Skip navigation
jcwacky1985
Currently Being Moderated

Suddenly getting "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" on certain sites.

May 20, 2011 3:20 AM

Problem Description

I'm suddenly getting the message "Navigation to the webpage was  canceled" when trying to test certain sites in BrowserLab:  http://spdr.me/xBdc

Here is a list of sites I'm having the problem with:

Steps to Recreate

1. Open the main BrowserLab interface.
  2. Enter http://demo.silverstripe.org as the site to test
  3. Click the Refresh Screenshots button

• This happens every time, on the above sites.
  • I am using Firefox 4.0.1, on Mac OS X 10.6.7, but I don't believe this is a problem at my end.

Expected Results

I should see a screenshot of the site.

Actual Results

The screenshot just shows "Navigation to the webpage was  canceled":  http://spdr.me/xBdc Or when switching to Firefox, just a blank white screen.

Further Information

• The sites load fine when trying to access them in a web browser.
  • The thing all these sites have in common is that they use the SilverStripe Content Management system.
  • I have been using SilverStripe on my sites for over a year, and have  never had this problem with BrowserLab until the last week or so.

• Other websites such as microsoft.com and bbc.co.uk load fine.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2011 4:42 PM   in reply to jcwacky1985

Hi,

Thanks for the very detailed and complete problem report, I really appreciate it. FYI, I was able to repro the issue. I'm forwarding this thread to our server guys to take a look at.

Sorry if this is preventing you from using BrowserLab. We'll try to get back to you with an ETA on a possible solution or workaround.

Thanks,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 5:30 PM   in reply to jcwacky1985

Thanks for the report.

Here is the response I got: "When I preview http://demo.silverstripe.org/ on my dev browser server errors are generated when decompressing the main page - java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: "UTF-8". I checked another page that uses gzip compression and UTF-8 encoding and it works fine - http://shop.cascade.org/. This leads me to believe that there perhaps is a problem with the encoding on the pages this person is previewing."

We've done some more checking since then and have found a change that was made for our 1.6 release a few weeks ago. That could be the explanation for why you weren't seeing this issue previously and are now. We are going to look into that and also look at our browser configurations and see if there is some setting we have turned on that might affect how picky the browsers will be about encoding errors like that.

We will investigate and see what we can do, but I have to imagine it will take a week or more to do anything about. As a workaround until then, you could examine your pages, find the UTF-8 encoding error(s), and fix them on your/Silverstripe's end.

Hope this helps,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 10:44 AM   in reply to jcwacky1985

Understood, and I agree with you. We are continuing to investigate the issue... I'll update this thread when we have any more information.

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 2:06 AM   in reply to jcwacky1985

I'm having exactly the same issue. Also using Silverstripe, but also never had these problems with Browserlab before. Now they're just not showing up (no issues in any browsers though, just on Browserlab).

I just get "Navigation to this webpage was canceled" in IE or a blank screen on FF & Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to neilcreagh

Hi Neil, do you have a sample url you can send to us? I can see the issue on the URLs we got from the other user, but seeing yours may give us some more information.Also please let me know the answers to the following:

1. Did anything change on your pages recently that may have caused this?
    2. Have there been any updates to Silverstripe that you know of that could have changed things?
    3. When was the last time you used BrowserLab to test a Silverstripe page and saw that it was working?

We haven't changed anything in the last week or so on BrowserLab that could have caused this to happen, so any info you can give us may be helpful in tracking this down.

Thanks,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 2:27 AM   in reply to Mark Rausch

do you have a sample url you can send to us?
    Yes, the URLs I'm having this issue with are all my Silverstripe sites - here is just a sample few:

Here is a list of all of our recent projects that have been built using Silverstripe, as far as I can see none of them are working in Broswerlab (all are working correctly in regular browsers)
    http://www.fuel.ie/portfolio/cms/show/2
    1. Did anything change on your pages recently that may have caused this?
    No, in fact I've looked at some of these sites previously in Browserlab - so something has changed at your end.

2. Have there been any updates to Silverstripe that you know of that could have changed things?
    No, I've checked sites running much older versions of Silverstripe and they're not working either, when previously they were. The link to the bigger list of sites above has a range of Silverstripe versions from 2.2 to 2.5, and hosted with different providers, none of which are working.

3. When was the last time you used BrowserLab to test a Silverstripe page and saw that it was working?
    I can't answer this accurately, but certainly not within the last couple of months. I first noticed the problem when trying to view updates to my own website fuel.ie back in January (mid/late January 2011)

Thanks for looking in to this - it's clearly a compatibility issue with Browserlabs & Silverstripe, because any of our other sites (using a different CMS) are working fine.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2011 4:13 PM   in reply to neilcreagh

I'm also having this issue recently.

Example site: http://www.sommerfields.co.nz

BrowserLab is great - I'd love to get a fix for this as I do quite a bit of Silverstripe development.

Thanks,

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 10:26 AM   in reply to bennettpr

Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful. We will continue to investigate.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 3:36 PM   in reply to Mark Rausch

Like I said, we are looking into this issue, but during our investigation so far we have found a workaround you all should be able to use until we can figure out exactly what the issue is and get a fix uploaded.

If you test with Firefox 3.6 or 4, you should be able view your web page locally, then make use of our BrowserLab for Firebug add-on to Preview Local Content on that page and see the results in BrowserLab. You can find more details here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/786305?tstart=0

Hope this helps,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 4:41 PM   in reply to Mark Rausch

We found the source of the problem - Silverstripe is generating a bad HTTP header. The content-type header has quotes around the charset value. For example,

content-type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"

is used when it should be

content-type: text/xml; charset=utf-8

Most modern browsers are lenient and allow the bad header, but BrowserLab was tripped up by the quotes. This problem appeared recently when BrowserLab added the ability to follow links on screenshots. This feature requires us to read and parse pages and trying to read a page with an unknown charset caused an error to be reported.

We have implemented a fix, which is to strip off quotes from the charset value. We anticipate that the fix will be deployed by the end of July.

The problem can also be fixed if Silverstripe removes the quotes from the content-type header.

-Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 9:21 PM   in reply to tomj@adobe

Thanks for the response - much appreciated.

I'll pass this on to Silverstripe.

Regards,

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2011 1:56 AM   in reply to tomj@adobe

Great, thanks Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2011 10:46 AM   in reply to jcwacky1985

FYI, this issue should now be fixed and Silverstripe sites should be working again in BrowserLab as of the update we posted yesterday.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points