Skip navigation

Flash player randomly crashes computer

May 21, 2010 12:08 AM

Latest reply: Wolfgang3000, Apr 11, 2014 5:17 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2011 7:41 AM   in reply to reda316

Hi all (especially Reda316),

I’d been waiting for months for the right answer, none of them worked.
    If after trying all the above advice and the crash still happens, then do the following:

Open the side cover of your PC (TOWER), get a vacuum cleaner and put on one of its attachments (preferably the long cylinder one).

Clean all the PC fans using the vacuum, especially your GRAPHICS CARD. Your graphics card can be identified usually as a rectangular shape with a small fan inside it. After cleaning all the dust and debris from all the fans put your PC back together and try that.

My PC is new and I was surprised with the crap that had been collected inside, so this is most likely your problem too.

Note: I didn’t think this would solve my problem since it started only after the flash-player update (around February I think), so I thought it could only be the flash-player, but lo and behold this solved my problem. Maybe the update triggered the reaction, hard to say, but the main thing is that this worked. Just be careful when vacuuming, don’t get wild in there.

I experienced all the above symptoms and none of the advice worked for me. My PC has been running smoothly ever since, whether I watch hours of google videos or anythibg else.

If this worked for anyone, I’m glad I could help. Maybe the adobe admin can give this advice to others if all else fails.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 8:12 AM   in reply to kevin_i

I did had the same problem and it was very annoying as it first started with chrome only. Every time I would watch a video inside a flash content in chrome the computer freezed. Afterwards the problem expanded to mozilla also and I had to deal with it. The set up is interl core duo, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 2400. I download an update for the graphics card and everything worked just fine. Hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 9:57 PM   in reply to kevin_i

It's been over a year since the original post and this problem persists.

Hey Adobe: The posters in this thread are EXPERIENCED computer users.

This issue is FLASH based. Not hardware based.

No other program or media format causes my computers to crash.

Yet Flash Video (embedded or downloaded and viewed in flvplayer) causes both my desktop and laptop computers to crash EVERY TIME.

How about someone at Adobe providing a solution to the issue they created?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 1:01 AM   in reply to doesany1reallycare

doesany1reallycare wrote:

Hey Adobe

This is a user forum; you are not addressing Adobe here.

Also, this topic is totally convoluted with dozens of different posters with different environments; it is impossible to get anything useful out of such a topic.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 5:05 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Also, this topic is totally convoluted with dozens of different posters with different environments; it is impossible to get anything useful out of such a topic.

It illustrates the problem is more widespread, not limited to a single hardware config.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2011 2:07 PM   in reply to kevin_i

Same problem here - makes no difference if I'm running Chrome, Firefox, or IE (7-9).  I'm also currently running Windows 7 (Home Premium), but this problem existed in Windows Vista, as well (both 64-bit).

Pentium Dual-Core E6300 @2.80GHz, 8Gb RAM.  Video card is NVidia GeForce 9400 GT with 1Gb RAM on the card (original driver version 8.17.12.5896, updated to 8.17.12.7061 with no effect).

I'm a computer tech so keep my system clean, and up-to-date.

Nothing is shown in the app logs (application or system).

It's ALWAYS Flash video that causes the same thing - generally, when I'm watching something on Youtube.  After a few minutes (and it's random - it has been as short as 20 seconds, or as long as 7 minutes) of viewing, the screen goes blank and obviously, the video card has crashed.  Then, at times, the video sound will continue for a few more seconds, then start to skip and eventually loop - requiring a manual cold-boot.  I've never had Flash completely cause my system to reboot, but it always requires a cold start after crashing the video card.

I've disabled hardware acceleration, but it has no obvious benefit.

Windows media files, Quicktime, DivX, etc have no problems and can run (in their respective native applications or a browser window) for as long as an hour, without causing any issues to my pc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2011 3:43 PM   in reply to Big DeQ

Hi,

This may not resolve current issues with the flash player crashing, but perhaps in the near future:  With HTML 5 out already, I understand that adobe flash is now, or will become outdated.  ie: there is no need to use adobe flash with html 5.  If this is the case, maybe all our flash problems will go away?

Thanks

Will

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to kevin_i

I'm running MS IE 8.0 and never had a problem with the flash player that came with my computer.   However lately whenever I agree to update my flash player when I go to the same websites i usually go to watch streaming video my web browser crashes....sometime even my whole computer freezes up.....when I check my task manager my memory usage is off the chart.......why would i get an update that my computer obviously cant run?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to kevin_i

Greetings everyone. Newbie on the forum.

I came to this pages through a Google search by "flash crashes PC".

I also have random problems when viewing flash content on my pc. And my problems are double-random. Only one thing in common: it happens ONLY when viewing flash content.

First "random": it only happens sometimes. I can view flash content without crash, or it may happen when less expected.

Second "random": sometimes the computer simply freezes (the mouse starts moving slow and slower, imagine playing a game and the FPS reducing, until mouse, image and hard disk completely freezes; other times the PC goes immediatly to a blue screen and instant reboot, just like that.

I also believe that there is no incompatibility with other programs; sometimes I have a load of other programs running, other times it's just the browser running alone.

It happens both on IE and Firefox. Flash is up to date on both browsers.

It happens on my desktop and on my laptop. My laptop is a ASUS Z53T and my desktop is as described:

- Corsair power 1050w modular

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400@3.00GHz

- Board ASUS P5KPL/1600

- Graph card NVidia GeForce GTX285 - updated to the latest drivers

- Windows XP Home - constantly updated

Also, filters and coolers are cleaned in a regular base, as well as dust removal.

When the computer goes to bluescreen and reboots, after the reboot I get the error recovery message with this error code:

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : E0000001 BCP2 : B8468925 BCP3 : B0E5F8B8
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

My desktop never crashed before (can't say the same about the laptop LOL), and the latest OS installation is 3 years old!!! The flash-related crashes have been happening for a month or so, can't be precise on that.

Hope to hear from you, folks.

Best regards from Portugal,

Vasco.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 12:42 PM   in reply to Vasco Troni

I have had that problem before - I would suggest that you try to either reinstall your OS (You have to backup your files) or try restoring your computer to a previous state. The latter worked for me! You can never tell what computers do nowadays, sometimes they can be most unreliable!

Trust this helps!

Jock

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to jock mcrock

I agree.  I had completely random rebooting of my laptop, and I even took it in to a repair shop.   I lived with this nightmare for many months.  But basically, I had to reinstall the OS and my problem went away.  It was probably some buggy software that I downloaded from the net that caused the instability (or a really wicked virus someone hid in some download software, although no antivirus detected anything). 

Also, it looks like adobe flash has passed it's prime and may be phased out over the next few years as HTML 5 becomes more and more popular, so hopefully people won't have to worry about it for much longer.

Ricky Roma

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 3:25 PM   in reply to jock mcrock

" would suggest that you try to either reinstall your OS "

Ummm, no, that is a crap answer.  You don't reinstall an operating system because a single 3rd party plugin crashes the machine.  You find the cause of the problem, or a suitable workaround.

That's the lazy man's way out, and if you worked in our I.T. department and gave that answer, the boss would send you packing. 

You don't use a sledge hammer to tap in the nail to hang a picture.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 5:21 AM   in reply to kevin_i

This sounds like very much like an Adobe flash problem, I have been dealing with this Cr*p for over the last year for various clients, there are a number of workarounds already listed on these forums as well as other technical forums and looking at the number of posts on these forums I see that Adobe should be well aware of this issue.

Get it sorted Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to keyeung

Guys I'm suffering the same porblem, have anyone found a solution yet ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to kevin_i

the only solution i've found was to downgrade to 10.3.183.10. higher than that i would get several random system lockups daily. i've only gotten one in the past week after downgrading

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to flash_crash

We want to fix these crashes but we do need some key information first.  Please see this FAQ for details:

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

how can we submit logs that don't exist because the system was completely locked up before any crash logs could be generated? this bug indefinitely freezes my computer frocing me to hold the power button to turn it off

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Feb 7, 2012 11:59 PM   in reply to flash_crash

Your right, in those cases we can't get logs.  However, there's other information that we can use such as the URL the crash/freeze occurred on, hardware/driver info from dxdiag reports, browser and flash versions, etc.  Basically any and all information we can get that will help us reproduce the problem.  We need this information in a bug report so we can efficiently track issues and make sure they are all investigated.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Have also been experiencing the same problem for over the last year and have finally isolated it to Flash related content downloads. The PC freezes up, using Internet Explorer version 8, Windows 7. The PC freezing up problem repeatedly occurs when in an Adobe Connect session, particularly when someone is sharing their desktop. Also occurs infrequently when performing Camtasia Flash rendered downloads. Does not seem to occur when downloading Captivate content. Hope this helps in sorting the problem out.

Also noticed in my Flash Player Global Storage Settings panel that the content setting was set for 100 KB, I just upped it to 1 MB. Not sure that will fix  the freezing problem though.

Final thought - also suspect there may be a possibility of a Java script setting not set correctly in IE that may be a factor, as Camtasia adds a js file. Not sure what Adobe Connect  downloads in term of java scripting (if anything along those lines) during a share session.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

@Chris Campbell:

I already logged the error. My message dates from November and I am still with the exact same problem:

- Corsair power 1050w modular

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400@3.00GHz

- Board ASUS P5KPL/1600

- Graph card NVidia GeForce GTX285 - updated to the latest drivers

- Windows XP Home - constantly updated

Also, filters and coolers are cleaned in a regular base, as well as dust removal.

When the computer goes to bluescreen and reboots, after the reboot I get the error recovery message with this error code:

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : E0000001 BCP2 : B8468925 BCP3 : B0E5F8B8
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

My desktop never crashed before (can't say the same about the laptop LOL), and the latest OS installation is 3 years old!!! The flash-related crashes have been happening for a month or so, can't be precise on that.

It is more than obvious, with error logs or not, that flash  is messing up with our computers. You guys created it, you guys should be able -more than anyone else- to find out what's wrong. Maybe it's time for me to get some true media coverage about this issue. This is absolutely unconceivable for a flagship company like Adobe claims to be.

Vasco Troni.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Feb 10, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to Vasco Troni

Vasco,

Unfortunately it's not that simple.  Flash player doesn't crash on every system, and when it does not all crashes are the same.  We need either reproducible steps and/or crash logs plus other critical information (such as URL and system specs) to have a chance at replicating the bug and then fixing it.

Since you experienced a blue screen crash, that leads me to believe that your video card drivers are not robust enough to handle Flash's GPU/Video functionality.  Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration to see if that resolves the problem?  I'd also be happy to look up your bug to find the status.  Did you use your forum name when you entered it over at bugbase.adobe.com?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, that is - finally - an answer. Thank you! :-)

Will check if my hardware acceleration is enabled/disabled, and will disable if it is enabled.

Didn't knew of "bugbase". Will report there soon as possible.

Hope to help on the troubleshooting ;-)

Vasco.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to samiam_68

I took Sam's suggestion although I did not see a standard settings selection.  But then I remembered ignoring messages from Catalyst/ATI that it was outdated, so I took the steps to detect the driver and update.  I haulted the process after receiving Microsoft's message about not passing the logo certificate indicating it was compatible.

Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Logo

Hardware and software products displaying the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo have been tested for compatibility with Microsoft Windows operating systems through use of Microsoft-provided testing procedures. For the best performance, Microsoft recommends using hardware products that display the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo on the external packaging and on the device itself.

Designed for Windows logo

Software for hardware products with the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo has a digital signature from Microsoft, indicating that the product was tested for compatibility with Windows and has not been altered since testing. For the latest updates, including security fixes, service packs, new Help files, and device drivers, see Windows Update in Help and Support Center. You may also want to contact the hardware vendor directly and ask for a device driver that has met the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo requirements. For more information, visit the Microsoft Windows Logo Program (go to http://www.microsoft.com/ and search for "Windows logo program") on the Microsoft Web site.

Warning

• Microsoft strongly recommends you only use device drivers with the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo. Installing device drivers that have not been digitally-signed by Microsoft may disable the system, allow viruses onto your computer, or otherwise impair the correct operation of your computer either immediately or in the future.

I'll uncheck the program settings in the current version and research further.

Thanks.

LA

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to kevin_i

I would like to add my name into the "me to" list.

My symptoms are exactly as decribed by above posters.

My system:

Windows 7 64bit Pro

Intel i7 920 @ 3.5Ghz

6GB DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 6870

SSD

Firefox

I've been checking back to this thread for many months hoping there will be a solution posted. I may have found a solution (thats working for me at least).  I noticed when I deactivate two cores on my i7 and turned off hyperthreading the problem stoped.  Unfortunately with this being a gaming computer, thats not a acceptable answer. So I decided to just make Firefox think I have only two cores by setting the affinity to the firefox.exe process to only use "CPU 0" (1st core) and "CPU 1" (1st core's HyperThread partner)

Since the affinity changes back to default everytime the program is reopened, you can make a batch file to automaticly set the affinity when launching firefox.

firefox.bat:

start /affinity 3 firefox.exe

**setting affinity to 1 uses CPU 0, 2 uses CPU 1 (HT), 3 uses CPU 0 and CPU 1(HT) together

Put that in the same directory as firefox and run it everytime instead of firefox.exe

This solution is holding up for me, and I hope this help someone else.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to BostonLA

It did not work out, probably because I lack education in updating drivers, and I wound up needing to restore to factory settings.  Luckily, that worked.  I think it is a Windows issue, though, not an Adobe issue.  I have reinstalled Flash Player.  I did not notice it before that individual websites with Flash can be chosen to run the add on, or all websites with Flash can run the add on.  I was getting a black screen crash before the factory settings restore, but so far so good for now and the plan is continue to run Flash optionally for a test.  Lesson learned on driver updating.  Since I'm not a gamer, I'm leaving off looking into the ATI because the computer works well for now.  When I did the restore, I did notice all kinds of Windows updates, including driver updates.  Save files before doing the restore.  It may be the best thing to do...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:11 AM   in reply to kevin_i

just adding myself to the list of disgruntled people, i am having the same issue, always when i'm watching you tube itv player or iplayer, sometimes its a hard reboot other times i get a bsod, and occaisionally just the pluging dies.(yes i then send an error report) i'm running xp sp3 an atholon dual core 3.8 with a geforce 8 gc. ive had this problem for months now and am convinced its the flash plugin causing the crashes. i just wish there was an alternative to adobe. it comes to something when the best advice is to get the hoover on it.  anyway kicking my machine very hard didnt work either.

evil evil flash player

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to kevin_i

I have been looking for a solution since January my laptop doesn't freeze but worse when using either Flash standalone player or the plug-in Chrome it crashes and crashes my sound driver.  I have no sound until I restore my system and uninstall Flash for the sound device to get recognized, I've updated my video and sound drivers but it still happens .  So now I don't run any Flash content.  Its riduculous!! I have nvidia gforce 7000 and conextant smart audio 221 please fix this guys.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 11, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to swjules88

tomcatvmp1 - I'd definitely suggest updating your drivers.

Windows: how do I update the device driver for my video/display adapter?

swjules88 - Can you create a new bug report at bugbase.adobe.com and include your dxdiag report so we can take a look at your audio configuration?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to kevin_i

I share your frustration.  Pretty much identical problem with Adobe flash for over a year now.  Everything freezes up for about 20 seconds, then p.c. crashes, doing a hard reboot. 

My system:

Dell XPS One, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @2.33GHz

4.0 GB memory, 32-bit operating system.

Windows Vista Home Premium, Service pack 2

Browser IE9:  v 9.0.8112.16421

Adobe Flash: v 11.2.202.235 (hardware acceleration has already been de-selected)

Display adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400.  Driver is current. 

No hints or error codes in logs since it's a hard crash.

Ran all the hardware diagnostics and no problems were found.

One behavior I've noted but haven't seen mention of in this or other forums: some videos are pretty much guaranteed to crash my p.c. if I click on 'full screen'.  In trying to find a pattern it also seemed to me that HD videos are far more problematic than non-HD. I've also run into the occassional video that will play just fine for a good long time before crashing the p.c., then continue to crash in exactly the same spot upon multiple replay attempts.   

Like everyone else, I'm anxious for a real solution as it's the biggest time waster to suffer through all the reboots and resuming your p.c. activities. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to letsBcivil

To All,

I have been lumbered with the same "Flash is ruining my life" issue as the rest of you, but as I don't always need to view Flash content when I browse, I have botched the following fix from the plethra of suggestions;

• Install Flashblock addon for Firefox - to browse without the worry of flash trying to kill your PC...
    • Change Firefox 'affinity' in task manager to run on a single core, instead of 4 - to view flash content

There are obviously ways you can tinker with Firefox so that it will always start up and run on a single core, but with Flashblock addon running i dont need to alter it.

All I need to do when i want to watch a flash anim/video is hop onto task manager and reduce the cores used.

This sorted the issue for me after a long month downloading new and unnecessary drivers, cleaning my vents, and rebooting my system.

If it works for you, great! If not, it's another thing you can add to your - "that didn't help list".

For now I'm going to wait for an Adobe update which is a little less unpredictable while using a flash player that just about works...

Good Luck

Rauko

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to FlashMadness

Dear All,

I know this is an old topic but i met this problem and found a solution (Don't know whether it will work in your case but you could try). My issue is that after watching any flash video, it will definately crash my computer without any bsod report.

After reading through the internet for a solution, i read from a forum that it could be related to your onboard audio drivers (Mine was a VIA Audio driver with no more support).

In my case, i disabled my onboard audio from the BIOS and bought a cheap USB audio card for use. No crashes ever since. Hope this can help someone.

Specs for references :

Asus P7P55D

Intel Core i5-750

MSI ATI 5770

4GB OCZ RAM

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 11:18 PM   in reply to EricL1234

Please Adobe fix this problem... You know it exists and is ruining many peoples internet.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to losethehead

Having exactly the same issue.

Flash palyer freezes my computer. Even mouse cursor does not move. Happens in both Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit. Any browser. With hardware acceleration enabled or not. With different flash version (tried 11.3 to 11.9). With different GPU drivers version.

Flash player kills my PC 10 out of 10 times. Freeze is easy to reproduce in any youtube video (takes 5~120 seconds to crash).

mb: asus m5a97 r2.0

cpu: AMD FX-8320

Graphics: AMD HD6850

RAM: 8GB DDR3 G.skill Ripjaws X

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to knuckle117

I know it means nothing, (as far as a fix) but I noticed on the tube, if you don't scroll down the page to where you trigger the "comments" forum to roll out, flash doesn't crash?

I've always had this problem on multiple windows versions, multiple combinations of browsers, etc..

It never fails, I can watch a vid, and it will play all the way through every time, but if I try scrolling down to where the comments roll out, SMACK! - lights out! It's even worse now with the tubes new and (impossible to follow) comment system!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 3:21 AM   in reply to Pinkobamunist

i never really had this problem mself till about... 6 months ago really (back in july) like many sthinsg either insta freeze or slow and studder last note soundcard is outputting.

specs are:

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1 Motherboard

AMD FX 4100 CPU

XFX Radeon HD5750 Videocard

8GB DDR3 1333 Ram

500GB Main Hdd

200GB "Spare/Slave" HDD

OCZ ModExtreme 750W Modular PSU

Westinghouse LD-2240 22" LED HDTV (was cheaper than an dedicated Monitor.) connected over HDMI

AMD Catalyst Driver: 13.9

evereything hardware wise is fine though my case im a lil unsure about my PSU (maybe its weakend over the years? i did get the PSU 3 years ago.) but everytime is if flash been open for an extended peroid of time or i have a video or stream open  w/ some games (Minecraft/Warframe/FFXIV) then PFFT Blackout! hard lockup causing me to reboot.

i've had it where i set a video playlist on youtube to fall asleep to and wake up to the system dead as a doornail.

the only entry in my event log is a KERNEL_POWER_EVENT Event ID:41 Task Catagory:63 and the only thing before it is a Web proxy service entering a Stopped state before the time the system Froze .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 12:15 PM   in reply to scooby UK

I followed Scooby's advice by vacuuming the desktop interior, especially the cooling fan and fins. However, I went further and removed the cooling fin unit from the CPU, cleaned both sides off, and reset the cooling fin unit onto the CPU with "arctic silver 5 thermal compound". All my video crashing disappeared. I surmise that the CPU had been overheating under heavy video load due to inadequate thermal transfer to the cooling fit unit. In any event, all I can say is that, in my hands, on my desktop, this worked for me.

I hope that this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 12:43 PM   in reply to knuckle117

I was able to fix my freezes by resetting overclocking on CPU and GPU. Not sure what was the issue exactly (CPU or GPU) but it helped.

Will spend some time later and find out what OC setting makes PC crash when using flash player.

Weird thing is PC froze when using Flash player only, no other heavy 3D application running for hours could crash it =\

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2014 6:14 PM   in reply to samiam_68

I noticed this is an old post but thought I'd chime in. The problem still exists today. I have spent countless hours and tried a gozillion different techniques trying to reslove this issue but it is still going on today and Adobe apparently has no intentions of doing anything about it. There is not one in this forum that will reslove the issue until someone other than Adobe comes up with a solution. So far, after nearly 3 years, uninstalling flash, reinstalling flash, unchecking this and unchecking that, purchasing a new PC, the flash player is still crashing. You would not convince me otherwise that the problem is anything other than Adobe Flash.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 6:33 PM   in reply to zingy38

I can also confirm that this problem still exists. I've been fighting this problem since 2012. I did find that disabling hardware acceleration did reduce the black screen crashes considerably but one would slip in ever now and then. I have used Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 and all exibit that same random black screen flash crashes. I mostly have used Firefox but did have the same problem with IE and Chrome. I also found that for youtube, making HTML5 the default video player eliminates crashes there.  Adblock Plus for both Chrome and Firefox helps too. I also have monitored system fans/temps and everything is stable and normal temp wise. 

Today I currently dual boot Windows 8.1 with Linux Mint. While running Linux I never have any system crashes while using any type of flash. I would use Linux 100% if it were not for a few games I play that will not run on Linux. The FPS are way to low.  I've also used other flavors of Linux such as Ubuntu, Manjaro, and OpenSUSE, all with the open drivers and the proprietery Catalyst Drivers installed.  System is rock solid while using Linux.

My theory is that it's an issue only in Windows/Flash that causes the video card to completely shut down.

My system specs....

Intel i3 2120 3.3Ghz

Gigabyte Z68A mobo

Sapphire 6870

4GB of Ram

Crucial 650W PSU

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 6:19 PM   in reply to kevin_i

Yes, I have the same problem on my website ShopMyStore when I install Amazon Instant Video widgets. I try and open a new page with the widgets on it on my Mozilla browser and my computer crashes. I am on an Ubuntu machine.

The Mozilla window jams up on opening and I can not close the window nor can I exit Mozilla. I can not access any other programs either. The only solution is to restart my machine.

I have no problem viewing the same pages on Chromium.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points