Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

adobe flash player installer uninstaller 10.3 r181 has stopped working

May 18, 2011 6:16 AM

I have a Vista 32 machine. Have tried installing, unstalling, rebooting, and over and over untill the cows came home. Totally frustrated.

This litte error message is NOT VERY DESCRIPTIVE.

Help

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, What browsers/versions do you have Installed? I'm not clear on whether you have FP Installed and it's not working or whether you are having an Uninstall/Install problem.

The latest Flash Player version is 10.3.181.14.

Using each browser, go to this test site and let me know if you can see the Flash Player logo(Red F) animate(spin). Also what version of Flash Player is displayed?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 9:44 AM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, thanks. Before you do anything else, go to Tools, Manage addons. Under "Show"(light text) look in those categories for Shockwave Flash Object. Is that Installed and Enabled?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 10:10 AM   in reply to dbrander

Thanks. We can try to Uninstall/Install again. However, if you've had any malware issues, then those should be taken care of first. If not, then proceed with this procedure. After you close all browser windows, you'll be offline and then will disable all Anti-Virus programs.

Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Uninstaller:
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html 
    Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Installer for IE- use the EXE Installer
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html
    Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Installer for FF- use the EXE Installer for plugin based (from the same site)
    Close all browser windows, you only want to be looking at your Desktop.
    Disable any messenger services, as yahoo, msn, etc in the system tray(area near the clock)

Disable all Anti-Virus Programs

Be sure to use the Administrator Account.

Run the Uninstaller and when finished, Reboot(restart) your computer.
    Check to make sure the Anti-Virus is still Disabled
    Run the Installer for IE, Run the Installer for FF and when finished, Reboot.

Then go to this test site and test each browser:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

You may want to print these instructions to make it easier to follow. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Before going back online, re-enable your Anti-Virus programs.

Message was edited by: eidnolb   add'l info

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 11:28 AM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, Since you are using IE9, have you checked the ActiveX Filtering?

To turn on ActiveX Filtering
    In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on a specific website
    In Internet Explorer, click the Filter button in the Address bar, and then click Turn off ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on all websites
    In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

Let me know on that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 11:53 AM   in reply to dbrander

Ok. Well if ActiveX Controls were blocked it would, since the FP Installer Installs that ActiveX Control into the browser for IE.

You may want to check and see if you have a Kill-bit set.

open the registry editor: Start | Run | type regedit.exe
    navigate to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    if that key does not exist, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player is not set
    if it contains a DWORD entry with the name Compatibility Flags that has any value other than 0x00000000, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player may be set

Read this carefully. You are just looking for this information. Don't do any changing or anything but look.

Have you had any Virus/Malware issues? If so, depending on where they Installed would have an effect.

Also if you could explain what exactly happens. Does the Uninstall go ok? When you run the Installer, does it just stop? Do you receive an error message from Adobe ?  I'm trying to understand where the error is coming from.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 12:31 PM   in reply to dbrander

It doesn't appear you have a Kill-bit set since the compatibility flag value is ok. So we can rule that out.

Something is blocking/stopping the Installer and that's what I'm trying to determine.

Before you followed the Uninstall/Install links I posted, did you use the Adobe website that used the DLM(download manager)?

Take a look in the Control Panel/Programs & Features and see if that Adobe DLM is listed or a getplus.

When you say "add in installer" are you speaking of the manual Install using the FP Installer link saved to the Desktop that I linked to?

Now Norton and McAfee can and do block the FP Installer. When Norton is Disabled and after the Uninstaller is run, upon that first reboot and prior to running the Installer, Norton will re-enable itself. That's why I had check to make sure any Anti-Virus was still Disabled. This is how I suggest Disabling Norton. Did you do it this way?

Right Click and Open Norton. Turn off Smart Firewall and Auto Protect

Under Miscellaneous Settings, Disable Norton Product Tamper Protection

1- Open IE 8. Goto Tools -> Manage Add-ons.

2- Disable the following:

-Norton Toolbar

-Symantec NCO BHO

-Symantec Intrusion Prevention (IPS)

Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Right click on Flash and post back all files listed. The files NPSWF will need to be right clicked on and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 3:09 PM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, The reason I posted the procedure to Uninstall and Install Flash Player was so that you would use the links I provided.

I didn't know you repeated the procedure that you had used that didn't work.

(

When  you say "add in installer" are you speaking of the manual Install using  the FP Installer link saved to the Desktop that I linked to?

I clicked on one of the many buttons or messages in the browser (usually Fire Fox) that say additional plugin/click here to download/Install missing plugin)

On McAfee if you have that Anti-Virus Installed also, it may have come pre-installed with your computer. Only one Anti-Virus program should be on a computer, otherwise they conflict with each other and cause you PC to be unstable. So one needs Uninstalled and then use the Removal Tool to make sure a clean Uninstall is obtained.

I don't need the Install log. The Flash Files that are listed have a name, as : Flash10q.ocx, etc. That's all I need. The NPSWF files, as I stated need to be right clicked and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 4:07 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hello

I have exactly the same problem. My system is Win 7 x64 with IE9. Only IE9, I don't have other browsers. Also, no IM, no antivirus, no antimalware, nothing.

I had FP 10.2 installed with no problems before. Then I tried to install 10.3. Usually, I uninstall the version I have and download the manual installer for the new version. I did this many many times without no problems.

This time, when I start the exe of the manual installer, I saw the disk starting a lot of activity. But nothing appear on screen. So I checked with Process Explorer, and see that the installer process continuously create new process with the same name, and then terminate itself. The new process repeat this, and after this loop has gone some hundred (yes, hundred) times, I see the message "adobe flash player installer uninstaller 10.3 r181 has stopped working" (actually in italian, as my Win7 is in italian).

I tried everything: used the manual uninstaller (that runs fine), cleared the flash dir under c:\users, cleared the macromed\flash dirs under c:\windows (both system32 and SysWOW64), cleared all the Flash things I found in the registry. Nothing seems to work.

In the log installation file, there is nothing useful (sorry I deleted that file). After each installation tentative, that file was some MB big, and there are only 2 lines repeating hundred of times.

I tried the same installer on an XP machine, and it installed perfectly. So the installer is not corrupted.

At last, I tried to reinstall FP 10.2 on the same Win7 machine (again using the manual installer), and it installed with no problems and is functioning perfectly.

I think there is some issue with the installer of 10.3, perhaps related to the new control panel.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 4:31 PM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, ok. I thot you used the other method. I'm concerned about that McAfee addon in the browser. Do you know how it got there?

Where exactly is it listed? Do you think it was Installed from one of the other methods you used to Install FP? Can you go to Start, All Programs and see if there is any listing for McAfee there? A Security Plus or something similiar? Is there any McAfee icon in the system tray? Anything else that uses Flash in the system tray other than any instant messenger service which you would have disabled when Installing?

In the C: location there should have been several Flash files for IE and several for FF(which then would be used by your other non-IE browsers as well)

If none were listed, then we know the Uninstaller worked:-)

I'll read your next message.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb  sp

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 4:42 PM   in reply to dbrander

Yes you are getting good at posting screenshots:-) I don't use IE9 so am going by info I've researched.

Each time Microsoft comes out with a new IE, they make it more complicated. I understand that when you now use IE9 to download/install any software, you have to choose to save the download where they have "allowed" you to.

So let me get that info. That is most likely the issue. If you didn't Save the download to a place you selected, then I think it goes where they have decided, default perhaps?

When you tried to save the FP Installer, were you given a choice to where to save it?

Will get that info.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 6:16 PM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, I think if you just have the McAfee Site Advisor then that would monitor the browser and advise whether a site is safe or not. You don't have to remove it, but just in case it may interfere with the Install, you could disable it. However, take a look at this IE info on the new Download Manager in IE9. It is quite involved and I think this may be the problem you are having. Not a problem per se, just understanding how this works since it is very different than any IE versions before.

I had used Firefox at one time and downloaded something and wasn't familiar with FF and couldn't find the software!! Finally I found out that FF downloaded it to a location I wasn't aware of. This IE Download Manager sounds like it may be similar.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/fea tures/download-manager

On the C: location, you may not have any Flash files Installed at all. When you go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

When you get to the Flash (folder) in the same place you found the Install log, were there any Flash10q.ocx or FlashUtil10q_Activex.exe just listed there as the Install.log is listed. You don't open those as you did the Install.log, but were they listed there?

I agree God knows, and Microsoft also:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 7:11 PM   in reply to dbrander

From the FlashInstall.log file it appears as if the installer is unable to write anything into the destination folder.

I suggest that you delete both the

• Flash folder under C:\Windows\system32\Macromed
    • Macromed folder under C:\Windows\system32

then try the installation again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to dbrander

Please try right clicking on the installer an choose "Run as Administrator".

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 2:55 PM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, Too bad that Windows couldn't identify what the problem was!! I don't recall ever seeing an error message like that. The issues with IE9 and the new Flash Player update involve issues after Installing but not before; other than some of the normal things we have covered.

This could be a Registry Issue or malware that Norton has not picked up on. There is a procedure that Microsoft uses for correcting Registry Issues but it is somewhat technical. If Pat comes back on the Forum tonight he may have some advice regarding using that.

What I would suggest now, is go to www.malwarebytes.org and download and SAVE the Free Version to your Desktop. This is not an Installed program per se as Norton and others. It's a Standalone and run from your Desktop. After it's on your Desktop, click on the Update feature and allow it to update. Then minimize the window.

Then close all browser windows and Disable all of Norton. Then with MBAM(malwarebytes), use the Scanner feature and run a full Scan. This will take about 30+ minutes depending on your system. If any malware is found, follow the instructions to remove it. MBAM keeps a log automatically.

Let me know  the results.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Oh, if you had not been using the Administrator Account you most likely would have received an error message from Adobe instead of Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 3:48 PM   in reply to dbrander

Is UAC enabled or disabled?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 5:45 PM   in reply to dbrander

It is very unfortunate that the installer does not tell us what exactly happened.

You seem to do well technically; could you try the installation again while watching it with Process Monitor?

After installing PM, you would basically do this:

• start the FP installer
    • when it pauses at the first prompt, start PM
    • filter anything else but the FP installer
    • continue the FP installation

PM will then tell you everything it encounters, registry problems, file problems.

Please tell us what you find.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 8:39 AM   in reply to dbrander

Hi dbrander, That is a lot of junk, LOL Cleaning Temp files/cookies etc is something I thot everyone did:-) I've never had to use that procedure but know of it. Pat has the Computer background so he'll be able to tell you about the Filtering and also what that NAME COLLISION means. To me it sounds like a system issue, but Pat will know.

Maybe I should run it on my computer and who knows what would be found. No Temp file issues since I clean those at least once a day:-)

So, were you finally able to Install Flash Player????

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 9:39 AM   in reply to dbrander

Hi, When you are on the computer as much as I am, cleaning the Temp files is very easy. It doesn't take but 30 seconds, since I don't have 25GB worth:-) The reason I do that is Security. Malware likes to hide in there and then move on somewhere else!

Laughing at your sock drawer! That should be easy unless you have 25GB's worth, LOL

You may want to keep MBAM on your Desktop & keep it updated. You'd need to disable that Norton tho so Norton won't interfere.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi, I have a similar, but different problem with the same error mssg as the Original Poster.

Error mssg appears when trying to install software for a Vivitar digital video recorder.  Am running a windows 7 PC with FF being browser of choice.  Have checked for malware and MBAM finds nothing.  I had the latest version of adobe flash installed - 11.1.... so uninstalled Flash and still got same error mssg.  Vivitar responded to my email with a link to download the software, assuming I had a corrupt CD - no change. 

If you're able to help I'd really appreciate any suggestions as currently my son can't use the software supplied with his camera

I clicked on 'more details' in the error pop up mssg and saw the following - hope it's of some use/makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    adobe_flash.exe

Application Version:    10.3.183.10

Application Timestamp:    4e76437d

Fault Module Name:    adobe_flash.exe

Fault Module Version:    10.3.183.10

Fault Module Timestamp:    4e76437d

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    000022ef

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:    2057

Additional Information 1:    0a9e

Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:    0a9e

Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Scoobs1

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to jpfeif

Thanks for prompt reply.

No joy with the 64bit version, same (I think) error mssg.  Another pop-up

informed me my version of FlashX was outdated.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    adobe_flash.exe

Application Version:    10.3.183.10

Application Timestamp:    4e76437d

Fault Module Name:    adobe_flash.exe

Fault Module Version:    10.3.183.10

Fault Module Timestamp:    4e76437d

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    000022ef

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:    2057

Additional Information 1:    0a9e

Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:    0a9e

Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy

statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Scoobs1

What files are in folders Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Scoobs1

Hi Scoobs,

For clarity, did you run the updated Flash Player installer that I pointed you to (without error) and then re-run the Vivitar installer (with the same error + the additional pop up message)?

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 12:59 AM   in reply to jpfeif

Hi Carl and John - thanks for replies both - apologies for not getting back sooner - hectic week!

I can;t seem to find the folder you've pointed me to Carl.  Am not too techy, so perhaps not too surprising!

Just checked which version of flash I have installed and it is:  11.1.102.55 for: Windows 7 (64-bit).

John, I did click on the link you pointed me to - this was after uninstalling the Vivitar software and upon reinstall I got those 2 errors/pop-ups.

Have checked malware/viruses using MBAM and AVG - I read upthread this could be causing issues, nothing found...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points