• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pulling info from MS SQL Server into flash with Cold Fusion

May 29, 2011 May 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

Let me start off by saying I'm in a bit of a time crunch and that I am a complete noob when it comes to MS SQL and ColdFusion.  With that said, I think what I am trying to do is very basic.  So here goes.

I have a database that is set up on a MS SQL sever.  (Which can not use PHP apperently.)  I also have a flash program.  I need to get some information from the database into the flash program Run the flash program, and then once the program has run, return some info to a different database.

This seems like its one of those tip of the iceburg simple projects, to nail down some basics, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have some basic tuts or information they can give to help me get this done in a relatively timely mannor?  If you need more information let me know I wasnt sure what to include since this is my first Cold Fusion rodeo.  Thanks for the help in advance.

K

TOPICS
Flash integration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have some basic tuts or information they can give to help me get this done in a relatively timely mannor?  If you need more information let me know I wasnt sure what to include since this is my first Cold Fusion rodeo.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Is this the sort of thing you're after: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=coldfusion+flash+tutorial&l=1

I've never used that site, but there's various odds 'n' sods in there covering Flash->CF-DB interactivity.

One thing:

I have a database that is set up on a MS SQL sever.  (Which can not use PHP apperently.)

Just by the way you're wording that makes me wonder whether you do know that you will need to have a CF server to run any CF stuff, yeah?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer wasnt very helpful and a bit on the rude side I think.  I mentioned i am completely new at this whole CF and FLASH thing.  I have googled a million things but nothing is making sense.

Anyways, could someone please let me know fro starters what are the necessary pieces I need to get this to work.  For a quick summary.  We have a MS SQL server a database with some info and a Flash program with as3.

We need to get the flash program pulling information from the database.  We found out we need to use cold fusion as the communication method instead of PHP since its MS SQL.  Can someone elaborate more on the actual connection process.  We were told we need a program called Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to manage the server.

Can someone please shed light on what else we need or what some steps are.  We need any information we can get.

Also we seem to need to know a directory path to something like flashservices/gateway/ so that flash can communicate with a Database using a CFM file?  Can someone possibly elaborate on this?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

server side you need these installed:

1) coldfusion

2) sql server

how you talk to cf/sql server depends on what you want done & how you want to do

things client side.

i don't develop clientside in pure AS3, always flex which uses remoting to talk

to cf. i suppose you could use remoting from AS3 as well but it might be easier

(remoting requires that you build coldfusion componentsCFCserverside) to use

cf's serverside AS: http://adobe.ly/jIvYEN

besides google (as adam pointed out), adobe cookbooks are a good resource:

http://cookbooks.adobe.com/home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you shed any light on the following?

"Also we seem to need to know a directory path to something like flashservices/gateway/ so that flash can communicate with a Database using a CFM file"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 5/30/2011 1:11 PM, kapelski said:

"Also we seem to need to know a directory path to something like

flashservices/gateway/ so that flash can communicate with a Database using a

CFM file"

please read those docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do this remoting, it is required to have installed Flash Remoting Components... but there is one BIG problem there; the download link for that (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashremoting/downloads/components/) is broken.  Is there some other way/place to get that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answer wasnt very helpful and a bit on the rude side I think.  I mentioned i am completely new at this whole CF and FLASH thing.  I have googled a million things but nothing is making sense.

In what way was it not helpful?  You asked for tutorials about using CF to facilitate Flash interactiving with a DB, and I pointed you to a bunch of them.  So that's what you asked for.  You might be annoyed that I suggested you use Google (and perhaps also my implicit suggestion that it was a pretty obvious step you should have already attempted).  Like it or not, it's a good suggestion.  You didn't mention you'd already tried to find things, did you?  Trust me, a lot of people post here without it ever having occurred to them to try to find out for themselves, and you simply seemed to be yet another one.  I was basing this assessment on the information you had provided.

If the things you've looked at don't make sense to you, this is a different issue.  Doing this Flash stuff is not a completely straight forward thing.  You are going to need to learn to how to use the tools involved as separate pieces, and only then attempt to get them to work together.  It's not the sort of thing that you're gonna be able to find a 10min tutorial to teach you the whole lot.  I think you're expectations are off here.

Anyways, could someone please let me know fro starters what are the necessary pieces I need to get this to work.  For a quick summary.  We have a MS SQL server a database with some info and a Flash program with as3.

We need to get the flash program pulling information from the database.  We found out we need to use cold fusion as the communication method instead of PHP since its MS SQL.

I can't speak for the Flash side of things, but as I mentioned before, you will need a ColdFusion server if you want to execute CF code.

Also the comment about not being able to use PHP because it's MS SQL is complete nonsense.  What was the reasoning behind that?

Basically you're asking a very broad question, and you're a bit too early in the process to be asking questions on forums.  Anyone answer your question as to how to get all this configured is basically just going to be parroting the docs back to you.

Anyway, I'm not gonna be much chop helping you with the Flash side of things as I don't use Flash, however if you have questions about the CF side of things, I'll try to answer them.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation