Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best format to export 1920x1080i clips that will undergo additional editing?

May 27, 2011 10:06 AM

We have a client that brought us AVCHD MTS files to be edited.  We did some adjustments (audio, color, brightness) and some basic editing to them, but they now plan to send them to another company for final editing and DVD authoring.  What is the best format I should send them in to keep from losing any quality, but still keeping the file sizes managable?

I was thinking of outputting to h.264 M4V files, but I don't know how easily those can be edited in other systems, such as Final Cut or Vegas and I don't know what editing software this other company will be using.

Would an MPEG2 file be better?

Thanks.

*The original footage is 1920x1080i, 29.97, square pixels at an average of about 9,000 kbps.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2011 11:29 AM   in reply to Webshark2000
    best format I should send them in to keep from losing any quality, but still keeping the file sizes managable?

Those are two polar opposite targets.  Choose one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 11:40 AM   in reply to Webshark2000

=============

and I don't know what editing software this other company will be using.

============

is there any way to find out ?? Since they will go to SD with DVD authoring you have some leeway but I would talk to them if you could and ask what they prefer to edit if that's possible.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 1:05 PM   in reply to Webshark2000
    gaining any quality.

is not possible. It is about minimizing quality loss. Uncompressed, Lagarith or UT are your best options, but they will all increase file size.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 1:17 PM   in reply to Webshark2000

AVID: DNxHD is an excellent intermediate codec  for cross platform or cross facilty workflows.

Google it. Its free and there is a version for both platforms.

I know it works in Premiere, Avid and FCP.  I dont know about Vegas

You can control the file size with in it but everyone else is right about  quality vs. file size.  YOu cant have both.

Why would you worry about file size anyway?   You are handing it off and you want  your work best represented quality wise.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 2:04 PM   in reply to Webshark2000

What we're trying to say is that any compression will involve some degree of quality degradation.  To retain all the original quality of the already compressed AVCHD originals, you will have to increase the file size by a significant amount.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 3:36 PM   in reply to Webshark2000

Can I suggest you transfer the files on something like a USB Drive.  I have a WD Elements 500GB drive that cost about USD$50.00 .

Basically disposable.

Sure beats all that burning of files and organising it so that they fit on a DVD file size limit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 3:54 PM   in reply to shooternz

I don't remember the size and cost, but I signed up for Newegg sales notices a long time ago, and they have a Memorial day sale going on right now that has external drives

If the OP will go to Newegg and find their "membership" page and sign up, he will receive discount notices

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to Webshark2000

Lagarith is actually a lossless codec.  It should not degrade the quality in any way.  The same for UT codec or Uncompressed.  Any MPEG based codec, like H.264, will involve some degree of degradation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points