Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 keeping track of time spent with a project

May 29, 2011 4:20 AM

I am not sure, if this would qualify as a feature request, or if there is a feture i have just not found yet.
Also i am not sure, if this is or is not a technical question.

Often i would like to know, how many hours i have already spent with one project. So is there any possibility in Premiere / and or After Effects, to see that sort of stats?
Maybe i should find the consistency to keep a book, a pen and a watch on my desk, but i find that hard at times...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to Felix Lewis

I looked through the manual, and don't see such

CS5 User Guides - online and PDF (see link in upper right corner at individual pages)
    http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

I think that would be a Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to Felix Lewis

That's an interesting idea but how to implement ? Based on "project open" isn't good enough as it might be open while you go eat a sandwich etc...or do different  " things"....( scrub to "study" footage might be a different pay rate than cutting and editing ). encoding might be another pay rate... and I can't imagine why time would be important except re: pay rates ??

I worked on rebuilding metal airplane props ( Denver ) years ago. The customer was billed according to time worked on it, so I kept a sheet of paper for the prop ( job )...with my time in and time out and description of work done.  If I was using a press and file and inclinometer ( checking angles from hub to tip at various distances ) and "fixing" those ( twisting the blade manually ), and sanding, it was all billed ... but if I put the blade(s) into a giant tank to anodize it ( which is kinda like electro plating but sucks oxygen out of aluminum allow and takes hours in the tank ) I didn't mark that time into tank and out...as it was a flat rate for that task...

Same with using magna-flux stuff to check for cracks and so on ... a flat rate...

Since exporting something is dependent on system resources ( and is competitive ) I would imagine that might be a kinda fixed rate thing in editing... anyone know for sure ???

I guess what I'm saying, it's a cool idea but is there some way to break down the time by " operations " rather than just a project being " opened "... ???

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 10:05 AM   in reply to Felix Lewis

There are a couple of separate programs, that track time in PS, AI and InDesign. I have not researched any, but assume that they just monitor the time that either the program is running, or the time that a file (think Project in PrPro) is Open. One (forget name now), allowed one to quickly break things down by project, so that each could be separately tracked, as the total runtime of the program, would not tell if one worked on projects for 5 different clients in that session. I think that the breakout by client was via hot-key. I also do not know if any of those would work in PrPro, or AE. I'll see if I can find a few links to such billing programs. I think that I've noticed a few in the ads in the back of PS User magazine.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 10:36 AM   in reply to Felix Lewis

==========

About exporting time, here that is a fixed rate or done by night, during  lunch or whatever. But this might vary from one company to the other.

=========

aha, thanks for that info....

Yeah, Bill, I was just now thinking of some clock thing on the side ...but wouldnt that slow up the computer a bit, checking the stupid clock every second or whatever ??? Probably wouldnt amount to much in the grand scheme of things, but still...

???

It's a cool idea though...like maybe a checkbox in the premiere program itself that logs time in and out of the projects... at least for overall time.. I like that idea

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to able123

Felix,

tour of editing house ( megaplayground.com )

I'm invited by director or whatever ( cool guy there ) to visit this place and get a tour etc...  through some producer I recently worked with and the show was being edited there. It's a "new" place in nyc basically, and pretty innovative apparently.

I'm just a grip and got passionate about this editing stuff with a mousey computer and know the "basics" now...but it might help me when I visit them if I had a better idea " what to ask " and " what to look for "....

You have any suggestions ???  It would be best if I went there with a list of things I want to know about, but I'm so dumb I don't know what to ask beyond those basics....  Don't know if this makes sense , but do you have any ideas ?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 12:40 PM   in reply to able123

Rod,

I have never used any of the utilities, so cannot comment on how they might/might not affect things. Also, I have seen them aimed more at the design programs, and none uses the resources, that PrPro would.

Years ago, I used to get offers from several different software companies, for such utilities. Being a one-person operation, and also not much a clock puncher, I was never interested, so never looked too closely. Now I wish that I had. Have not gotten any such ads in a few years, so maybe most are now history?

Now, a few of my old ad agency clients might have really benefitted. One was anal about time spent/job. Saw one AD's speadsheet once with entries like this:

Had coffee and thought about ad - $25.00

Bought pencil for ad - $5.00

Looked at sketch that might relate to ad - $50.00

and on it went in minute detail - just not MY style.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 1:03 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

=========

Had coffee and thought about ad - $25.00
    Bought pencil for ad -  $5.00
    Looked at sketch that might relate to ad - $50.00

==========

well, thats pretty silly....

My "timecard" for a prop was more like

2:10  straighten angles hub to 20" 3:00 out

then I would maybe go to the anodizing tank and check the amps and so on there....make sure it wasn't going to explode or something

then I would go back to the other job

3:10 straighten angles hub to 50", file, rough sand, 4:36 out

simple stuff.

I should note: faa rules ( specs ) are followed to like a 64th of an inch... if a blade is bent too much according to rules...you trash it and tell customer... , " sorry, but you bent your prop too much for us to fix it...would you like us to order a new one ? "

Most of the time it was bent cause of nosing down on the runway during landing.... and those were mostly tail drag types.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 3:48 PM   in reply to Felix Lewis

For decades, I refused to use smilies, emoticons, etc., but then there were too many misunderstandings on what was meant, and in what tone. I began using them, and now find that I miss them in some other forums. I will use "[Insert big grin here.]," etc., just so that other readers do not take any offense.

I also suffer from a problem - I have a sense of humor that is not in the mainstream. I can see how some of my comments might well be taken in the wrong spirit, and do not want that.

The various devices, however unappealing I might have found them, do seem to work better, than just leaving the reader wondering. Now, I probably overuse them. Perhaps there should be a "timer" (getting back On-Topic a bit... maybe?), where one can only use X 's in a set time frame. Sort of like Page Curl - PrPro allows only one use of that Transition, and then it disappears forever. Now, I DID see Rod got 3 uses from CS3, in his "Peel" example in a thread in the CS4 & Before forum. Guess that he had to reinstall twice?

I'm still looking for some of those "time logging" apps., but did not find any in recent PS User editions. I have them going back about 5 years, so it will just take some reading on my part. Do not know if that means they all went out of business, or if they are just placing their ads elsewhere. I also do NOT recall any mention of programs, beyond PS, AI and InDesign, but considering the publication, maybe they just targeted the PS community.

More if I can find some links, or names.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points