Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Registration marks error

Explorer ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all,

Have a book set to A5 page size that needs to be printed at a professional printer, with registration marks.

I select an option for the Registration marks, but when the book is printed the error message of 'Registration marks will not fit on printed paper' appears. When looking at the user guide information it's mentioned that there are instances in which the printed page should be scaled down, so that the registration marks will fit on the page. This will scale down everything, which would be a problematic solution. How do you set up a page size that takes into account the registration marks?

This document is created in FM 7.2 (Windows XP), distilled with Acrobat 7.0 professional.

Many thanks for advice on this issue.

Donna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Have a book set to A5 page size that needs to be printed at a professional printer, with registration marks. I  select an option for the Registration marks, but when the book is  printed the error message of 'Registration marks will not fit on printed  paper' appears.

What is the print workflow, and more specifically, what page size are you defining in the "Printer Setup"?

When rendering to PS or PDF with regs, I suspect the logical paper size needs to be set larger than the FM document page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a book set to A5 page size that needs to be printed at a professional printer, with registration marks. I  select an option for the Registration marks, but when the book is  printed the error message of 'Registration marks will not fit on printed  paper' appears.

What is the print workflow, and more specifically, what page size are you defining in the "Printer Setup"?

When rendering to PS or PDF with regs, I suspect the logical paper size needs to be set larger than the FM document page size.

How much larger, I don't recall, not having needed to do this in the last 10 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add that the "larger" printing size probably needs to be set either to the print shop's actual paper size, or something just under that.

If you just go to the next larger ISO size (A4), it may be too big.

You may end up having to define a custom page size. On Windows 2000 and XP Pro, as I recall, this requires drilling down from the obscure "Server Properties" feature ot the Printers menu. I can't provide further detail at the moment, because the PC here is Win7, and I can't quickly find where Mr.Bill has hidden it on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donna,

I suggest creating a PDF with an A5 page size WITHOUT worrying about or turning on registration marks. Then you can add them in Acrobat. Select Advanced > Print Production > Add Printer Marks. You will get a message about the crop box. So select Advanced > Print Production > Crop Pages and select a LARGER paper size, or even a custom size that your printer prefers.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Select Advanced"...from where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Select Advanced"...from where?

In the menu bar of Acrobat Standard or Professional. I am not sure whether this is available in Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In cases like this I set the “printer” (Adobe PDF) to use A4 paper, so that the crop marks fit on. I don’t think you need to know the printing company’s paper size, because they are going to print it 16-up (12-up? 24-up?) on huge sheets, which will require a professional imposition tool anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for the delay, many thanks to all that answered!

Had to upgrade my computer and only now could check out the suggestions as they didn't work in the previous setup. But now they do! For other people who might refer to this post would like to add that my initial conceptual problem had been: If there's a setting for Registration marks, how is it that afterwards they don't fit in? After consulting with Shlomo Perets understood that the registration marks are external to the page size--as you had mentioned in your replies they don't fit in unless you print to a larger paper size. In taking the best of all worlds, decided that saving as PDF and defining in that dialog box a slightly larger page size ( ~30 mm for each margin) is the quickest method, but that's a personal preference.

Thanks again, Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines