• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

audition cs5.5 won't start to play or record

New Here ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed audition cs5.5. I was able to open an existing mp3 file and edit it, but when i tried to open a new file to make a recording, it wouldn't respond.

This is what happened...

I clicked file - audio - new - audio file, and the editor appears. I tried to drag the "current time indicator" but it wouldn't move. I tried to click "record" and "play" but there was no response.Did I do something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2011 May 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a new file, then the only option you will have available is Record anyway - you can't play something that doesn't yet exist!

If you can play files correctly, I'd assume that you have a viable device set in Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware. What you should now check is that in Edit>Preferences>Channel Mapping there is a suitable input selected as a default input source. Without this, the transport simply won't work. Of course, if you could only edit the MP3 and not play it, then check in the Audio Hardware option and make sure that there is a supported audio device present.

Basic rule with Audition - no audio device means no transport available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soundbooth CS5 do not problem about recording when I install it . In Control Panel Window7 , playback tab Speakers is default device and recording tab is stereo mix is default . When I open Soundbooth CS5 , it will detect this configuration automatically . I can record sound on web by press record on soundbooth.

Soundbooth is the best program as same as Audition CS3 . I used the method to setup the same. It do not have problem about recording .

But Audition CS5.5 has problem about recording when I would record with setting up the same . I am very puzzle . I do not understand audition cs5.5 not same Older version . Why ? It is very difficult .

In Audio Hardware , Default Input : Stereo Mix( Realtek High Definition Audio ) Not working

Default Output: Speakers ( Realtek High Definition Audio)

Master Clock: Out:Speakers( Realtek High Definition Audio)

Latency: 200

Sample Rate: 44100 HZ

In Control Panel Sound : Sample Rate : 44100HZ 16 bit

The result is

" The selected audio device has no input channels available."

In the present , I can not solve this problem . Please help me too

In the near future  , if i can not solve this problem . I will decide to come back at Soundbooth CS5 . Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very nice for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks steve!

I just changed the hardware,and got this error message -

"The sample rates of the audio input and output devices do not match.Audio cannot be recorded until this is corrected.

Use the appropriate operation system or audio device control panel to adjust the sample rates of the input and output devices to use the same settings."

Exactly what does that mean, and how do I correct it? I'm on a windows 7 PC if that helps.

This is my Audio Hardware set up...

Device Class: MME

Default Input: Microphone(Shure Digital) ---- (I have a Shure mic plugged in to my computer)

Default Output: Speakers(Realtek High Definition) -- ( I assume since I don't have a headphone plugged in, this should be for the built in speaker?)

Master Clock: In: Microphone(Shure Digital) -- I don't understand what this master clock thing means...

Latency: 200 ms

Sample Rate: 44100 Hz

I went into my computer's "Hardware and Sound" in the Control Panel, an dunder "Sound" I was able to find Shure Microphone

Under the "Advanced" tab in "Microphone Properties", the sample rate says "1 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz

Am I missing anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Shure Mic presumably appears in the "Recording" tab in Windows Control Panel. You need to check the Advanced area after you select the Speakers in the Playback tab and make sure that the Default setting is also 44100, 16 bit.

This is the first step, so lets see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're correct - the speaker was not set to 44100, 16bit, so I changed that.

but it still doesn't work...

Now, when I click "record" or "stop", the current time indicator would start or stop moving, but absolutely no volume is registered. Not even silence. i can see from the "levels" tab below that the microphone works, because the green bar would move when there is sound input. So I know the software does work; I just can't figure out what's wrong with the setting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what is happening if the transport is moving and you have audio incoming but it doesn't record.

However, lets go back to the Windows Control Panel. In the Recording tab, you need to have the Shure Mic selected as the default recording device and you should see a small meter alongside it that shows audio when you talk. In the Playback tab, you should make sure the Speakers - Realtek or whatever are also set as Default. These two things should also appear as the default in the Audition Audio Hardware setup.

If all this happens, it should work. If it doesn't, close Audition, check the Windows Control Panel settings are as above and then restart Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now it worked!

Originally, for some reason, even though the Shure mic was already selected as the default mic, the meter wasn't responding to it at all when I talked. I went in "configure" to set up the mic,  and then restarted Audition, and then it worked. thanks fo much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great that it worked.

The general rule with anything that uses audio that goes through Windows 7 is to get the audio set up in Windows first, then start Audition.

The other thing now is to delve back into the Windows 7 Control Panel and disable Windows Sounds and any effects that Windows may be applying.

I'm afraid that with Windows 7, you will have to decide on a sample rate (as in your 44,100Hz) and set everything to default to that. If you need to record anything at, say, 48,000 Hz for audio with video, you have to set both Audition and the Windows Control Panel settings to default to 48,000Hz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the tip.

I was rather confused about that part, especially since the same microphone setup worked when i tested it in audacity, without any audio setup in the control panel. Also I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but I used the microphone with an USB adaptor(Shure X2U). There is a phantom power button on X2U, and for some reason the microphone works with or without the phantom power turned on, but when i use it in Audition, I have to turn the phantom power on in order for the sound to register. With the phantom power off the only sound rigistered in Audition is static.

But I'm still very new to Audition, so I'm sure there's plenty of things that I didn't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Shure device looks quite interesting but, assuming you are using it with an SM 57 or 58, it should work in both Audacity and Audition in a similar way and neither of those mics would have needed phantom power.

When I last used Audacity it had a simpler (and much less flexible) interface than Audition, so it may have been easier to set up.

I think the thing to do now is just to use the system and experiment. Finding your way round Windows 7 is the key to using these sort of interfaces.

On the playback side, you may find there is another control panel eg Realtek or Connexant SmartAudio. It's worth checking them as well as the Windows Control Panel to make sure they match.

It should all soon settle down and become easy to use. I hope so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh. I'm having the same problem again today, after plugging in my new Tascam US-800 interface to the computer. I checked and was pretty sure the sample rates matched(both input and output in audition and windows), but Audition still said the input and output sample rates didn't match. Also the small meter bar along the US-800 in the recording tab in windows control panel didn't seem to respond to any sound at all. As before, I tested the microphone in Audacity and everything worked fine, but it's just not working with Audition. Totally frustrating. Why does Audition have to be so complicated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

muyinmolly wrote:

Why does Audition have to be so complicated?

To provide the maximum flexibility for professional users with multichannel audio interfaces perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you absolutely certain that the default sample rates in Windows are all set to what you are using and that in every instance the asio sample rates are set to the same?

Audacity uses the MME part of the drivers and Audition normally uses the asio part. Some drivers (multi client?) seem to reflect settings from one part of the driver to the other. I think my older Tascam does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're right about Audition using ASIO driver. That was actually the other problem I encountered.When I first plugged my Tascam in, this is what I saw under audio hardware -

Device class: Asio

Driver: US-800 Asio driver  (the "settings" button next to this does not respond when I click it)

I/O Buffer size: 500 samples

Sample Rate: (grayed out and can't be changed, but I can see it is pre-set to 48000) Hz

Because I couldn't change the setting and the sample rate in Audition, I changed the sample rate in windows control panel for ALL (2 under the playback and 2 under recording tab) microphones and speakers.to 16 bit, 48000Hz. After doing so, the real time indicator still wouldn't move, so I changed the driver to MME, and changed the settings to the following...

Device class: MME

Default input:Microphone(US-800)

Default output: Speakers(Realtek High Definition Audio)

Master Clock: In: Microphone(US-800)

Latency:200 ms

Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

I was able to click the buttons like "record" and "stop" in the "transport" section, but the real time indicator wouldn't move, and no sound seemed to register under "Levels".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• (MME and CoreAudio) For Master Clock, choose the input or output to which you want other digital audio hardware to synchronize (ensuring accurate alignment of samples).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the exact same problem with Audition 5.5 (MacOS). First time it has happened with a few hours of use; I just got a new mic today (USB - Samson) and apparently plugging that in caused my settings in Audio Hardware to be changed. However, the culprit was: "Master Clock."

"Master Clock" had been changed to the USB mic, but once I changed it back to "Out: Built-in Output" / Clock Source: Internal" It worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have to say thanks to this response by beeboy re: master clock out.. for about an hour i could not get track/s to play checked settings ie: audio hardware and then masterclock  was on "in instead of out" grrr such a suttle problem drove me mad..thanks to this post i solved problem computing it annoys the hell out of me sometimes!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a Mac with OSX. But changing the clock didn't solve the problem.

Mac users should open the included application "Audio Midi Setup", click on the Buil-it Output to see the sample rate (listed as "Format"), and make sure it matches the Format listed for the microphone device.

That fixed it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem on the PC. Yesterday, when I tried to make sure sample rates between my microphone and Audition were matched, I still couldn't get the microphone to record. Then, in Audition, I selected a different input (like webcam) then put it back to my microphone device. Then it worked for me. (Quirkly, but I wrote it down in case it helps next week!) I hope you already got it resolved. Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I am having the same problem.
My input and output both do match. The first time I plugged in the USB, the recording was working, then seconds later, it wasn't. I have made sure input is at 16 bit, 44100 and also output at 16bit 44100.
I re opened audition, and made sure that I had 16bit and 44100, yet I am still receiving this error message.
Can someone PLEASE help me before I throw the laptop out the window.

Thankyou,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windowchair wrote:

Can someone PLEASE help me before I throw the laptop out the window.

Make sure the window's open first, or you'll have a lot of broken glass to clear up...

You haven't told us anything like enough about your system or how you're using it for us to offer any help at all (other than the above... ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a Windows system one of the first things is to turn off all Windows sounds since the operating system will try and grab control of your audio device and change the settings in order to play it's own "ding dongs".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition is a constant aggravation.

The previous program it replaced was a thousand times better in so many ways.

"The selected audio device has no input channels available. Do you want to open the Audio Hardware preferences?" 

- change this, change that, adjust the other, try something else and it's "The selected audio device has no input channels available. Do you want to open the Audio Hardware preferences?" again and again. I made the serious mistake of opening Audition with a customer in the editing room. I will NOT do that again.

Some days it works, some days it won't. Today it won't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines