• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5 (No Quiz) Published To SCORM 1.2 - Saba 5.4.3

New Here ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 13 page 'reader' where a learner only needs to view the slides and when they get to the end, close the course.

I am on Saba 5.4.3.  I am publishing to SCORM 1.2 but can not seem to get the 'course' to go to "Transcript".

I have tested almost every combination of 'settings' (albeit - the right one - which is eluding me).

Here is the settings that get me to show the course 'completed' in the 'TOC' yet when closed stays in enrollments.

QUIZ REPORTING

Enable reporting for this project (Checked)

SCORM --> Manifest (1.2) --> Default

Report Status

Complete/Complete (Checked)

Report To LMS as

"Percent"

Chose Report Data

"Slide Views Only" and then 100

Report Level

"Interactions and Score"

Pass or Fail:

Pass or Fail Options: "75% or more..."

I have tried using "0%" I have used different numbers for "Slide Views"

I have tried "Score" vs "Percent"

Any help would be great, Thanks!

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

I would suggest you use a button instead of a quiz question since you need to configure the question properly so that it will only need a single click on the Submit button.  Otherwise two clicks will be required by the user. One to submit and another click to progress.  A normal button will always do the job with just a single click.

Just add a normal Captivate button to the second last slide and set that button to Report to Quiz with a score of 1.

Label this button something like Click Here to Co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have a score? You talk only about viewing slides. Be aware that a slide will only be counted as viewed if the whole timeline of that slide has played. If you insert a button with a pause, and set its action to Go to the Next slide, the part of the timeline after the pausing point will never play, thus this slide will not be marked as completed, neither in the TOC, neither when reporting to the LMS.

Do you need really reporting? If I do not need reporting, I only upload the course as a package, not as a SCORM-object. Then I use the LMS functionalities to check if the user has viewed the course.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 'next' buttons on all but two of the slides.  What you say make sense and I will see if they can be removed as a test.

<edit>

I removed all the 'next' buttons

Set the publishing settings as:

Report Status: "Complete/Incomplete"

Report to LMS as: "Percent"

Slide View Only (Slide View Completion 50)

Pass/Fail Options (0%)

Course, does not go to 'completion/transcript'.

</edit>

Thanks!

Message was edited by: MarkRHammon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried uploading this same test SCORM package to SCORM Cloud to see if it successfully completes there?  I often find SCORM Cloud's log files very useful in debugging what is happening with the SCORM variables during the course play.  It's all recorded in the logs.

One thing that is required for the LMS bookmarking to work is for the Never Send Resume Data option to be unticked in Captivate's LMS Customization Settings dialog.

NeverSendResume.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard.

I had made sure that "Never Send Resume Data" was unticked.

I recently read about SCORM CLOUD but have not yet tried it.

That will be my next stop ~ Thanks again!

<edit>

I have launched the course in SCORM CLOUD and it (like the TOC in Saba) clearly show the course as 'complete' yet it does not go to 'transcript' (or successful) in the LMS (Saba 5.4.3).  I am talking to our IT partners, but I can see the answer already being ... "it's the course, not the LMS".

</edit>

Message was edited by: MarkRHammon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri,

I tried using LMS package but then we can not determine that the "Learner" viewed the entire course.  If they exit, they do not return to where they were previously (one our requirements).

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilibiri,

Thank you for this infomation. This is a concern that a course would not be marked as completed if a slide contained a button with a pause.

Instead of making the button action "Go to next slide," would it be better to make the action "Continue" so that the slide will play out? Then would the LMS mark the slide as viewed?

Thank you.

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, if you use Continue, the slide will play totally. Eventually you can drag the pausing point near to the end of the timeline to avoid waiting (the duration of the inactivate part of the button timeline).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by: "Go to Transcript"?

Lilybiri is correct.  If there are no scored interactions in the project, you don't need to have a Quiz Results slide or set to report Score.

You should be able to set Report Status to Complete/Incomplete.  Set Report to LMS as Percent. Choose Report Data as Slide Views only and set the completion percentage to whatever percentage of the actual slide views you expect the user to view completely.

If you are still not able to get the course module to be marked as completed, try setting the slide view completion percentage down low (e.g. 10 %) to see if the issue is related to the fact that not all slides are viewed all the way to the end.  If this turns out to fix the issue, try to find out where in the course the slides are not viewed to the end and either change the way the navigation works, or use a widget like TickTOC (http://www.infosemantics.com.au/ticktoc) to achieve 100% completion even if not all slides were viewed.

Having said all this, some LMSs will not play ball unless you give them some kind of a score.  So if you are still not having success, place a single scored button on the second last slide of your movie, use Pass/Fail instead of Complete/Incomplete, stick with report as Percent, and use Quiz Results Only.  When the user clicks this button the LMS should mark the course as passed.

Let us know if any of these options work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your insights.  I probably need to say I am not a developer.  I have Captivate 4 and 5 but do not have a thorough knowledge of the application.  I am the admin who puts all Web Based Training on our LMS and verify that it is SCORM 1.2 compliant and functions as 'we' expect it to.

We have been on the Saba platform for several years and have only two approved tools.  Captivate is not one of them.  Our policy has been that the tools had to be SCORM 1.2 compliant and that the 'courses' would do certain things.  Open (Duh!) - 'bookmark' (relaunch where the learner last was)- and go to completion (or as we refer to it...go to the learners transcript (Saba)).

We have quite a few developers who want to use Captivate but publishing to SCORM 1.2 and have the 'course' do the above has not worked (in our previous version of Saba).  We moved to Saba 5.4.3 last year and I have been trying to get Captivate to do the above.

We work with over 100 developers and have over 1200 active courses in our LMS and a learner population of 120,000+

I'm trying to get a basic 13 page view all the slides course to open, bookmark and go to completion.  Everything that I had read in the Saba, and Captivate forums said I had to make it 'a quiz' in order for Saba to mark it completed.  We are trying to keep all courses SCORM 1.2 compliant and make it easy for non technical folks to develop courses.

Per your suggestions I had already tried using a low number for the pages viewed.  I can get everything to happen except for it to go to completion.  I will try the package but would like to be able to keep everything in the SCORM 1.2 realm if possible.

Is a 'commit' page required for the last slide?  This 'course' was submitted for me to test and the one thing that I am aware of (with other software) is that the last slide needed to tell the LMS it was finished.  If that can be done with Captivate, then I would think that the 'reporting as a quiz' could be removed.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SUGGESTIONS and I will be trying them shortly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to finally get my course to go to 'completion' on Saba by adding a button (which was a hidden hot spot - as a quiz question).

I wouldn't think I needed to do that.  Is there away of adding the same 'quiz' action to the next to last slide which would not require a 'learner' to click on a button.

All I can see is hundred of tickets on a course because the learners did not click 'submit' vs closing the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest you use a button instead of a quiz question since you need to configure the question properly so that it will only need a single click on the Submit button.  Otherwise two clicks will be required by the user. One to submit and another click to progress.  A normal button will always do the job with just a single click.

Just add a normal Captivate button to the second last slide and set that button to Report to Quiz with a score of 1.

Label this button something like Click Here to Complete This Module or similar, so that the learners all get the idea they REALLY NEED to click this button or else their course won't be over.  Just set as Continue or Go to Next Slide action for the On Success action of the button.

Make the final slide of the movie fairly short, maybe a second or two. Set the Preferences > Project End action to either Stop Project or Close Project, whichever seems to work best with your LMS.  If you're launching all course modules in a separate window to the SCORM player, you can often use Close Project.  But if you're launching the course content within the SCORM player you'll find some LMSs will not allow the Close Project command and Stop Project is a better option.

If it's any consolation, you SHOULDN'T need to do this just to get your course to complete, but yours is not the only LMS that does this with Captivate content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod,

I did more testing last night and discovered that yes, I could add a button, give it an action and value of 1 point and with that went to transcript!

THANKS for the continual help in making this work.  I know a lot of developers who are going to be happy with the results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are just implemeting Saba right now and testing on our captivate projects. I thought someone out there might find this information useful.

I am using Captivate 5. My courses usually don't have quiz questions. I place a button on the last page. In the reporting tab for the button I check off "Include in Quiz", "Add to Total" and "Report Answers". I also check the "advanced interactions" in the project menu to ensure no other interactions are set to score.

I then go to Preferences, and the Reporting section. I enable reporting for the project. Chose Standard, SCORM, Complete/Incomplete, Percent, Quiz results only, Report Score. The important thing is I learned is to turn off bookmarking or I run into problems. Go into LMS Customization and check "never sent resume data".

It's maddening, but Saba does not work well when you use bookmarking. We were able to get the course to succesfully complete and go to transcript when booking marking was on... as long as the user did not fast forward to the 1.5 seconds after the scored button. IF they did that, the course would never report sucessful and move to transcript.  No matter how many times you open the course and click thaat darn button. Very frustrating. And even if I moved the button's pause to right at the end, there's always a little bit of time left on the timeline that the user could advance to, and then... failure. I could not find a fix for this other than turning the bookmarking off. Granted, not many users would do this, but for the ones that do, they would need the administrator to set up the course again for them. Big hassle.

Since then I've read 2 other posts saying the same thing-- bookmarking in Captivate + Saba = BAD

I hope this helps someone out there! And if anyone has come across this issue and found a fix, post it here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, this is very useful information.  I've linked this thread to the page on my Captivate LMS Compatibility Guide for SABA: http://www.infosemantics.com.au/lms_guide/saba

One thing I wanted to check with you...are you using SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 with SABA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron,

We are using SCORM 1.2. Thanks for putting your LMS page together. I'm sure it will be very helpful to future users. We continue to test this week so I'm hoping for continued success with the above mentioned method.

Noelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noellet,

Thank you for your information. I'm trying to learn more about bookmarking (resume function) and its pitfalls.

Could you please explain what you mean when you say:

"as long as the user did not fast forward to the 1.5 seconds after the scored button."

What do you mean by "fast forward"?

Thank you!

- Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources