Skip navigation
npaglia7
Currently Being Moderated

**Transferring project to new computer - EMPTY FILE FOLDERS??

May 21, 2011 6:54 AM

I had a previous post on render issues...the render was coming out   very glitchy and fuzzy and like nothing I've experienced before...

So what I'm doing now is taking my CS4 project and transferring to a much better computer...that has CS5 Premiere Pro.

The project opens up fine but when it asks for the files - and I locate them on external hard drives...the folders are empty.

The files of these folders are absolutely fine and present when I open them from the hard drive on the computer.

I   also transferred the files from the hard drive to the desktop of the   new computer and the files are present when I open from desktop.

The only issue is when I'm in CS5...it's saying the folders are empty but they're definitely not.

This   doesn't occur for all the files...I grabbed some images (still images)   without a hitch...but the video's aren't pulling up and the voice  over,  music and sound FX aren't either...

So basically the only thing that works are the images.

I think I've experienced something like this in the past but I don't remember how I fixed it.

What's this all about and how do I correct it immediately.

The quicker the input the better....so I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could get back super quick!

Thanks - I really appreciate the help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2011 7:05 AM   in reply to npaglia7

I'm not sure, but perhaps PrPro won't recognize them if the proper codecs aren't installed? Have you tried creating a FRESH project and importing them that way?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2011 7:22 AM   in reply to npaglia7
    ...and I locate them on external hard drives...the folders are empty.

This seems a bit contradictory.
    If you located the files, then the folders aren't empty.

Try skipping offline media files when you open the project,
    then relink media from within the project by selecting the
    missing media, right-click>Link Media.
    Then navigate to the location of the media files and link.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2011 7:23 AM   in reply to npaglia7

Well, AVI and MP4 are just wrappers, not codecs... There's a great article somewhere here on the forums about codecs vs wrappers, and what you need to do to determine your specific codec and if your machine has it. I've got all that info on my office computer, but I'm home and don't have quick access to it, but a quick google search with your domain set to this forum should give you those links.

Anyway, creating a fresh project and trying to import your media there will tell you if Premiere really does have the proper codecs installed, and tell you quickly. One option (if you can't get your original project to work) would be to create a new project, import your media, and then import that project into your original one... then you'd have to go through and manually re-link your media (by doing right-click in the timeline/replace with clip from bin, making sure the proper clip in the bin is highlighted each time). It'd be a pain, but at least you'd get your media back in.

Now, another thought has occurred to me, though--is it possible that your files have changed name in any way? I mean any way at all?. When you're in the process of trying to find your original media, you'll see a checkbox in the browser window that says "show only matching files." If that box is checked, it won't show ANYTHING else but files that EXACTLY match the name of your original... it can be a huge help to have that box checked if you're looking through a folder with a ton of files that have similar names, but it can also be a pain--and I've found that it doesn't always work--sometimes it will show nothing when I know the file's there.

So the first thing you need to do is go back into the re-linking media section and make sure that box isn't checked. If that doesn't work, try the new project. If that doesn't work, then you need to go find that article that describes codecs vs wrappers, and download the proper program to determine what codecs you have installed on this new system. That program should be linked from that discussion.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2011 7:33 AM   in reply to npaglia7

have you checked to make sure that box isn't checked?

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2011 7:38 AM   in reply to npaglia7

Well, you could go either way--create a new file and import your old one for to bring in the timelines, or create a new file and import it into your old one for access to the media. Really six of one/half dozen of another honestly.

That's just a really odd problem to be having--doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2011 5:28 AM   in reply to npaglia7

Ok, your other problem (with it not finding the video references) is due to

a clip that is somehow corrupted. That happened to me with a number of

pieces of RED 4k footage I had when I made the migration from CS4 to CS5.

The fix is pretty painless, too. I'll shamelessly copy and paste the fix

solution from Colin, who gave it to me back in October of last year...

here's the fix:

Download MPEG Streamclip, and unzip it--no install needed. The latest beta

version is fine.

Open one of the broken files in MPEG Streamclip.

Select File > Save As, and select a new save location. You probably want to

keep the file name the same as the original (this is the default).

Hit OK.

Profit!

For more background on that problem, check out my thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/737264?tstart=30

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers