Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign 5.5 - EPUB export - Table of Contents weirdness

Jun 1, 2011 7:16 AM

I'm using the latest epub tools in ID5.5 to create a Kindle edition of a fairly simple textbook.

The exported MOBI file works fine in Kindle Viewer, Reader, and actual Kindle 3G. But unfortunately, I can't get a proper TOC -- all 3 readers report "no TOC."

The TOC is generated inside InDesign as expected, and after export to EPUB it's the first page when you open the book, and the links all work. You can jump to the cover picture, and to the "beginning" (which is the TOC, since it's the first page after the cover), but the TOC button is greyed out. In Viewer, the NCX view works as well.

Inside InDesign, the TOC is listed in the Articles panel, in a separate story that contains nothing else. The TOC story is not linked to any other stories.

Shouldn't InDesign export both an NCX TOC and an HTML TOC from the TOC in the document?

After a lot of reading the Kindle Pub Guidelines, and the slim docs  on ID5.5 epub, and a whole lot of experimentation with para styles, doc  structure, and export options, I've been unable to get the dual TOC  required by Kindle (NCX and HTML).

Any info on what I'm missing or doing wrong would be most welcome. I posted this on InDesign Secrets several days ago, but nobody had any ideas.

I can start manually editing the HTML for the EPUB file, but I thought ID was supposed to have this working in 5.5. Is this not the case? If not, is there any documentation on the hand-work one must do to fix ID's EPUB output for Kindle?

Thanks,

Allen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2011 8:00 AM   in reply to ashtangakasha

If you can't get an answer here (since many of us are still learning to create EPUB and Kindle content), try asking at the MobileRead forums:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

I've created EPUB files but haven't yet convert them to Mobi format.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2011 8:48 AM   in reply to ashtangakasha

While EPUB export has been going on for a few years, it's mostly been in the hands of CSS and XHTML techies. It's not been widely exported out of InDesign without a lot of knowledge and a lot of postprocessing.

I'm sure in a couple years, it will be a lot more sorted out. You won't get the kind of help you need for Adobe tech support. Those folks don't really deal with what happens to the files after they're exported.

You'll find it here or on the MobileRead Forum. You'll also find good resources mentioned if you look for previous EPUB postings to the book by Elizabeth Castro, webinars by Gabriel Powell, and Lynda.com videos by Anne-Marie Concepcion. Things are changing very fast and you'll have to do some research and digging to get your answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2011 9:44 AM   in reply to ashtangakasha

Trust me, I know what you're going through because I am going through it myself.

Here's one of the little stumbling blocks I ran into, and overcame with the help of some experts:

Creating EPUB in InDesign CS5.5: Beware the WebKit Bug!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 12:50 AM   in reply to ashtangakasha

ashtangakasha wrote:

After this much learning and relearning, I think I might have done the whole thing more easily with a good explanation of how to create the raw files. This HTML stuff LOOKS ugly, but with good step-by-step instructions I'm not sure it would be any more confusing than trying to sort out these new "user friendly" tools that are still so rough around the edges.

I'm starting to rummage around on MobilRead.com. It appears to range from people who just bought their first eBook reader to serious CSS hackers. Should prove helpful.

Thanks for your input,

Allen

Here is a step by step write up I did for CS3

Although it's for CS3 all the principles and stuff to add are all the same, and I think it's a best outcome for epub

it also sets up the epub for kindle (.mobi) conversion.

It talks about using the book feature, which I think is the best way, because if the xhtml file goes over 300kb in size you will get errors in you validation.

Hope this help and points you in the right direction. If you have any questions, Let me know and I'll try to help you out...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123439

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 9:27 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Steve Werner wrote:

Trust me, I know what you're going through because I am going through it myself.

Here's one of the little stumbling blocks I ran into, and overcame with the help of some experts:

Creating EPUB in InDesign CS5.5: Beware the WebKit Bug!

Steve, after reading this post I just had a job come back with this exact issue. It's the only job I have done in 5.5 and the last for now...

Thanks for posting this. It saved me hours of research.

Thanks...this is me going back to CS3 where everything is greener...

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2011 1:49 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Hey, Steve, it's not really very fair to call this a "WebKit bug." It's not a bug! WebKit is just honoring the specification as written! It's simply not allowed to have a ­ in there. Just bceause some browsers let you do it doesn't mean it's allowed! It's an InDesign bug, plain aind simple.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Apr 4, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to ashtangakasha

My workflow is different from yours, since I am not making "an epub for Kindle," but rather generating an epub for whatever devices use them from ID, and then generating a mobi from ID.

I too experienced huge frustration trying to get a TOC to work, first in epub, then in mobi. It is obvious ID is still extremely buggy in this regard, but in the end I got a TOC in both formats.

For epub, I renamed my ID files as I wanted them to appear in the epub TOC, and did not select the export option for using the ID TOC. I had a separate file for each document in the ID book, including Cover and Title Page etc. The export grabbed all the file names and made a nice navigable index/TOC on the left side.

For mobi (Kindle), things were more difficult, as the hyperlink features in ID are untsable and buggy. For the mobi export, I created Anchor Text hyperlink destinations for each document in the book at the start of the document text (not the top of the page, mind you -- ID is exceedinly finicky about a number of things in setting up hyperlinks). Then manually typed and formatted a TOC document (did NOT generate one within ID using Layout>TOC). I then selected each individual item in the TOC document and created New Hyperlink for each, linking to the named Anchors previously set up. Note, I did not have a TOC item for the TOC itself. (I also removed the Cover document from the book to avoid the double cover in mobi.)

I found I needed to have all documents open and all selected in the book panel, book synched and saved, to get a successful export with the TOC document showing up active in Kindle, and all links working. Part of ID's instability was that ANY error in the TOC document and its hyperlinks and destination anchors, NONE of the links were navigable in Kindle.And errors would appear in the hyperlink panel for no reason I could guess. Using it was challenging to say the least. ;-)

Hope this works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 10:34 PM   in reply to ashtangakasha

Here is a free ebook conversion tool for you.

You can easily convert your ebook from mobi to epub.

Free Online Ebook Converter

It provides you with the best mobi to epub converting experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to ashtangakasha

I had this exact same problem and this is how I finally fixed it:

• Built the TOC in InDesign (I actually have two, one for print with the page numbers and one for EPUB, no page numbers).
    • Export to EPUB, choose the EPUB table of contents in the export dialog—this will automatically replace the print version that is placed in the document.
    • And then — and here's the trick — get the app Sigil and go to Tools > Table of Contents > Create HTML Table of Contents. This will use the same structure to build your TOC and you can edit it super easily (no code knowledge required). Then save this EPUB.

Now you will have two TOCs — one that works with the Kindle functionality and one that is placed inline in your document. I opted to leave both for reasons that aren't interesting to this thread — but you could create articles for each section and just tell your TOC to not export.

This is how I was able to have ONE master document that I use for print, interactive PDF and EPUB. I never did find a way for my document that came out of InDesign to get the Kindle TOC functionality working without running it through Sigil. It's an extra step, but really not too bad (beats spending the 6 hours I blew trying to figure it out). Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to shockpuppetslc

You just have to add this line to your Content.opf file to get the TOC working in Kindle:

</spine>

<guide>

<reference type="cover" title="my-cover-image" href="cover.xhtml"/>

<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="frontmatter02.xhtml"/>

</guide>

</package>

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points