Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating Trimmed Project in Project Manager

Mar 5, 2009 12:52 AM

When I select "Create New Trimmed Project", the resulting project size is exactly the same as the original project even though the sequence only uses a small fraction of the footage in the project. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2009 7:48 AM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    Size of the project file is the same or the collected media is the same size? More info.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 8:19 AM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    What kind of media are you using? For instance, DV AVIs/MOVs captured from tape can be trimmed, but any flavor of P2 MXF file (DV/DV50/DVHD) is simply copied, wholesale, without any trimming.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 8:54 AM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    Yeah, I think you're out of luck with HDV. The project manager is, unfortunately, rather limited when it comes to anything beyond SD AVI type media. Adobe's not so much to blame for this one, but more so the consortiums that decide the "standards" for this sort of thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 9:33 AM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    Yes, HDV is the same data rate as DV (25Mbps), so you're looking at about 13GB per hour of footage. Even a smallish hard drive by today's standards is going to net you HOURS of storage space. That said, individually logging clips and capturing only what you need for an edit is good practice, and can help keep you storage requirements at a minimum--with the added benefit of less footage to wade through when it actually comes time to do the edit.

Saving time at the outset of a project rarely equates to saving time once you get into the project... :)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 10:25 AM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    >when I shoot many takes of the same scene, it can be pretty hard to decide which ones are worthy of capturing.

All of them. Then use Bridge to label and choose the best.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 1:41 PM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    It'd be better because you can just capture the whole tape, no sitting and watching while it captures. No starting/stopping or shuttling of the tape.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 1:49 PM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    My typical workflow is similar to El Guero's. That gives me a hands off acquisition time, and the opportunity to do a rough cut pass as I make subclips with meaningful metadata

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 2:07 PM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    I suppose it doesn't really matter all that much. I just hate doing that kind of thing during capture. I find it much easier to deal with finite clips on a hard drive after capturing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 4:08 PM   in reply to (El_Guero)
    I also. Jim, I think we are saying the same thing, but Im saying in a more confusing manner.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 3:55 PM   in reply to (El_Guero)

Anybody know whether CS5.5 adds trim functionality to the previously problematic file types?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to James P. Brady

Answering my own question here with a link to another thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/861947

The answer for now is no.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)