Recently I have made some changes to the .htt (master page/template) files that are used with our RoboHelp projects. It was easier to make those changes outside of RoboHelp, so I made them in a simple text editor program, making sure that RoboHelp was not open at the time. I did this for multiple projects.
Since then, RoboHelp hangs up every time you close any of these help projects or if you attempt to close RoboHelp itself with the projects open.
Things to know:
-I am using 8.0.2, so it has the latest updates.
-I am using Windows 7, 32-bit.
-I can find no code errors in the htt files themselves. (I had RoboHelp problems in one project a long time ago when I accidentally omitted a "?" in the RoboHelp header tag. Nothing like that is going on here.)
-I have tried renaming the CPD so that RoboHelp creates a new one. This does not solve the problem.
-I have tried opening the master page file in RoboHelp and then closing it. RoboHelp opens the file with no problems and does not seem to make any changes.
I have searched the forums and have found many references to RoboHelp crashes in Windows 7, but none seem to have the same cause as mine.
Has anyone else had this problem?
It does not happen with the sample projects - it appears to be only with these projects.
How would I check to see if the RoboSource servcies are running, and would that be the problem if only some projects are affected?
No not likely - it's probably something that you've done to those htt files. Do you have a back up of them? You might try swapping them out to see if that solves the issue. If so, then you know they're the culprit and you can go back in and slowly modify the file and test to see what line causes it to go off the rails.
I've confirmed once again that the problem does not happen with the "pre-modified" htt files. However, I also went through and removed each line, one by one, and then tried opening and closing the project in RoboHelp (making sure I had the htt file closed first). Nothing helped. In the end, I even tried removing everything between the RoboHelp header tags in the htt file, and I still had the problem.
I can only conclude that somehow, modifying the files outside RoboHelp, even though I did it with RoboHelp closed, has caused the problem. Is there any RoboHelp project file that keeps track of the state of these files that might notice a conflict between the current state and its last record, possibly causing the error? I don't know what else to try.
OK, now I know what causes it, but I'm not sure what to do about it yet. I'm working on it.
We have a new "@import" line in our style sheet (turns out it wasn't my htt modifications at all!!) that RoboHelp apparently doesn't like. We did this because I couldn't get RoboHelp 8 to let me asisgn multiple style sheets to topics, so I had to put an import line in one to pull in the other.
Since I did this, I have logged a feature request asking that RoboHelp allow multiple style sheet links in topics. Adobe has replied that this is possible in RoboHelp 8, but the forums had previously said it was not, and I was seeing my second link deleted, so I'll have to revisit this to see if I can get it to work one more time. If not, we'll have to live with the crash. Hope RoboHelp becomes more flexible with these things in the future!