• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the correct procedure to install a TCS application not included in the initial installation?

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can go through the installation procedure to the point when I've switched to the 2nd DVD. Setup resumes and a few seconds later states that no application was installed.

I'm adding Captivate to my initial installation of FM9, Acrobat9 and Photoshop. I'm not uninstalling them first. Should I? Why?

The initial installation was a year ago. The OS is Windows 7.

TIA

Douglas

TOPICS
Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate's been part of the TCS since version 1 - what versions were you starting from and going to? I'm not familiar with installing TCS over point product components - you may have to deactivate them, uninstall them, and reactivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TCS 2.0 (including FM9). I'm not starting from or going to any version.

I'm adding the application to the existing installation, not upgrading.

If I were upgrading, I'd deactivate, uninstall and reactivate. In my

case, I could see going for the reinstall option, but have FrameMaker

plugins that I don't want to reinstall as well. I admit that I may have

to though.

Thanks for you answer.

Best regards,

Douglas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you already have TCS2 but didn't install the full suite the first time around? So now you just want to add Captivate? I believe in that case you just select it off the list. The installer skips all the ones that you haven't selected and only does the one you have. I think Captivate is on the 2nd DVD (at least it was on the TCS2.5 upgrade one I got), so you may have to start with that one first.

Another option (because some have reported issues with installing from DVD) is to copy the contents of both DVDs to a temp folder on your hard drive and start the install from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Douglas - blank post came through

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On 06/01/2011 10:12 PM, Jeff_Coatsworth wrote:

So you already have TCS2 but didn't install the full suite the first time around? So now you just want to add Captivate? I believe in that case you just select it off the list. The installer skips all the ones that you haven't selected and only does the one you have. I think Captivate is on the 2nd DVD (at least it was on the TCS2.5 upgrade one I got), so you may have to start with that one first.

Yes, I just want to add Captivate. I've been successfully doing the  canonical installation (DVD1 > setup (autoplay wouldn't work due  according to the error message to a  Unicode error in the lang.dat file)  up to the switch to DVD2.
As far as starting from DVD2 is concerned, there's no setup file on it  to launch. So that route is out.

Another option (because some have reported issues with installing from DVD) is to copy the contents of both DVDs to a temp folder on your hard drive and start the install from there.

Copying DVD2 to the HD might be a solution. Unless data is somehow  corrupted on DVD2, but in that case, why did the original installation  succeed?

Thanks again for your prompt answers.

Best regards,

Douglas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines