• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X and Windows 7 - Adobe Reader has stopped working

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Reader X yesterday (2/15/2011). Today I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. My operating system is Windows 7. EVERY TIME I exit Adobe Reader X, this message pops up, which requires me to cancel or wait, Adobe Reader has stopped working. This is really frustrating as I am unable to find a solution to this problem on the internet. Additionally, Adobe Reader X is the ONLY version of Adobe Reader offered on the Adobe website (unless I am not looking in the right place).

Anybody have a suggestion as to the solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite strange behavior. Did you face any problem while installation of Reader X? Do you face this problem only while exiting from Reader? Did you try repair from Add Remove Programs?

You can try Reader lower versions which you can download from below link

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to v9.4.0. I think I will continue to use this version until my problem is solved with X. As I mentioned in the initial post, I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and the same problem occured. I was surprised that nobody else posted the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to say "thanks" to Inayal, too, for posting that link to Adobe 9.4.  It worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True - me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the Event Viewer show as the cause of the crash?  I am seeing a slightly different problem.  I installed Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) on February 16th.  Over the last few days, I noticed that it crashes all by itself if I leave it up for more than 45 seconds.  The Event Viewer shows:

Faulting application AcroRd32.exe, version 10.0.1.434, time stamp 0x4d456f48, faulting module WININET.dll, version 8.0.6001.19019, time stamp 0x4d0c5473, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002387b, process id 0x1cd8, application start time 0x01cbd4f5394c39e0.

I have not had a chance to do basic problem determination (reboot, re-install).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrdavie: If error message is seen only when you exit Adobe Reader X are you able to view PDF files without any issue? can you provide the crash log?

NH12345: How did you update Reader to 10.0.1? can you provide the crash log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem as MrDavie.I've "chatted" to user support but all they could do was create me an account and send me here! Anyone got any answers yet? Seems crazy to have to go back to v.9...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted to v9 and am just fighting Adobe's upgrade agent to prevent X from being

reinstalled on my computer. This problem is clearly in the ball park of the developers. If they monitor these forums, someone should have the courtesy

to acknowledge or deny this problem, letting us know if they care at all about our plight.

And while they are at it, perhaps someone at Adobe could get this forum website to respond a little more quickly. I would think it is embarassing to Adobe to have such a slow site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Adobe are amongst the big boys and should do better. I have also reverted to 9 and all is well. Some programmer will hang...

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2011 Feb 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Adobe are amongst the big boys and should do better. I have also reverted to 9 and all is well. Some programmer will hang...

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem.  I have Windows 7 SP1 and Adobe Reader X.  Whenever I click on a link

on a page or from an email, it either says "Done" at the bottom of IE or it says Adobe has stopped working.  I can't open any PDF files.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and also repairing the Reader X to no avail.

I'm going to try the Adobe Reader 9.40 installation provided on this page.  This is definitely a problem with Reader X because my older version of Reader worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post crash log? It will be helpful for further investigation.Do you face this issue with only when trying PDF in browser or this issue comes every time? What are the other applications installed on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soz - have now uninstalled all and replaced with v. 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inayal/arun  aneja, I was able to view and work with PDF files, both in the standalone Adobe Reader X and inside the browser.  The failure occurred in both situations about 60 seconds after Adobe Reader X started.  A typical crash log from the Event Viewer:

Faulting application AcroRd32.exe, version 10.0.1.434, time stamp 0x4d456f48, faulting module WININET.dll, version 8.0.6001.19019, time stamp 0x4d0c5473, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002387b, process id 0x191c, application start time 0x01cbd9ad95e69f80.

The Microsoft report file contains:

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=129436354358930000
ReportType=2
Consent=1
UploadTime=129436354389670000
Response.BucketId=2303000903
Response.BucketTable=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=AcroRd32.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=10.0.1.434
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=4d456f48
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=WININET.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=8.0.6001.19019
Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
Sig[5].Value=4d0c5473
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c0000005
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=0002387b
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=4105
DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Information 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=0189
DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Information 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=48867dbac0f9ee295824c6b4cfbd4b48
DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Information 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=f552
DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Information 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=077bffeac03636fe75463ca56825dacd
UI[2]=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
UI[3]=Adobe Reader  has stopped working
UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.
UI[5]=Check online for a solution and close the program
UI[6]=Check online for a solution later and close the program
UI[7]=Close the program
State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
State[0].Value=1
FriendlyEventName=Stopped working
ConsentKey=APPCRASH
AppName=Adobe Reader
AppPath=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Strangely, the problem disappeared sometime after 09:17 yesterday for no reason that I can see.  I rebooted my laptop later that day and the problem has not yet re-occurred.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit with the latest maintenance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've gone back to v 9 and all's well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have had the same experience.

An alternative is http://www.nitroreader.com/

You can enter text and add highlights to .pdf files with this appication.

If Adobe reads their own forum, seeing their competition recommended might get their attention. : - )

If not, you still win.   : - ))

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After weeks of struggling this solution works well.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Currently X is working.

I uninstalled with the windows control panal

I manually tracked down every version of reader and removed

I used the easy cleaner program to remove last traces of the programs

I uninstalled Adobe Air using the same methods

I then reinstalled X

Crossing my fiingers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, windows task manager said adobe x not working,  I kept the program running and after a 10 minute delay , voila , it is working. I have no idea what happened but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to 9.4 and all is working!  Thanks, lnayal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrdavie - as lnayal also asked, are you able to see pdf files properly? Is the issue seen only when exiting from Reader? Is it the same behavior in browser too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the exact same problem.  I can only open a link to a pdf by saving it first

on my computer.  Then when I close the article, it tells me it has stopped working and it searches for a solution but there is none.

I've also tried to repair it from within the program but that did not fix anything.

So it looks like the only fix is to go back to an old version and ignore the update pestering.

Also agree that this site is HORRIBLY slow.  I couldn't get into any forum topic this afternoon it was so slow.  Tonight it eventually goes into the topice but it is super slow.  Something is not working with your site as well as your program Adobe!

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, folks, I found a quick and easy solution to this major annoyance:

• Right-click the icon that Adobe Reader X leaves on the Desktop.
  • Select "Properties" from the dropdown menu.
  • Click the "Compatibility" tab.
  • Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:".
  • Select "Windows Vista" in the dropdown menu.
  • Click the buttons for "Apply" and "OK".
  • Adobe Reader X now opens and runs without any problem.

Evidently, Adobe programmers are still primarily targeting Windows Vista instead of Windows 7 (probably because Vista still outnumbers 7 in installations...go figure).

I'm positively flabbergasted that no one else, either at Adobe or Microsoft, seems to have noticed this straightforward route to a solution and posted it on the Web. You can Google for hours (I did!) and not run across any such obvious fix.

Cheerio!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines