Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to select only objects within a selection marquee?

May 24, 2011 8:40 AM

I am a new user of Illustrator CS5, switching from Freehand. I am trying to find out if there is a way to select only the objects within a selection marquee? In AutoCAD you can make a selection window from left to right and only those objects entirely within the window are selected. If you window from right to left all objects that are "crossed" or touched by the window are selected. Is there a similar technique in Illustrator?

Currently I have to select the objects, then go back and hold the shift key to deselect the object I don't want, or lock layers to prevent extra objects getting selected.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2011 10:46 AM   in reply to Ngaio9

Try the lasso tool

Picture 6.png

Works better than a marque as you are not limited to only square shapes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 11:00 AM   in reply to Ngaio9

It simply makes selections.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 11:17 AM   in reply to Ngaio9

Ngaio9 wrote:

I'm new to Illustrator, what does the lasso tool do?

It doesn't do what you want that would be a good option if there were a way of invoking it with a keyboard toggle.

Th lasso tool does pretty much what one would expect it to do it selects any object or path that falls within the area you outline with the tool on the canvas so if the object is only partially in the area it will be selected.

It would be nice to have a toggle to select only objects that fall completely within the selection area or perhaps even something more sophisticated like settings for that fall within the selected area but only on the current layer or of  certain color fill as well,etc.

Only way to do what you want is to use the layer panel and that can be a bit blind sided. At least that I know of and of course an entirely different process than you desire.

I think this would be a helpful feature but zI would like it as a toggle rather than a change.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 11:23 AM   in reply to Ngaio9

Picture 2.png

Say you want to select just the pink dots and not the blue ones, just drag round them like this with the lasso tool and they'll be selected on mouseup.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 2:55 PM   in reply to Ngaio9

Ain't no picture there. Use the camera thingummy in the reply window to send pictures.

camera.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 6:59 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Marie wants to be able to do this, where the dotted line is your lasso selection.

I think the Lasso Tool would be a better place to put the feature rather than the direct select or the selection tool
    as you can define a more random selection. and what would be great is if you could access the lasso tool when using
    another tool with command l for the traditional way of selecting and option L for the way marie would also be able to select.

I bet if she visited the scripting forum she might get those guys on it and a script might work.Problem there is keyboard short cuts for scripts do not stick
    so you might have to create an action invoking the script and assign keyboard to the action.

It is a very good feature and should be implemented.

Screen shot 2011-05-24 at 9.49.43 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 12:32 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Hi Wade, I scripted it the way Marie originally wanted it, by defining a "window".

keyboard short cuts for scripts do not stick

I have made a coupe of tutorials on how to run scripts via 2-clicks and shortcut key stroke for Windose. They don't involve programming, so I wonder if there are similar features on the Mac that could do something similar. Hover the mouse over my username to check those out.

drawRectToSelect.PNG

#target Illustrator

//  script.name = selectWithinRect.jsx;
    //  script.description = selects all items fully enclosed by a top most Rectangle;
    //  script.required = draw the "selection Marquee" Rectangle first before running;
    //  script.parent = carlos canto // 5/25/11;
    //  script.elegant = false;

var idoc = app.activeDocument;
    var topPath = idoc.pathItems[0];
    var tpVB = topPath.visibleBounds;

var left = tpVB[0];
    var top = tpVB[1];
    var right = tpVB[2];
    var bottom = tpVB[3];

for (i = 1 ; i<idoc.pageItems.length; i++)
         {

var iart = idoc.pageItems[i];

if (isPointIn(top,left,bottom,right,iart) == "true")
                   {
                        iart.selected = true;
                   }
              //alert(isPointIn(top,left,bottom,right,iart));
         }

topPath.remove();

function isPointIn(top,left,bottom,right,iart)
         {
              var vb = iart.visibleBounds;
              ileft = vb[0];
              itop = vb[1];
              iright = vb[2];
              ibottom = vb[3];

if ( ileft>left && itop<top && iright<right && ibottom>bottom)
                   return "true";
              else
                   return "false";
         }

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 3:17 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

@Carlos: you need Third Party Software on the Mac, but then it's possible. I guess that QuickKeys would work, Spark does as well: http://www.cultofmac.com/cult-of-mac-favorite-spark-mac-os-x-utility/1 0153

The scripts need to reside in ExtendScript's trusted folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Hi Monika, there it is then, good option.

I've never touched a Mac but I've seen a bar at the bottom with shortcuts? in it.Can you put a shortcut to the trusted scripts folders in there? and if you can, does it act like a menu (like in windows) listing the files in that folder? or it will merely open the folder?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 10:29 AM   in reply to Ngaio9

hahaha good analogy, for starters, does the script do what you wanted to do? based  on the screen shot

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 11:06 AM   in reply to Ngaio9

ok,

- copy the script from previous post

- open Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit

- paste the copied script

- save the script with a meaningful name

to run double click on the script.

if you want to run it from within Illustrator -> File -> Scripts Menu

- save the script here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5\Presets\en_US\Scripts\

- restart Illustrator

folder path is for Windows...I guess mac would be similar path

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

@Carlos: you mean the "Dock"? You can put links to any folder there. Just drag the trusted folder into the dock and there it is.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 11:59 AM   in reply to Ngaio9

What is a script? - the text below the screen shot, in post 11. It is a sequence of commands Illustrator reads and excutes accordingly.

What and where is the Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit - a program to create/edit scripts. It comes with Illustrator, it should be in the adobe folder neighborhood.

Save what with a meaningful name. - the script

Doubleclick where and on what? - on the saved script

Does this then create a button or keystroke command in Illustrator? - it adds a menu item in Illustrator under, File->Scripts menu

Does it change the actual marquee? - no, you draw the "marque" with the Rectangle Tool

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 12:03 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

got it Monika, thanks, good to know.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to Ngaio9

great!!!!

- save the script here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5\Presets\en_US\Scripts\

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 1:58 PM   in reply to Ngaio9

I've been waiting for this feature since around 1988 or so. In my experience, every application that has a selection lasso or box works in such a way that only the items completely inside the "fence" are selected. This is the way Claris CAD, Freehand, Canvas, VectorWorks, etc. have worked and always worked. Illustrator is the only application I've ever come across where objects are selected, counter-intuitively, by everything the "fence" touches. I chuckle when I see how hard it is to explain the "inside only" concept to those who have only used AI. It's like trying to explain the wheel to people who have been dragging things around all their lives. I've been asking for it on the feature request for as long as there have been feature requests, to no avail. I used Canvas for around 10 years before coming back to AI and I was shocked that the lasso still had the crazy, backwards select-all-it-touches system. Yes, you are correct. It should work the way you expect, capturing only what is completely inside the lasso, but it doesn't. I'm up to CS4 and I think it still doesn't, not even as an option. It is just about the strangest thing in software, but there you go. So many people have used AI and nothing else that they don't notice the backwardness of it and, in fact, get used to it. It just goes to show how adaptable humans are! Other than that, it's a fine application.

MGuilfoile

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 2:11 PM   in reply to Michael Brown12

Michael we'll keep waiting another decade, in the meantime, the script does the job.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 2:15 PM   in reply to Ngaio9

Marie, we've made some progress if it shows in the Illustrator scripts menu, were you able to get it to work?

Monika/Wade, can you test if it works on a Mac please?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Works fine on my Mac (OSX 10.5.8, AICS4)

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 2:39 PM   in reply to Ngaio9

With your file open, draw a rectangle which encloses some objects entirely and cuts across others. With that object still highlighted, File>Scripts>(whatever you called the script). It should delete the object you drew and highlight only those objects entirely within the area of the object.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 2:46 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

cool, thanks Larry

Marie, maybe the problem is in what you actually saved,

you should have copied starting here

#target Illustrator

//  script.name = selectWithinRect.jsx;

then all the way down to

return "true";
              else
                   return "false";
         }

nothing else, is that what you copied?

Message was edited by: CarlosCanto

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 2:52 PM   in reply to Michael Brown12

Michael Brown12 wrote:

I've been waiting for this feature since around 1988 or so....

You want too much.

I simply want to be able to add and subtract from selection dragging the black arrow but it is not possible because it toggles the selection. I wonder who needs to toggle more than add or subtract.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 3:06 PM   in reply to emil emil

hahaha, it's only been what? 23 years of waiting....

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2011 6:42 AM   in reply to Ngaio9
    This is the way Claris CAD, Freehand, Canvas, VectorWorks, etc. have worked and always worked.

FreeHand (sensibly) provides a tool-specific option for contact-sensitve selection. Double-click the selection tool and choose whether it selects objects merely touched, or only objects fully-enclosed.

Just one tiny part of the general tedium of Illustrator's selection/manipulation interface. Basic stuff that all competing programs do better.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2011 10:14 PM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote:

This is the way Claris CAD, Freehand, Canvas, VectorWorks, etc. have worked and always worked.

FreeHand (sensibly) provides a tool-specific option for contact-sensitve selection. Double-click the selection tool and choose whether it selects objects merely touched, or only objects fully-enclosed.

Just one tiny part of the general tedium of Illustrator's selection/manipulation interface. Basic stuff that all competing programs do better.

JET

I would be opposed t this approach I would rather have a toggle I think preference is fine for a default setting but not as the only way of accessing your preference a toggle is better and I think the current behavior in AI is fine as the default. And to go further the use of the toggle and the setting of the default should be user defined.

that is the toggle should be on by default but the user can turn it off if for some reason.

This is one of the reasons I think the approach like other applications as a reason onto itself is misguide, who cares what other applications do or do not do as part of their mechanism. As long as a feature or an enhancement  or improvement of a feature is well thought out then that is al that counts.

As far as I can tell most users that use Illustrator use by choice by a vast majority changing the functions of Illustrator to match other programs that Illustrator user have rejected doesn't make much sense.

I started out with FreeHand and didn't like it I own a license to Corel's Suite for the Mac and did not like it, besides the fact that it constantly crashed.

I chose Illustrator because I got my work done, it worked for me.

I think the what is rudimental in other programs should be of no concern of Illustrator uses.

The new clipping mask behavior was ill conceived there should be a choice of how one wants the clipping mask feature work. And the same here it would be a very thoughtless act to dump one behavior for another with out thinking of the options and the needs of the vast majority of users.

I writing this here just in case someone from Adobe thinks this is a much requested feature, which it is not, but just in case they should think twice about suggesting the change.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2011 10:16 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Also also to add it to the lasso tool would make it much more useful then to just the selection tool which is confined to a rectangle selection.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 5:44 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

The Contact Sensitive setting in FH is "a toggle" (a checkbox, to be exact). It is not a general preference setting. If you really had even a working familiarity with FH, you'd know that.

You need to loose your over-sensitive adversion to any mention of FH. Adobe now OWNS FreeHand. Therefore, it does not have to worry about any copyright infringement when copying interface features from FH.

And I have never said that every FH advantage (of which there are many) should necessarily be implemented exactly as it is in FH. The functionality is what's needed. But even when trying to do that, the results fall short because Illustrator is continually hindered by its stubborn adherance to more basic inferior interface schemes upon which the new functionality is dependent. Examples include the inferior (and decades-late) implementations of aligning anchorPoints, cutting multiple anchorPoints, and extension/retraction of handles.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 8:47 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Try this again.

You miss the point.

I would elaborate but do not see the point of that.

Good luck with your quest to bring FH back from the grave.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points