Skip navigation
cocteau3
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to purchase a used, deactivated copy of creative suite cs3 from a seller?

May 18, 2011 6:12 PM

Hi folks, I am shopping on eBay for computer related items, and I see many people are selling used copies of Adobe Creative Suite CS3 for example. Is it legal, and possible to purchase a used copy if the seller properly "deactivates" the software? Or is this only for his/her use on a second computer? My guess is that the deactivation feature allows the original purchaser only to use the software on a second, new computer . . . and not intended for the original purchaser to SELL the software to a new person . . . I'd love to be able to buy a copy used, but is this possible? Most versions are Educational versions too, in case this makes a difference. Help anyone? These sellers don't seem to have a clue about it other than to say they are "deactivating" the software and it will ask "me" for a serial number off the box. I think registration and installation utilize the internet and keeps track of the name of the original purchaser?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2011 6:22 PM   in reply to cocteau3

It is legal to sell a used copy of the Adobe Creative Suite if (1) it is neither an student/academic nor a NFR copy, (2) it is not currently activated on any computers, (3) it wasn't already used as the basis for an upgrade, and (4) the current owner of the license is willing to fill out a transfer of ownership form and file it with Adobe.

That having been said, much if not most Adobe software that appears on eBay or similar outlets (such as Craigslist) is either (a) counterfeit/pirated software, (b) illegal attempts to "unbundle" volume-licensed software sold to a large enterprise for use only by its members, or (b) ineligible for legal transfer per the the four points above.

Let the buyer beware!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 2:15 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Strongly linked to the original post, my question is: to how many computers could an owner install his/her CS3 Master Collection S/T Ed originally? The same as per later versions, i.e. two? One desktop and one laptop provided the two systems do not run simultaneously?

If so, in case I am unable to install my acquired second-hand CS3 onto my laptop, what does it mean? The original owner might still use it on one of his/her systems?

I suspect I made a mistake, the question is how to resolve it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 5:45 AM   in reply to alhayoth

Original owner? Of a student/teacher edition?

The EULA for that is quite clear...it can not be transferred to a new owner. You have an illegal copy installed on your computer.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to cocteau3

A student/teacher version CANNOT be transferred.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 10:31 AM   in reply to cocteau3

This problem is exactly why purchasing “used” software on eBay is so risky!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 6:46 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob,

That's why I said I made a mistake - the question is how I can resolve.

NOW I know I should've read this forum PRIOR TO making any risky business on eBay BUT the damage is done and I really want to resolve any matters, legal or illegal, connected with this purchase. Your answer prompts some repercussions towards the seller as well, however, this is an Adobe forum so I keep eBay-related questions aside.

Still, knowing that a S/T edition cannot be transferred, my question is: to how many computers can a CS3 be installed? What does EULA of CS3 says?

Thanks,

alhayoth

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 6:49 AM   in reply to alhayoth

You only resolve that through eBay.

As for legality, if you care about such things you will uninstall that software and go after the seller.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Oh, as far as LEGAL copies go, you can install in as many machines as you want, but you can only have two activated at the same time.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 7:14 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I forgot to add: the seller did NOT describe the CS3 as S/T edition. I realized this fact at the very moment I opened the parcel. When making an inquiry about it, he replied I should not make any fuss about, I should go home and make money with the software. I sensed something was, and is, wrong.

What I can do here in the first place is to warn anyone who intends to, or just thinks about to, purchase software packs through on-line channels.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 6:28 PM   in reply to cocteau3

You install then activate.

I'm not going to provide advice on obviously illegal installations.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to cocteau3

"What then is the difference between installation and activation?"

As Bob says, when you install, the software does just that. It installs and takes up space on your hard disk. Activation is a process of the CS software contacting Adobe's (or in the case of Windows and Office, contacting Microsoft's) servers via your broadband connection to make sure you have a legit copy of said program or suite. Checks are made esp the product key. If a pirated copy of Windows, Photoshop, Office etc is using an overused product key, then this key will be eventually blacklisted and blocked.

You can use software without activation. With the likes of Adobe CS and Office you're limited to a period of 30 days effectively a trial, albeit a very expensive one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:55 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Ian,

Helpful information which I wish to take a bit futher and be more specific to my situation. 

I just ordered the upgrade to CS6 Master Collection.  That upgrade eligibility comes from owning CS4 (full purchase) and CS5 (upgrade).  Once the install of CS6 is complete, I intend to transfer ownership of those earlier versions to my two children living out of state, one for each.  I am wondering, after I install the CS6 upgrade and transfer ownership using the forms supplied by Adobe, will I have a problem re-installing my CS6 upgrade on another computer if 1) one of my two computer dies and I buy a new one, or, 2) I have to reinstall my operating system and all software due to corruption problems?  Will Adobe allow me to reinstall the upgrade if I no longer own the CS4/CS5?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this situation.

bakerxxxxx

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Bakerxxxxx

That would be a violation of the license. Any version you use as the basis of an upgrade is tied to that upgrade.

You cannot transfer the earlier versions!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Bakerxxxxx

On behalf of Adobe, once you upgrade from a particular software version, you no longer have any right whatsoever to transfer (either sell or give) the older software. You may continue to use that software on the same system(s) you have installed the upgrade on, but legally, the new and the upgraded software are the same license.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points