Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Saving Projects with Warp Stabilized Footage takes Forever

May 18, 2011 9:08 AM

Hi,

1)

I have 8 comps in my project all enjoying the wonderful stabilization of Warp Stabilizer.

When I save the project - it takes 10 minutes. Removing all the Warp Stabilizers from the footage it takes 1 second.

2)

Having done all my work in the 8 comps all having Warpy applied to them then dragging the comps over to Adobe Media Encoder for rendering takes about 20 minutes.

Removing Warp Stabilizer from the Comps and repeating above takes 1 minute.

I think that warp stabilizer is great but then workflow slowness hit is devastating.

Is all this normal behavior ?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2011 10:23 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

What are your Memory & Multiprocessor preference settings?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 10:31 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Also, what are the characteristics of your compositions---most importantly, duration and frame dimensions?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 11:15 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

Such a long save may be abnormal, but you should know that ALL of the tracking information and settings for each piece of stabilized footage is saved in the effects themselves: no keyframes to speak of, but tons of data. 

I'll bet you would find that there is HUGE difference in project file size between a project with stabilized footage and and identical project with no stabilization.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 12:33 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

AtonMusic wrote:

THe project is about 3MB without Warpy and 125 with it...

Still saving a 125 MB should not take so long!

To me, that's a HUGE difference between 3 and 125! 

And I think I might have an explanation for some of your slowness.

You previously wrote, " Memory installed = 32Gb / 28GB  set for other apps (No other apps are running)"

...which would be 4GB of memory allocated to AE.

You also wrote, "Processors enabled = 4 CPUs with 2GB Per CPU assigned"

...ah, but 4 x 2GB = 8GB! 

Are you unnecessarily forcing AE to use disk caching?

I would think you easily could allocate 16 GB to AE, and 4GB to each processor AE uses.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 3:31 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I'm not talking about the encoding, I'm talking about your sluggish saving woes within AE itself.  I thought that was the real problem.

I think you need to adjust AE's processor and memory allocations; they don't look right, and I think that at their current settings, you're forcing AE to do disk caching to run on the amount of memory you have allocated to it... which I think is causing the slow save times.

Have you tried the recommended settings outlined here before?

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memo ry-settings-for-after-effects-cs5-and-give-feedback.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 4:12 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

> Sorry.. yeah, the real problem was the save time but I think it is intertwined with Drag n Drop to AME !

They are related. When you process an After Effects composition in AME, a headless version of After Effects starts up and works in the background. It has to load the project and all of the other stuff that After Effects would normally have to do.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 6:38 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Thanks for reporting back. That is useful information for us to isolate what is taking so long. I'll pass this on the the relevant engineers.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    May 19, 2011 11:26 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

Something doesn't seem right here. While it is true that the Warp Stabilizer does significantly increase project size, and cause a certain level of slowdown in project save/load times, ten minutes seems seriously out of line for a 125 MB project. I just constructed a similar project here - over 250 MB in size and it saves in just under a minute.

I'm wondering if something is amiss with your project file. And you are correct, memory and MP settings really have no affect on save /load performance.

Could you possibly email me a copy of your project?

puusital@adobe.com

Thanks!

Paul Uusitalo

After Effects Quality Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 4:07 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Yes, if you create another project that exhibits the same behavior, please let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 7:06 AM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Howdy!

Hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread but I just ran into the same problem.  For me, projects saved in After Effects CS5 usually run around 1 MB; a similar project in a trail version* of AECS5.5 (with Warp Stabilization) recently ran at 61.5 MB.  Seems a bit too extreme, though it does explain why it takes so long to save and open projects.

Rendering CS5.5 is also a time hog.  Each time I hit the preview button I get a series of prompts in the info panel beginning  "Background Process Status, Loading Projects" which takes around 3 minutes to execute, before the very slow rendering process begins. 

Having never used WS before (and I do love it!) I began to layer several affected clips, which resulted in extremely slow rendering times.  Then I rendered the warped-stabilized clips and layered the render clips, but that also resulted in long preview times.

Let me throw this in, too: on several occasions I rendered items in the render queue, waited during the "Saving Project" prompt and 3 minute spinning rainbow wheel, but the result was a QT mov of one only second.  Then I would add the same clip back into the render queue and get the result I wanted.  Perhaps I'm drinking too much coffee, or I just belong to the "I need in done yesterday!" generation, but the whole process seems to be taking a lot more time than it should.

*I am using the trial version.  Is this something that gets cleared up when I install the full version?  I am awaiting it's arrival as we speak.

Here's my particluars:

MacPro3,1 running Snow Leopard (10.6.8)

Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Dual processor (3GHz)

Total Number Of Cores: 8

16 GB RAM

Using a chart generated for an Adobe article by Todd, my memory and multiprocessing settings are as follows:
    Memory: 6GB for other apps
    MP: 3GB RAM allocation per background CPU
           Installed CPUs: 8
           Actual CPUs that will be used: 2
           CPUs reserved for other apps: 4
    Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 5:40 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

Hello all

may i add some Bits to this discussion.

i have recently upgraded, camera to nikon d5100 and up to CS5.5 and have been amazed at the power of warp stabilize, especially for extreme and almost abstarct use (when invoking the synthasize function).  yet as with Aton asbove i have quickly manged to get mega and unweildy file sizes once ws has been added. when i queue a whole bunch of clips, 20 plus i have had 20 30 minute save times. as i wanted to process the whole project this work flow should not be an issues, yet it quickluy becomes unworkable.

also i seem to have run into a killer issues in which render queues will fail or are perhaps becoming corrupted.

i have taken a particular clipthat has failed and put it into its own project, applied the same adjustments and WS and rendered the proect seemlessly. yet when isolating the same file in the 20 plus render queue it fails once again.

i guess i can work around this by more or less treating each clip individually, but with  shoots that have dozens of smallish clips this too is unweildy.

im guessing there has to be a better way of storing the WS information than in the project file in its current format, such long save times are obviously unstable i various ways.

any further discussion on this would be most welcome.

best best

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Ken Bit

Save Project.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Mr. Zogg

Mr. Zogg wrote:

Save Project.jpg

That's too bad.  Perhaps you might help us help you:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

Nope Dave, that doesn't help a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Mr. Zogg

Can you give some specific details as to your Project, System, other processes running, etc.?

Not too much to go on here with just a screen shot.

Thanks!

Paul Uusitalo

After Effects Quality Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Mr. Zogg

Mr. Zogg wrote:

Nope Dave, that doesn't help a bit.

Sorry to hear that you don't find it useful to follow a link to a post by Adobe's Todd Kopriva entitled, "What Information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

Yours must be a profound problem indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

I've had this problem for over a year now, but now I am starting to stabilize GoPro3 4K footage in AE CS5.5 and saves are taking SOOOO Long !

has there been any fixes ? I don't care about the render times but the saves are killing me. I can't upgrade to CS6 due to work limitations.

CS 5.5

Mac OS 10.6.8

Model Name:    Mac Pro

Model Identifier:    MacPro4,1

Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:    2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors:    2

Total Number Of Cores:    8

L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB

L3 Cache (per processor):    8 MB

Memory:    12 GB

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to mikeo55555

How many frames are you stabilizing in a given project?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Why not render the stabilized footage? I never leave stabilized footage in a comp. I don't see the point.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points