Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program name appearing incorrectly while Uninstalling ActiveX

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having an issue with uninstalling ActiveX 10. When you go to unistall it, it will list any active programs running that are currently using ActiveX 10. My program is using ActiveX 10 while running, and will appear in that list, however, for some reason the casing is incorrect. The product name always appears in lowercase, while other progams, for instance Yahoo Messenger, will appear with the correct casing. This may not sound like the biggest issue, but part of the product name is in the casing, so I'd like to get this resolved.

My question is, where is this name being pulled from? I've checked the .exe/image name, the process name, threads, etc and cannot find where this name is being pulled from.

During uninstall, this program is called which is what is showing the incorrect cased product name: \Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10q_ActiveX.exe

I'm using a Windows 7 OS, Flash 10.3.181.14, FF4.

Any ideas or suggestions would be really helpful!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 11, 2011 Jun 11, 2011

Hello JD at Adobe,

The name that appears in the conflict dialog is your application name, in lower case letters, minus the ".exe", as it is returned by the operating system. You are correct that a few select applications appear with so called "friendly names". This is due to the fact that these applications are very popular and have been determined to be the applications that cause the most conflicts with our installers/uninstallers. In order to give our customers better feedback what application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, When Uninstalling all browser windows must be closed. Also any instant messenger services such as Yahoo, msn, aol etc need to be disabled in the system tray. Also any RealTime Anti-Virus needs disabled.

The best way to do this is to download and SAVE the Uninstaller to your Desktop. You can also download and SAVE the Installer for IE & any non-IE Installer.

Then you can close all browser windows, take care of the disabling per above. Run the Uninstaller, Reboot, then Run the Installers & Reboot. Reenable your programs before going back online.

Use the Administrator Account.

Uninstaller:   http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Installers:   http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html   Use the EXE Installer for Win/IE and Win/plugin

You can test here for all browsers when finished:  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Hope that helps and makes it easier.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it, but the issue isn't with uninstalling the program, it is with the program names listed when there is a conflict.

The program names appear to be correctly spaced and cased, however, when my application is running and causing a conflict, the program name listed isn't [Application], but instead it's [application]. I'd like to correct the casing of my program name in the uninstaller if possible, but I can't figure out where this string is coming from that is displayed in the ActiveX uninstaller.

That's really what I'm trying to figure out so I can correct the program casing, since it is part of the program trademark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Are you writing an Application for Flash Player? I don't understand your question as relating to an end user of Flash Player.

What application are you running?

You may be on the wrong Adobe Forum?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm not writing an application for Flash Player, but my application uses the player, and when uninstalling the Flash player, it displays the incorrect name in the Uninstall, and I am currently uncertain as to where the program name is being populated from in this uninstall process to correct this issue and have the uninstaller display the correct program name.

I may be in the incorrect forum, and if so I do apologize. If you know, could you tell me which forum would be best for this type of question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't understand why you think the Adobe Uninstaller is Uninstalling incorrectly. I've been on the Flash Player Forum for a time and have never heard that asked nor even discussed:-)

I've watched the Uninstaller Uninstall Flash Player from my system and have never noticed anything out of order. I would think if you have then you may be misreading what the Uninstaller is doing. You would have to ask the Developers/Programmers and let them know that they have made a mistake:-)

I certainly wouldn't be so bold as to advise them that they have made a mistake

Whether you think the Uninstaller is incorrect or not, the main point is it evidently is doing what it's programmed to do.

I would think after all of these years, the Developers/Programmers would know whether the Installer is correct or not.

Most all websites use Flash Player and many applications as well. But what you are wanting to know is not for the Flash Player Forum.

The main page has a list of Adobe Forums.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I definitely do not believe the developers have made a mistake. It's quite the opposite. I believe that I have made a mistake in the product name somewhere, and as a result the Uninstaller for Adobe lists the product name incorrectly in the Uninstaller Conflicting screen. I've attached a screenshot of the issue I'm referring to.

What is happening is when a client Uninstalls Adobe from their machine while my program is running, they will receive a conflicting application screen as below, but the application name appears as [application] instead of [Application], which the name the program is trademarked under. I'd like for the Uninstaller to display the correct name, but I'm at a loss as to where this name is being populated from, since the image/exe name, process, registry entries, and threads do not use an all lowercase casing.

Issue.png

Any idea as to where the Uninstaller is getting this name from, or a better location to post this question would be absolutely terrific.

Edit: Fixed Whitespace in Image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Ok, now you are making more sense(to me anyway):-) I'm at dinner, but wanted to let you know I'll post back in a little bit.

I think I know what the issue is now. At least I recognize the screenshots:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, thanks so much. Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if go to the windows uninstaller (control panel/uninstaller), is your program listed as "application"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, First of all when anyone is using the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller, no program should be running. That is the problem. I don't think the Uninstaller can be modified to allow that. That's my opinion. The Adobe Installer is the same way, it will issue a popup error accordingly.

You can review this Flash Player Troubleshooting Guide which has screenshots. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

Uninstaller site and info: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Those websites that a user can access to Install Flash Player do not have their own procedure, they are all directed to the Adobe sites.

I'll have someone else take a look at your thread but I doubt that anyone can modify Adobe's Products. Anyone using any Adobe Product must follow the instructions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JD at Adobe wrote:

My question is, where is this name being pulled from?

That is something only the [FP] developers can answer.

In your screenshot examples you show the application name as "application", where you would like it to read "Application".

Since you are the developer of that application, can you search the source code if you can find the string "application" anywhere?  Can you also check if the string appears anywhere in the compile and/or link output?

If you cannot find the answer, and you really need to get this resolved, I suggest that you send a PM to Chris.Campbell with a request to have a look at this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2011 Jun 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JD at Adobe,

The name that appears in the conflict dialog is your application name, in lower case letters, minus the ".exe", as it is returned by the operating system. You are correct that a few select applications appear with so called "friendly names". This is due to the fact that these applications are very popular and have been determined to be the applications that cause the most conflicts with our installers/uninstallers. In order to give our customers better feedback what applications they should close for an installation to succeed, these friendly names appear instead of raw process names.

At this point, choosing a good process name is your best way to appear in a meaningful way in the conflict dialog of our installers/uninstallers. We do not support capitalization.

However, based on your feedback, we have opened an enhancement request for a future version of our installers/uninstallers.

Thank you for being a valued Adobe Forum user.

Stephen

Flash Player Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate the response. Thanks also for creating an enhancement request for this issue.

Thanks eidnolb for all the help troubleshooting.

@pat - I checked the source code everywhere and couldn't find any instances of a full lowercase application name. Stephen's answer helps to explain why it still shows lowercase though.

@kglad - My application is cased properly in the Windows Uninstaller.

I'll mark this question as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines