Skip navigation

Your disk copy of image was changed since last opened or saved (Mac OS)

Jan 3, 2012 12:33 PM

Latest reply: Chris Cox, Oct 21, 2012 1:00 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2011 7:16 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

I use FAP.

My assumption has always been that this was due to the temporary naming via Photoshop of "Vector Smart Objectx.ai". I believe that the file once it is placed into PS is then reopened for the first time in AI and possibly the reuse of the naming is at issue?

FAP auto-activation works with AI/PS quite well and I don't see this notice unless it comes from an SO, and then it's not consistent and/or repeatable.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to - JM -

The modification notice in Illustrator is a miscommunication between Illustrator and Photoshop teams.  Photoshop needs to trim off extra pages, but AI expects the whole file intact.  We're still working on it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

thanks Chris

what's the appropriate response? discard or keep?

and what am I discarding or keeping?

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 11:05 AM   in reply to - JM -

We're still not entirely sure what the Illustrator team means by that message.

Photoshop has removed pages and unused parts of the file, but we can't trim or modify the Illustrator custom information and it detects that the file has been modified.

What part are they keeping or discarding?  We don't know.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 11:34 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I've always gone with the default for the dialog which is to discard the changes.... sounds counterintuitive but I haven't noticed any problems or lost data.

no problem, it's easy to dismiss the dialog. Have a great weekend.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 11:37 AM   in reply to caligula1

Have "sort of" been following this thread and I just saw something interesting on a Peach Pit TV video.

Check it out  at 3:05:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rv4f554C6s&feature=player_embedded#at= 10

I looks like Matt gets the same dialog box that we do and it LOOKS like he ignores it. What do you all think?

Elaine

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 2:03 PM   in reply to caligula1

Exactly! I was so surprised when I saw that, especially when he made no comment about it and just seemed to ignore it, as I do :~) It hadn't happened for a while, but it did last night!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 2:06 PM   in reply to caligula1

What does it matter if it is more common?

That video shows the alert displayed out of context. We cannot tell if Matt already had the file open in Photoshop. We cannot tell if the screencast was unedited.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 2:42 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Oy vey. I guess it's just me being clueless again :~) But why do you think it's out of context?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 3:08 PM   in reply to caligula1

There does not seem to be an unwillingness from Adobe to look at the problem. Adobe cannot investigate something it cannot see. Those in this discussion that see this problem have been unable to report what process is tweaking their file. Unless you want to send your system to Adobe, there is not much that they can do.

This topic is not new. There have been many others like it that are unfortunately hidden with this forum's malfunctioning search. Try Google for much more explanation on the topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 3:25 PM   in reply to caligula1

>Adobe cannot investigate something it cannot see.

I agree, but there are bugs that Adobe can reproduce that have been overlooked for the past couple releases, so it's reasonable to think that they do need to allocate resources to bigger bugs, new features and new releases. This would be true of any business. It would be great to think that any bug that can be reproduced is going to be fixed but that hasn't been the case.

Fixing bugs doesn't generate as much money as maintaining a constant release schedule. But generating new dollars keeps the guys/gals around to fix the old bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 5:45 PM   in reply to caligula1

We have investigated, and found that the file was modified by applications outside of Photoshop just like the message says.

When we test it on our systems without those other applications, we never get the warning because nothing else is modifying the files.

If the file was already open in photoshop and then opened and modified in camera raw, it shouldn't trigger a message about the disk copy being changed, right?

That depends on your settings in ACR. Yes, it could change the file on disk with the right settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2011 2:35 AM   in reply to caligula1

Last night i did a full install from scratch because i was fet op with this error and now its back

Fresh 10.6.7 install and only Adobe Suite CS4 and Suite CS5.5 and now its back..

So nothing in my system other that Apples and Adobes in there now. Not even a plugin ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2011 3:41 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

Hi Mugge

> It only happen when working over network. Not on the local disk.

If you cleaned off your working drive and have the same problems, what are the specs for this network drive that you are saving to?

On a clean install why are you reinstalling CS4?

Do you have the problem if Bridge is not running?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2011 5:06 AM   in reply to - JM -

Hi there.

It is not a network drive. We have 3 computers (Mac Pro) connected in a network and the internal drives in one of the computers are the storage drive.

Lets call them. Computer 1,2 and 3 and computer 1 is the main computer with all the files on a internal drive (2TB SATA II HD)

So we work on the files from all 3 computers and when i sometimes work on computer 2 or 3 with a images. I get this error message when saveing.

Ofcause no one else is touching the file i work on (Then that would be why it comes) so thats not the reason.

Then some days ago i bought a external Firewire 800 Raid 0,1,5 case and moved the storage drives in to that case for safety (Raid mirror now) and

it works great but we still have the same error message. So both on the old internal system and also now with external drives.

I just installed both CS4 and CS5 so i could keep on working if something happen or CS5 woulden work right.

Actually i never tried working with out Bridge running also. Photoshop and Bridge is always running together when i work because it is so much easier

to located the image i need in Bridge instead of in photoshop (Open file) and before we upgraded the computers to 10.6.x from 10.5.x i never saw this

error. It all started after 10.6 Snow Leo. I dont think its because of Snow Leo because others also have the problem on 10.5.x Leopard.

Specs.

3 Mac Pro 8-Core 2008 with internal drives. 16GB of ram. Mac OS X 10.6.7 in 2 and 10.5.8 in the third.

All 3 computers are attached to a 10/100/1000 switch so everyone have access to the files/images.

Before last week the files was stored on the internal drive on Computer 1 but now the files are stored on a external firewire 800 case (Raid Mirror)

No matter what i do i get this message ones in a wile. The funny thing is. It is not every day. Yesterday i was working all day and it never came.

Today it did ??? Really weird.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2011 5:48 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

>then some days ago i bought a external Firewire 800 Raid 0,1,5 case and moved the storage drives in to that case for safety

this new RAID is directly connected to your computer via Firewire, or attached to the networked computer?

you may have already mentioned this... does the save error occur on the other computers too?

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2011 1:11 PM   in reply to caligula1

The setattrlist calls only happen when Photoshop is saving the file. Setattrlist is not a process, but a function in the OS that sets files attributes.

That's how the file system sets things like the file name, file type, etc.

You were using fs_usage, and the format of the report is:

time_stamp     file_operation     file path     time_taken     Flags     Process_Name

It sounds like your apple technician confused the file operation with the process name.

Yes, the Dropbox calls are disturbing -- it is getting info on files that are nowhere near it's directories.

dbfseventsd also appears to be a Dropbox related service, and also getting info on files nowhere near the Dropbox directory.  (are you sure you didn't set Dropbox to use the whole disk by mistake?)

The MacOS spotlight (mds) code is also getting info on the temporary file.

Dropbox and spotlight should be ignoring all files in the /tmp and /TemporaryItems directories.  Those are bugs, but probably not causing this issue.

And Bridge opens the file to create a thumbnail after it has been closed by Photoshop, but does not write to the file.

Unfortunately, what you show here is just the time around the Photoshop save (between open and rename), and not much of what happens AFTER Photoshop saves the file when changes are being made.  In the second log, we can see backupd open the file, but we don't see everything it did with the file.

Also, it would be much easier to read if we had the text version instead of downsampled screen captures.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2011 3:20 PM   in reply to caligula1

That's the Dropbox account settings, not advanced.  Under advanced it should show the location of the dropbox folder, which defaults to a folder inside your home account (~/Dropbox).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2011 4:05 PM   in reply to caligula1

According to that log, backupd (TimeMachine) is backing up and modifying the temporary files -- and it shouldn't go near /temp or /TemporaryItems.

In one case it starts reading a file *while* Photoshop is still saving that file.

In some cases, it is modifying the temporary file (setattrlist).

And there are several examples of Dropbox and dbfseventsd sniffing files that it shoudn't be (also in temp directories).

dbfseventsd also appears to be sniffing file changes on the Time Machine backup volume.  I double checked - it is part of Dropbox (/Library/DropboxHelperTools/...), not part of the OS - but it's monitoring every file written, everywhere.  That's really sloppy, and might be slowing down my system.  Ugh, I may have to uninstall Dropbox.

The players:   Photoshop, Bridge, Dropbox, Time Machine, Spotlight, Finder

Photoshop creates a temp file, writes to the temp file, and renames the temp to replace the original file, plus gets stat on the files.

Bridge only reads the file, and writes to it's database.

Finder gets attributes on the file in the normal folders.

Dropbox gets stat on the files from 2 different processes (Dropbox, dbfseventsd), even outside it's directory, even in temporary directories.

Spotlight (mdworker, mds) gets stat, and reads the files, even in temporary directories, sometimes while the file is still being written.

Time Machine (backupd) gets stats, reads the files, and sometimes sets attributes on the files, even in temporary directories.

Photoshop, Bridge and Finder are acting as expected.

While Dropbox and Spotlight are doing some excess work, they don't seem to cause file modifications.

But Time Machine is doing things wrong and causing file modifications, plus would fit with the "have the file open a long time" symptom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2011 4:18 PM   in reply to caligula1

Not quite, I wanted the location of the top level Dropbox folder.

But on my own system I've confirmed that Dropbox and dbfseventsd will get stats on files outside the Dropbox folder.

Dropbox has some bugs to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2011 4:48 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

How I long for the days of Panther's elegance and simplicity, before obnoxious, intrusive junk like Spotblight, Dashboard, Time Machine, Spaces, Exposé, etc. were introduced by Apple…

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2011 8:18 PM   in reply to caligula1

Yeah, that's what I wanted, it's in your user directory.

But, again, I already tested it on my system and found it monitors ALL file IO, regardless of location.

Looks like someone took a brute force approach to making Dropbox work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 3:59 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi.

I also have Dropbox installed but it never runs. I only start it when needed at quits it after.

But as i remember it it happen before installing Dropbox and i never use Time Machine or Spotlight.

Both are turned completely of with Cocktail ?

But i will give it a try and uninstall Dropbox totally and see if that helps. But i dough it because as

i remember it, it also happen before un-installing Dropbox.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

Well, the only way to find out what is modifying the files is to use fs_usage on the command line while working in Photoshop.

But the results are not an easy thing to read (as you can see above).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 2:36 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Alright.

Last night i uninstalled Dropbox completely on the computer where all the files are stored on.

No effect. Still the same so i guess Dropbox is out of the discussion ?

Ofcause restarted and did a total maintance with Cocktail after

I think the biggest problem with this is when the message comes if you just press "Ok" to safe anyway.

The latest stuff made on the pictures is not always saved since last saving ! Thats my problem.

Sometimes it saves everything and sometimes it doesn't and all the stuff you made since last save will be lost

Thats why i mostly do a "save as" and then saves it to another location when the message comes just to be 100%

and then after copying to the right location at the end. Lots of extra work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 11:24 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

Yeah, I don't think dropbox is the problem.

But I haven't been able to reproduce the pattern of file access you see from backupd on my 10.5.8 or 10.6.7 machines.

When you save, Photoshop is saving what you have in memory at that time.  And unless the save fails (and gives you an error), that is what should be in the file.  If something is lost, then it was most likely a problem with the file system outside of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 10:45 AM   in reply to caligula1

It's possible, but without reproduceable steps (or a file access log), I can't be sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2011 8:13 AM   in reply to caligula1

Hi.

I really don't think its Dropbox because one week back when i saw your where talking about Dropbox i deleted everything from Dropbox and i still

have the error sometimes. Its funny because yesterday i tried to active the "auto-update open documents" i preferences an since then i haven't had

the error yet. Crossed finger, only one day have passed. But then after i activated the auto-update i out of luck saw in my history pane "updated from file"

so that means something touched my file and then PS updated it i guess ? So now i'm a little afraid of using the auto-update thing if i´m not 100% sure

of whats going on. The worst thing that could happen is stuff i make on my pictures is not saved. As i said earlier, i ones had a situation where edits i

did on pictures was not always saved ? really strange.

But i also think the hole thing is strange because i don't have a lot of extra stuff running on my working Mac. Logmein, Dropbox (not anymore) and the

free virus app "ClamXav" thats it. And yes Suitcase Fusion 3.

But as i also said earlier. Its even more strange because all this stuff started happen after i installed Snow Leopard. I had used 10.5.8 for a long time

and then one day "2 month ago" i installed SL on all our Studio computers and then it started. I never had the situation when 10.5.8 was installed.

First after 10.6.x came on. I updated the perfect running 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 from retail installer DVD and then upgraded to 10.6.6 and now all this.

Would it be safe to use the auto-update open documents. Because i don't get the warning when this is turned on ? please advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2011 9:19 AM   in reply to caligula1

I started having this problem a few months ago. Now, we have this same thread going in the NAPP forum, and folks there are equally stumped.

I don't think this is a small isolated problem, as I am hearing about it from a number of sources.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2011 9:44 AM   in reply to MichaelBrunsfeld

We're only hearing it from a few people.

And it may not be isolated, but on a clean OS install it doesn't happen, nor does it happen to most users.

There is some factor involved that hasn't been discovered yet.

But we are pretty sure that either something outside Photoshop changes the file, or that something in the OS is confused about the modification time of the file.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points