master Collection on Mac and started exploring.

In Soundbooth (CS5), I can import the 5.1 audio from an AVCHD file directly.

In Audition (CS5.5), this doesn't appear to be possible.

Do I have to import the AVCHD file into Premiere first and then ship the audio over to Audition? Or am I missing some trick that would let me open the audio directly in Audition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Thank you for your reply. I understand this function I think.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please note that this thread is more than 5 years old and both Audition's video capabilities and the ability to interchange files with Premiere Pro and AME are greatly changed.  I'd suggest than any future video questions start their own new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines