• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player won't save any Website Storage

New Here ,
May 14, 2011 May 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been having some problems with the flash settings so I uninstalled both the Flash player and the Shockwave player then reinstalled.

But after reinstalling them the Flash player won't save any data after firefox is closed. The only data the Website Storage Settings panel is
showing is stuff from websites I have gone on since reopening my browser. So its empty whenever I restart firefox.

How can I reset the settings? Thanks for any help!

I currently have Flash Player 10.3 on a Windows 7 comp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

I forgot to mention: regarding website storage settings staying at "None":

Did you click one of the sites in the visited site list?  Until you do that, that slider isn’t controlling anything.  When the swf loads, the default state is for no site to be selected.

When you click a site, the slider changes to the value for that site.  At that point changing the slider changes the value for the selected site.

Thanks,

Stephen

Flash Player team

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 14, 2011 May 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after trying a number of things I'm still having the same problem.

Reinstallling the Flash Player didn't work.

Reinstalling Firefox didn't work.

Deleting the flash player folder in Windows Explorer didn't work.

But I did notice something that may be part of the problem...at my Website Storage Settings panel for the Flash Player I see that the bar refuses to stay at any setting other then "None". The "never ask again" box is unchecked and I can slide the bar over to  100 KB which is where I want it but as soon as I leave that page it resets back to "None". I also spotted that the button that says "Delete website" is darker. I am wondering if the button is permanently stuck on delete. The other button for "Delete all websites" is light gray.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orea, Sorry I couldn't get back to you last night on your thread. The Forum was almost not usable due to the spamming of the many threads.

I see you are using Win7 and Flash Player 10.3. What browser version are you using?

There have been some changes with the latest FP 10.3.181.14 and that's what I want to let you know about. Also if you are using IE9, they have made changes as well.

Let me know when you can and I'll keep in mind what you have already posted on the other thread.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. I saw the spam too and sort of abandon the forums for awhile myself. I hated to see that.  Flash Player is really a great program and there are just too many complexities for any program to work perfectly in all systems all of the time.

As far as the info you asked, I use FireFox 4.0.1

I think I chose the correct Flash Player version for me... I did try to chose the one for "Windows - Other Browsers"

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Please  uncheck the checkbox in your browser to delete cookies upon exit.  Starting with 10.3, Flash Player has implemented the Flash Player LSO  clearing feature to remove Flash LSOs (sometimes mistakenly called Flash  cookies) from the browser context. Therefore, if this checkbox is  checked, your Flash Player LSOs (saved games, saved logins) will be  deleted as well.

More info on this feature can be found here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/901/cpsid_90194.html#main_lso

Thanks,

Stephen

Flash Player team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orea, Thanks. I just posted this to the OP on that other site and am going to give you the same info. Now the part about IE9 and Compatibility view won't apply to you unless you would decide to install IE9. All of the other info does tho. A lot of changes with this FP latest update. I knew about them when you did and have been trying to read all of the info:-)

In addition to Security updates in this 10.3.181.14, there is included a Flash Settings Panel Manager.

Users now have a simpler way to clear local storage from the browser settings interface – similar to how users clear their browser cookies today. Flash Player 10.3 integrates control of local storage with the browser’s privacy settings in Mozilla Firefox 4, Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and higher, Google Chrome 11 (Available in Chrome Dev Channel), and a future release of Apple Safari.

Flash Player 10.3 provides users with streamlined controls for managing their Flash Player privacy, security and storage settings. Windows, Mac, and Linux users can access the Flash Player Settings Manager directly from the Control Panels or System Preferences on their computers.

When you open the Flash Player icon from the Control Panel, be sure to check each Tab (Storage, etc)

Also under the tab Storage you will find the info on Private Browsing, so be sure to read this info in case you use that.

Let me know if this works; if not then maybe something else needs to be done.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

FOR IE9 

Now one other thing, is that not all websites recognize IE9 yet. So you may need to use the Compatibility Mode for those.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/fea tures

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I'd seen the Flash Player Settings Manager in the update. I just checked again and all my settings for the Flash Player Settings Manager (found in the control panel in my "Start" menu) are set to "Allow" or to "Ask me...". None of my settings for the Flash Player are set to block, either in the one found online (any of the 8 tab options) or the one found in the "Control Panel" (any of the 4 tab options) section of my computer.

The only thing set at "None" is the Website Storage Settings and that just refuses to stay at any setting other then the "None". No matter how many times I slide it over to 100KB or 1MB or 10MB. I slide it over then click another tab then go back and its right back at the "None". I should note that the small box below for "Never Ask Again" is empty.

My FireFox settings do allow cookies, I tried turning off my AdBlocker, I am not using Private Browsing. My FireFox is set up to delete the cookies when I close the browser but not before. I prefer to not store regular cookies indefinitely unlike the Flash type cookies. I tried changing the FireFox settings for that but it seems that Flash Player is still doing its reverting back to "None" trick.

Any other ideas? And thanks so much again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi OreaTivona,

Please unselect the option to delete cookies when closing the browser. This will otherwise delete your Flash "cookies" (the correct term is LSO - Local Shared Objects) when you close your browser. As mentioned earlier, this is new in Flash Player 10.3. The Flash Player is now more tightly integrated with browsers due to privacy concerns. This has the effect that if you choose to delete cookies (either manually or on exit of the browser), these LSOs will be removed along with the regular browser cookies.

Thanks,

Stephen

Flash Player team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention: regarding website storage settings staying at "None":

Did you click one of the sites in the visited site list?  Until you do that, that slider isn’t controlling anything.  When the swf loads, the default state is for no site to be selected.

When you click a site, the slider changes to the value for that site.  At that point changing the slider changes the value for the selected site.

Thanks,

Stephen

Flash Player team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for your post. I finally got it working correctly and its keeping its LSO. I had tried unclicking it before but with no change, so I had reclicked the box. After a restart of my comp after unselecting it again, it is working. Not really sure why but as long as it worked I'm happy.

One thing for any one else with this problem...if at first ye don't succeed try restarting your comp after unselecting the "Clear history when FireFox closes".

Thanks again for everyones help! I'd still be banging my head against a 'cookie-less' wall if it wern't for all of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last thing to note before I go is that while the Flash Player is now keeping its LSOs the Flash Players "Website Storage Settings panel"  does still reset itself at "None"... It keeps the info when I close the browser or log off but when I come back the slider is back at the "None"... seems a bit odd but it works. Just thought I should mention it incase someone else gets confused by that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi OreaTivona,

Maybe you missed my earlier post since I posted twice in rather fast succession. The second post will explain why the slider remains at "None".

Thanks,

Stephen

Flash Player team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Apparently I had missed your second post, or clicked respond before your second post went through. I had tried clicking a website and sliding the bar before when I had the FireFox box clicked, and it wouldn't stay, and I thought it seemed to be doing the same thing. I just rechecked and I see now its working as you describe. Sort of confusing for me going back and forth, and trying to keep everything straight.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orea, I'm going to take a look at the Website Storage Setting and see how it may be related with the Flash Player Settings Manager. I think you have everything set correctly with the FPSM and everything is working except the Website Storage Setting. I wonder if another Setting is conflicting with it. I'll do some checking.

Which browser are you using to set the Website Storage Setting Panel?

Now the FF/IE cookies that can be deleted thru the browser would be the ones that FF would delete when closing the browser, and not the LSO cookies that you want saved. That's my opinion.

Before this FP update with the FPSM, I would delete the LSO's individually that had been picked up. I left some that I wanted to keep. I didn't necessarily use the Settings Panel to delete the websites, although I have before. I just deleted the LSO cookies.

I'm sure more are there now, but haven't had time to check.

On the Website Storage Settings Panel, do you have listed the websites that you want to keep? For example I have adobe.com listed and I just clicked on it and then could increase the amount of storage with the slider bar. Now whether I would need to reboot or not, I don't know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I had been using FireFox to do set the "Website Storage Settings panel" all along.

Apparently the FireFox setting for the Clear cookies when FF closes was the issue. But the slider in the "Website Storage panel" should stay where I put it if its going to behave and save the LSO...and revert its self to "None" only if its going to be obstinate and not keep the LSO...just my opinion. The Website Storage panel doesn't seem to agree with me but as long as its working I guess...

I used to go to the Flash Player's strage panel and manually delete the LSO cookies every now and then before this up date myself, just as you describe yourself.

And yes I do have websites I like to keep. That was major factor as far as me wanting to fix this. Flash Player needs to save my data for certain sites, ie. Shockwave.com. The oddest part after finding it 'fixed' is that when I delete a website then close the browser and go there again then close the browser the one that I chose to delete the first time around is  re-deleted.  Not sure if I explained that well.  I am thinking that that means that the ones I chose to keep may be the only ones that stay after closing the browser? Not sure, anyway I'll be keeping an eye on it and see how it works.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orea, Now I'm more confused. From what Stephen said(I'll have to read it again) it sounds like when deleting regular cookies that the browser keeps now removes the LSO's that Flash Player keeps? I must be missing something since that wouldn't make sense.

When you had FF set to delete cookies on closing the browser, I understood that to be for the browser cookies and not the LSO.

I thot the Flash Player Settings Manager only applied to the LSO Flash Cookies.

You said:

The oddest part after finding it 'fixed' is that when I delete a website then close the browser and go there again then close the browser the one that I chose to delete the first time around is  re-deleted.

Did you mean to say "re-deleted"? Ha-Ha, I'm getting dizzy.

Anyway, whatever you did that fixed the issue, that's good!!

Also did you see the post#9? that explained the "none"?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

lol, I think we're both a bit dizzy trying to figure out this one.

What I can tell you is that Firefox has 2 ways to delete all cookies automatically upon exiting...both in the "Privacy" tab. One is to click the Keep until:(...) button and chose "I close Firefox" the other is a small box below that the you can check that is for "Clear history when Firefox closes". For this fix I needed to have the Button at "I close Firefox" and the box below unchecked.

Apparently the button and the box while stating they are doing basically what appears to be the same thing actually are a little different. History versus cookies is the key and I hadn't been paying attention. The box for "Clear history when Firefox closes"  also deletes the LSO for the Flash Player. While the other is just for regular internet cookies. I am still not sure why the first time I unclicked it it didn't work and the second time after a reboot it did.

As far as the Flash Player Settings Manager and the bar still going back to "None", I had thought that it would have a main setting that I would put it at and have it stay. Turns out that you don't have a 'main setting' just a setting for each and every website in the list. Not really sure how the manager chooses its setting for a website before you choose the limit for that particular website. And yes post #9 did make sense in that regard.

And yes I did mean to say re-deleted. lol I still am wondering about that part myself...perhaps the Flash Player remembers that I deleted a certain site then sort of marks it for removal? I really have no idea on that part...or possibably the ones that deleted had an expiration date of closing? That also could explain it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orea, You said:

The box for "Clear history when Firefox closes"  also deletes the LSO for the Flash Player. While the other is just for regular internet cookies. I am still not sure why the first time I unclicked it it didn't work and the second time after a reboot it did.

Is this something new in FF? My Dtr uses FF and has it set to remove everything when closing the browser including History, but the LSO's were still there. In fact when I did some research and found the FF addon "Better Privacy" she Installed it to remove the LSO's. I just checked FF and that is #4 in their Top Download list, showing 52,965 weekly downloads.

So I don't know, maybe a change has been made.

On the Website Storage Panel, I go to the Global Settings site and have it set to 10KB. Many websites are listed, but all under the 10KB limit that I set. If any site wants more storage they have to ask when I go to their site. So my storage doesn't change unless I change it. It stays at 10KB.

I think these Settings could be made clearer, especially since IE9 and the latest FP have new procedures that effect them.

We'll just have to try to figure it all out, LOL I just hope by that time they don't make another change:-)

Thanks and at least you were able to make some progress.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

My best guess is that its new only in the sense that Flash Player now clumps its LSO in with the Firefox things that delete when the "Clear history when Firefox closes" is checked. The box has been there a long time. So has the button for clearing the cookies. I do have the latest Firefox but I don't think that that really had any bearing on this. As far as the "Better Privacy" addon, I've not heard of it before so I can't really say for sure but I would guess that this Flash Player update may sort of make it a moot point? They (the Flash Player team) might have been thinking of making the update to do the very sort of thing that the addon you discribe does? Like I siad though I am not familar with the "Better Privacy" addon, so I could very easily be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Orea, You know more about FF that I do, as I only used it for a short time. I was wondering about the "Better Privacy" too, whether it would no longer be needed. Not sure, since perhaps the older versions of FF might have a need and those that haven't update to FP 10.3.

I'm checking out how IE8 is effected and doing some experimenting:-) If I find out anything "earth shaking", I'll let you know!

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines