Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Make "step backward" command maintain current layer selection (like the "undo" command's behavior)...

May 29, 2009 4:47 PM

Please make Photoshop's "step backward" command maintain current layer selection (like the "undo" command's behavior). So that when using the "step backward" to undo something it doesn't unnecessarily select a different layer . The current "step backward" layer change issue is inconvenient because it causes unnexpected layer selection change.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2009 7:32 AM   in reply to ghost zero

Yes this request has been made many times. Like here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/438793?tstart=0 and here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/430707?tstart=30 and countless times before.

I hope as PREFERENCE they will consider this again. It unfortunately can't be a change to default behaviour, because existing Actions and workflows will be upset for one thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2009 6:09 PM   in reply to ghost zero

I dont know, but I do seem to remember in 5 or 6 a preference that affected this in some way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 9:04 PM   in reply to ghost zero

It still functions the same as in prior versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 5:57 PM   in reply to ghost zero

Yes, this behavior is really inconvenient.  It's a common cause of me making major edits on the wrong layer, then screaming in exasperation when I realize what it's done.  Arg.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 3:15 PM   in reply to ghost zero

Seems a lot of people have this problem, and someone wrote a script to fix it.

See here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1251347#post1251347

Also, note you need to copy the script in the Photoshop/Presets/Scripts folder for it to show in the Scripts menu. Once it's there, you can assign any keyboard shortcut to it - CTRL+Z of course

Photoschop CS3 and up i think.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 7:51 PM   in reply to Michael Lamy

None of ya'll know how to use the history function, so read the help manual.

It's the same as it ever was and it's not going to change because it works

as intended so learn HOW TO USE IT!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2011 5:03 PM   in reply to i_only_know

I've read the help information, and I'm not sure what you're referring, to, i only know.  Do you believe there's a setting or aspect of the feature that will give people what they're asking for without using this script, or are you saying that people should just be happy with its default behavior?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2011 10:47 PM   in reply to ghost zero

Has this happened yet ( an upgrade that fixes the step back layer switch problem ) in any updates?

Arghhh very annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2011 8:47 PM   in reply to ghost zero

There never will be an update, so get over it!

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 11:19 PM   in reply to ghost zero

yes, worth a second look into it. but the gurus might have reasons we don't know about.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 6:11 AM   in reply to ghost zero

This thing bugs me too!

If I understand correctly, right now Step Backward doesn't work the way we want to because the action 'select layer' doesn't record in History and Step Backwards works with History.

But! History Options panel contains check box 'Make Layer Visibility Changes Undoable': checking it on will force history to record layer visibility changes.

So why can't Adobe make a same check box for Layer Select? So all of the old actions/references/whatever would work fine, but those who care about undoable layer select could turn this option on?

Sergey.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points