I'm suddenly getting the message "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" when trying to test certain sites in BrowserLab: http://spdr.me/xBdc
Here is a list of sites I'm having the problem with:
Steps to Recreate
I should see a screenshot of the site.
The screenshot just shows "Navigation to the webpage was canceled": http://spdr.me/xBdc Or when switching to Firefox, just a blank white screen.
I have been using SilverStripe on my sites for over a year, and have never had this problem with BrowserLab until the last week or so.
Other websites such as microsoft.com and bbc.co.uk load fine.
Thanks for the very detailed and complete problem report, I really appreciate it. FYI, I was able to repro the issue. I'm forwarding this thread to our server guys to take a look at.
Sorry if this is preventing you from using BrowserLab. We'll try to get back to you with an ETA on a possible solution or workaround.
Thanks for the report.
Here is the response I got: "When I preview http://demo.silverstripe.org/ on my dev browser server errors are generated when decompressing the main page - java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: "UTF-8". I checked another page that uses gzip compression and UTF-8 encoding and it works fine - http://shop.cascade.org/. This leads me to believe that there perhaps is a problem with the encoding on the pages this person is previewing."
We've done some more checking since then and have found a change that was made for our 1.6 release a few weeks ago. That could be the explanation for why you weren't seeing this issue previously and are now. We are going to look into that and also look at our browser configurations and see if there is some setting we have turned on that might affect how picky the browsers will be about encoding errors like that.
We will investigate and see what we can do, but I have to imagine it will take a week or more to do anything about. As a workaround until then, you could examine your pages, find the UTF-8 encoding error(s), and fix them on your/Silverstripe's end.
Hope this helps,
I'm having exactly the same issue. Also using Silverstripe, but also never had these problems with Browserlab before. Now they're just not showing up (no issues in any browsers though, just on Browserlab).
I just get "Navigation to this webpage was canceled" in IE or a blank screen on FF & Chrome.
Hi Neil, do you have a sample url you can send to us? I can see the issue on the URLs we got from the other user, but seeing yours may give us some more information.Also please let me know the answers to the following:
We haven't changed anything in the last week or so on BrowserLab that could have caused this to happen, so any info you can give us may be helpful in tracking this down.
Yes, the URLs I'm having this issue with are all my Silverstripe sites - here is just a sample few:do you have a sample url you can send to us?
No, in fact I've looked at some of these sites previously in Browserlab - so something has changed at your end.1. Did anything change on your pages recently that may have caused this?
2. Have there been any updates to Silverstripe that you know of that could have changed things?
3. When was the last time you used BrowserLab to test a Silverstripe page and saw that it was working?
Like I said, we are looking into this issue, but during our investigation so far we have found a workaround you all should be able to use until we can figure out exactly what the issue is and get a fix uploaded.
If you test with Firefox 3.6 or 4, you should be able view your web page locally, then make use of our BrowserLab for Firebug add-on to Preview Local Content on that page and see the results in BrowserLab. You can find more details here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/786305?tstart=0
Hope this helps,
We found the source of the problem - Silverstripe is generating a bad HTTP header. The content-type header has quotes around the charset value. For example,
content-type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"
is used when it should be
content-type: text/xml; charset=utf-8
Most modern browsers are lenient and allow the bad header, but BrowserLab was tripped up by the quotes. This problem appeared recently when BrowserLab added the ability to follow links on screenshots. This feature requires us to read and parse pages and trying to read a page with an unknown charset caused an error to be reported.
We have implemented a fix, which is to strip off quotes from the charset value. We anticipate that the fix will be deployed by the end of July.
The problem can also be fixed if Silverstripe removes the quotes from the content-type header.
Europe, Middle East and Africa