Skip navigation
bostonmacro
Currently Being Moderated

lightroom changing date stamps (or more) on unopened files??

May 19, 2011 6:13 AM

I routinely backup my catalog to an external drive, and then I sync all the folders with images to the same drive. I have done this ever since starting with Lightroom a long time ago, with no problems. Last night, I backed up the catalog (LR 3.4), and afterwards, I set up a sync. There should have been 50+ deletions and a smaller number of additions, the latter mostly XMP files. I got those, but the synch software also said it needed to update roughly 2000 additional files. Windows confirmed that the date stamps of these files had been changed. These were all jpgs or XMP files, not raw files. I had not done anything with any of these 2000 extra files. Some I had not touched since December of 2008! Could LR have changed the date stamps of these files, or done some other modification, while updating the catalog for it's backup? I have never experienced anything like this before, and now I am uncertain which version of the 2000 files to keep.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2011 7:06 AM   in reply to bostonmacro

Did you turn on Auto updating of the XMPs and the checking process finally made it over to those directories?  It takes a long time to look at every file to see if it is up-to-date or not so depending on how long you have LR open, usually, it might not get a chance to look at them all unless you left it open a long time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 8:00 AM   in reply to bostonmacro

bostonmacro wrote:

If you mean "automatically write changes into XMP", I have that checked. Is there another setting that you are referring to? Would this also affect jpgs? The time stamps changed on jpgs that I worked on only years ago, before I even installed LR.

This setting will affect JPEGs. The XMP block is updated in the file metadata directly, or updates a sidecar file for those file types where there is no such metadata block, or updating the block may be dangerous (i.e., in proprietary files.)

Updating the metadata in JPEGs will update the last modified timestamp on the file object itself.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to bostonmacro

Did you do any housekeeping work with your keywords? If you renamed any KWs, or moved any around in your hierarchy, and if auto write XMP is checked, then LR will update the effected files throughout your catalog. Same for any other metadata that may be common to a group of files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 11:22 AM   in reply to bostonmacro

When you copied the files to the new drive they became new files created on that date.

I have the same thing, files not worked on in ten years with a creation date of 2009 when I got the latest computer.

Rich

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points