Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
daboss007
Currently Being Moderated

Getting RAM issue with Pixel Bender

May 19, 2011 9:49 PM

Hello all,

I have gone through the treads and I can't find a solution to this issue.  I am on a Mac book pro 2.8 GHz intel Core 2 Duo Processor with 4gigs of RAM and when I try to use pixel bender it gives me a RAM error.  I also have 300gigs of VM.  I have not found the answer yet.   Can anyone help?  Sorry if this was answered.  I could not find it.  Also, I have just upgraded to CS5.  I installed the pixel bender for CS5.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2011 10:10 PM   in reply to daboss007

Which version of Photoshop, 32- or 64-bit, are you running? Are you processing on the CPU or the GPU in the Pixel Bender plugin? And just to be clear, you are seeing this problem in the Pixel Bender plugin for Photoshop CS5 correct?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 10:20 PM   in reply to daboss007

When do you encounter the out-of-memory error? When installing the plugin via Extension Manager CS5? When launching Photoshop CS5? When launching the Pixel Bender plugin in Photoshop CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 3:01 PM   in reply to daboss007

What version of Mac OS X are you running? What graphics card are you using and how much video memory is on the graphics card? What are the dimensions in pixels of the image you are trying to process? What is the bit depth of the image you are trying to process?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 4:10 PM   in reply to daboss007

Are you sure the second graphics card (the one with 512MB VRAM) is not a 9600M (instead of 9400M)? Regardless, I would expect the plugin to work for your setup. Are you possibly running any custom OS extensions or input managers? Is the "Adobe Photoshop CS5" folder located within the "Applications" folder? Have you applied all software updates including those provided by Apple and Adobe? Is there anything unusual about your system? Have you tried rebooting recently? I'm grasping for straws at this point because you should really not be getting an out-of-memory error in the scenario you listed. The problem is most likely not related to a lack of memory despite what the error message says.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 4:09 PM   in reply to daboss007

Keeping CS4 around should, in theory, not cause any problems. I've been running CS4 and CS5 together without any problems but that doesn't mean you're not running into a case where they don't play nicely. That said, I don't believe the problem is CS4 versus CS5 at this time. Do you still see the error if you run Photoshop and the plugin in 32-bit mode? Do you see any Photoshop-related messages in the Console when you encounter the error?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 5:57 PM   in reply to daboss007

"Console.app" is located at inside the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. In Console, select "All Messages" under "DATABASE SEARCHES", click "Clear Display", launch Photoshop, run the plugin, and then report any messages that are written to Console during that period. I'm not expecting much but just want to make sure.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 8:39 PM   in reply to daboss007

Okay that definitely helps. Did you rename the Photoshop folder to "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1" or did the installer do that? Is there another folder within your applications folder named "Adobe Photoshop CS5"? If so, would you please list the contents of that folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 8:56 PM   in reply to daboss007

Okay, there's definitely a bug on our side here. I'm guessing the libraries you need in order to run the plugin are in some folder within your Applications directory. You could rename the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1" folder to "Adobe Photoshop CS5", rerun the Pixel Bender plugin installer (you will probably need to uninstall the plugin within Extension Manager before rerunning the Pixel Bender plugin installer), and then rename "Adobe Photoshop CS5" back to "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1".

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 10:56 PM   in reply to daboss007

Oh that's really lame; I'm sorry that it does that. Well I don't have any real good solutions right off, but how about trying this:

1. Launch "Extension Manager CS5".

2. Uninstall the Pixel Bender plugin extension.

3. Quit "Extension Manager CS5".

4. Launch "Terminal.app" withi the "Utilities" folder in the "Applications" folder.

5. Copy and paste, "cd /Applications" (without the quotes), at the command prompt in "Terminal.app".

6. Copy and paste, "ln -s Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5.1 Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5" (without the quotes), at the command prompt in "Terminal.app".

7. Launch "Extension Manager CS5".

8. Install the Pixel Bender plugin extension.

9. Quit "Extension Manager CS5".

10. Launch Photoshop.

11. Run the Pixel Bender plugin.

Let me know if this works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 1:28 PM   in reply to daboss007

I'm getting the same error with a MacBook Pro 3,1 with a 128MB NVIDIA 8600M and 4GB of RAM. The symlink trick didn't work for me either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 3:53 PM   in reply to daboss007

Sorry to hear it didn't work. Would you please list the contents of the Applications folder as well as the Frameworks folder within the Photoshop package.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 4:20 PM   in reply to unique_screenname_here

Ok, I actually just solved it! For some reason, the installer put the frameworks in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1/Adobe Photoshop CS5.app/Contents/Frameworks. I just moved everything in that folder over to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1.app/Contents/Frameworks and it now works

Copying this into terminal (without the quotes) should fix it:

"mv /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5.1/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5.app/Contents/Frameworks/* /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5.1/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5.1.app/Contents/Frameworks/"

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 7:07 PM   in reply to mackgoodstein

Yep, that sounds about right and was what I was trying to determine when I asked, "Is there another folder within your applications folder named 'Adobe Photoshop CS5'?" However, I figured the plugin installer would create a separate "Adobe Photoshop CS5" folder within the Applications folder. It sounds like the installer is instead creating an "Adobe Photoshop CS5.app" package within the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1" folder. Good eyes, mackgood, and thanks for reporting your findings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 8:21 PM   in reply to daboss007

You can manually correct this problem using the following procedure:

1. Open the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1" folder located within the Applications folder.

2. Control-click (right-click) the "Adobe Photoshop CS5" package and select "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.

3. Navigate to the "Frameworks" folder within the "Adobe Photoshop CS5" package.

4. Control-click (right-click) the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1" package and select "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.

5. Navigate to the "Frameworks" folder within the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1" package.

6. Copy or move the contents of the "Frameworks" folder from step three to the "Frameworks" in step five.

Message was edited by: unique_screenname_here

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 7:21 PM   in reply to daboss007

daboss007 and mackgood would one of you please post the full text of the error message that you were encountering. I am going to create a sticky post to help others with this problem until we can get the issue resolved. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 8:30 PM   in reply to daboss007

Try the symbolic link trick and see if the installer writes the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.app" package into the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1" folder then.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 8:31 PM   in reply to daboss007

Thanks for posting the error message, daboss007.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 8:34 PM   in reply to daboss007

You might also try searching your harddisk for "Adobe Photoshop CS5.app".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 9:06 PM   in reply to daboss007

daboss007, would you please expound on what changes you made between your last two posts in order to get the "Adobe Photoshop CS5.app" package installed on your machine. This will help others who face this same problem. Thanks.

P.S. Glad to hear the plugin is now working for you. Happy filtering.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points